New Political Party Ready To Launch

sriracha john

As you mention, this could turn into a real dogfight between the 2 big TRT alliances that seem to be forming up.

And it is from these two political parties (I shudder to think) that the next ruling coalition could come from. I shudder even more to think that Samak could then end up with a Dep. PM's position.

Yet, by participating in as many constituencies as possible, the Dems can make inroads into these areas with a divided TRT vote in the districts... a revitalized Chart Thai thrown in and the former opposition could still pull out ahead.

Much opportunity exists for many scenarios... so much can happen in the next 17 weeks.

With reports of the potential dissolution of the PPP being bantered about....stopped before they even get going...the possibilities seem near endless.

All these speculations are interesting , but pointless IMHO.

No matter who gets elected , there will never be a big shake up of the corrupt system on which this country is built .

I don't think I see your point. Are you saying that they shouldn't hold elections in Thailand?

My point is that the elections , whether legit or not I will not judge , will not lead to any significant change in the way the country is milked by a cast of buffoon politicians and their business cronies .

Very good point, but won't the guys who headed the coup be rather worried about 'revenge' from Thaksin in the future should the P.P.P win big?

Don't forget that the generals are part and parcels of the system.

The real motive of the coup is , as we all know, something that cannot be discussed in this forum.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this support is overestimated. He's been Bangkok Governor and then ran for Senate from Bangkok so we are used to his face, but he has been out of national politics for a very very long time, and even then he was constituency based MP from Bangkok.

He might appeal to Isan voters, he might not, but at the moment he is an unknown quantity, no one remember what he has actually done while in government, and Thaksin has left big shoes to fill for anyone aspiring for "champion of the poor" title.

Plus, don't under-estimate Samak. He has in the past held some very important positions

1997 (General Chavalit Yongchaiyudh)

Mr. Samak Sundaravej Deputy Prime Minister

1996 (Mr. Banharn Silpa-Archa)

1992 (General Suchinda Kraprayoon)

1990 (General Chatichai Junhavan)

Mr. Samak Sundaravej Minister of Transport

1983 (General Prem Tinsulananda)

Mr. Samak Sundaravej Minister of Transport

1976 (Mr. Thanin Kraivixien)

Mr. Samak Sundaravej Minister of Interior

1976 (M.R. Seni Pramoja)

Mr. Samak Sundaravej Deputy Minister of Interior

1975 (M.R. Seni Pramoja)

Mr. Samak Sundaravej Deputy Minister of Agriculture and Co-operatives

He was also at one stage the Deputy Secretary General of the Democrat Party....

source for all cabinet positions: http://www.cabinet.thaigov.go.th

Looks like the voters in my area will be rubbing their hands in anticipation of a "who,s gonna provide the most effective mandate that appeals to them.

In the way of a bri**, oops sorry, i mean gift.

How does the song go.......... money, money, money.

If it splits the votes up and reduces the conclusive and forgone, paid for, results of the last couple of elections, i,m all for it, but only in this scenario.

I reckon Samak will implode anyway the way he,s going and fuff it all up for them anyway. :o

marshbags

As you mention, this could turn into a real dogfight between the 2 big TRT alliances that seem to be forming up.

And it is from these two political parties (I shudder to think) that the next ruling coalition could come from. I shudder even more to think that Samak could then end up with a Dep. PM's position.

Yet, by participating in as many constituencies as possible, the Dems can make inroads into these areas with a divided TRT vote in the districts... a revitalized Chart Thai thrown in and the former opposition could still pull out ahead.

Much opportunity exists for many scenarios... so much can happen in the next 17 weeks.

With reports of the potential dissolution of the PPP being bantered about....stopped before they even get going...the possibilities seem near endless.

No matter who gets elected , there will never be a big shake up of the corrupt system on which this country is built .

I don't think I see your point. Are you saying that they shouldn't hold elections in Thailand?

My point is that the elections , whether legit or not I will not judge , will not lead to any significant change in the way the country is milked by a cast of buffoon politicians and their business cronies .

Very good point...

No, not a good point at all. Like many, many countries in the world, corruption is endemic here. That doesn't mean that the levels of corruption are the same, nor that some governments are not better than others. For those of us that actually live here (Thai and foreigner alike) who is in power does matter.

Edited by Old Man River

Very good point...

No, not a good point at all. Like many, many countries in the world, corruption is endemic here. That doesn't mean that the levels of corruption are the same, nor that some governments are not better than others. For those of us that actually live here (Thai and foreigner alike) who is in power does matter.

