Bank of Thailand expects Thai economy to return to pre-pandemic levels by year-end or early 2023 but warns of possible speed bumps

webfact

6 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Lets take some bets on this prediction.  Pre-covid levels in 6 months at a minimum they are alluding to, yet with the global economy in near recession and the USD leveling, well slowly sinking the baht and inflation just really starting to kick off, I personally do not see a recovery unti late 2024 early 2025.  Tourism is a big part of the economy and unless things change elsewhere Thailand may never see more than 15k tourists a year for awhile.

I cannot imagine what you intended to write because tourist arrivals in August were over 1.15  million! But that is some way off the 3.33 million/month needed to reach pre-covid levels (40 mill./year).

https://www.bot.or.th/App/BTWS_STAT/statistics/BOTWEBSTAT.aspx?reportID=875&language=ENG

6 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

I cannot imagine what you intended to write because tourist arrivals in August were over 1.15  million! But that is some way off the 3.33 million/month needed to reach pre-covid levels (40 mill./year).

https://www.bot.or.th/App/BTWS_STAT/statistics/BOTWEBSTAT.aspx?reportID=875&language=ENG

The K should have been an M, a fat finger typo.  Of course I then I did not check my post before hitting the save button. My mistake and thank you for pointing out the error.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

They need a quick & dirty think tank working on getting EU types to live in The Kingdom till Europe recovers from the rescission that's gonna be caused by the conflict in Ukraine. Germany's industrial behemoth will close by year end. Lots of older EU types want to spend 120 days in a warm climate. Make 150 days in Thailand simple and you'll have a couple million snow birds with EU pensions to spend.

1 hour ago, crazykopite said:

Yet more BS from these people do they not realise that there is serious conflict in Europe that could lead to another World War on top of that there are going to be major recessions in most major countries these people live on cloud cuckoo land 

...but why let common sense get in the way of a good old 'Thai ' prediction!

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand’s Covid-19 pandemic battered Thai economy is likely to see a recovery only in 2023 as the country continues to battle the rising inflation and weakening consumer confidence, the Bank of Thailand came out to announce.

The world is going to go into a recession in 2023.. expect nothing.

Hmm, not sure what basis he is making this assessment around a year-end return to pre- COVID levels.

From published figures on Thai GDP:

2020: - 6.2% 

2021: + 1.6% (one of the weakest ‘rebounds’ globally)

2022 forecast average : + 3.0%

My calculation makes that 98.2% of 2019 GDP by year-end, so a way to go yet…

9 minutes ago, realfunster said:

Hmm, not sure what basis he is making this assessment around a year-end return to pre- COVID levels.

From published figures on Thai GDP:

2020: - 6.2% 

2021: + 1.6% (one of the weakest ‘rebounds’ globally)

2022 forecast average : + 3.0%

My calculation makes that 98.2% of 2019 GDP by year-end, so a way to go yet…

https://tradingeconomics.com/thailand/gdp