Do you think Abhisit will be any better ?

He is part of the system and even if he wanted to steer away from it he will be quickly embroiled in the faction politics that will destroy whatever integrity, if any , he may have.

Nothingleft, I'm afraid there's little we can agree upon, of in fact talk about, if you can't see the difference between Abhisit and Samak.

don't under-estimate Samak. He has in the past held some very important positions

That's ten years ago. Who remembers anything from that era?

Yet, by participating in as many constituencies as possible, the Dems can make inroads into these areas with a divided TRT vote in the districts.

Under the 1997 constitution you would be totally correct, but under the new constitution this doesn't apply. In fact the new constitution really does favour a large party splitting up, that is of course, providing the split is amicable, or the people involved, being able to continue working together. As far as constituent MP's are concerned, we are back to the 1991 constitution.

For Party list MP's the rules have changed dramatically..

Slimdog, can you elaborate on this?

I can't easily comprehend the impact of multi-constituency MPs. For one thing it means that little pooyais will have to campaign in larger areas, often against candidates from their own parties. That means local canvassers will be less important. Advantage Democrats. On the other hand PPP is too strong in their areas, they will probably have more power to cover larger areas than their opponents.

Perhaps if RuamJai/Matchima/Democrats coordinate their campaign and concentrate on fewer provinces they can win more seats than spreading around their limited resources.

What are the changes to party list MPs?

No need to concentrate on Samak, he could be banned, it doesn't mean anything as many could step into his shoes.

The Issan and northern voters will vote for their constituency MPs who have joined PPT, the party is the vehicle, Samak's irrelevant.

Regarding Party lists, if I remember correctly the country is divided into regions each providing 20 votes,4 regions; unlike previously where the overall number of national votes was the barometer.

This will disadvantage the Democrats who will clearly sweep all seats in the South and some in Bangkok, but being a perpetual second in the North or Issan they will pick up zero seats there.

First past the post takes all rather than proportional representation.

Matchima defers registration over poll date

Matchima group leader Somsak Thepsuthin said the registration of his party, scheduled for yesterday, was deferred after a senior member told him the election might be held before February.

"We can't schedule a date to register the party. We had asked Pradit to be coordinator in seeking other groups to merge with us, but today I will be a coordinator too," Somsak said, referring to Ruam Jai Thai leader Pradit Pattaraprasit.

He hinted that the name of Matchima Thippatai may change. "It is not a big issue but it might create a problem if we talk [about the name] beforehand. Now we have a project which is more important than the name of the party, including who will be the leader."

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont yesterday declared the general election would be held on December 23.

Matchima spokesman Rachata Phisitbannakorn said they postponed the registration because they wanted to check that the organic law dealing with political parties had been approved. Matchima Thippatai is the result of the merger of Matchima and Ruam Jai Thai.

Pradit said they were not yet prepared. "It's rather urgent for me to coordinate with other groups [in forming the party]. I have a given time and will wait and see if we can conclude it on Thursday," Pradit said.

The Ruam Jai Thai group yesterday held a religious rite as the group opened its headquarters on Lan Luang Road in central Bangkok.

However, it seemed Ruam Jai Thai wanted to form a party by itself, according to senior adviser Uthai Pimchaichon.

The former Parliament president has just joined Ruam Jai Thai. He said he had suggested the group not merge with any other, including Matchima.

"We should make the group strong before thinking of merging with another group. Even though we have no candidates, our group has to continue," he said.

Somkid Jatusripitak, founder of Ruam Jai Thai, said the group would be a "nominee" of the nation. :o He said he told members to make the group a "political institution" and to aim for "quality rather than "quantity".

Meanwhile, veteran politician and Army officer Pramuan Ruchanaseree yesterday registered a party with the election commission.

Pramuan, a former close aide to Pracharaj party leader Snoh Thienthong, registered "Pracha Mati" (Referendum) with the EC. Pramuan said "money" was not important for his party to contest the upcoming poll. He said the party had 38 candidates for Bangkok constituencies but was seeking candidates for provincial constituencies. He insisted the party would field candidates for the party-list and constituencies.

Maj-General Kattiya Sawasdiphol, a senior army officer, sent representatives to register the Sae Daeng party. The title is Kattiya's nickname. He said "Sae" comes from the chief of staff and means "cleaver", while "Daeng" (Red) is meant to represent the national flag. He said the party has only one policy and that is to investigate the work of the national police, adding it already had candidates for 400 constituencies.

- The Nation

Seven political parties apply for registration

Seven political parties have so far applied for registration to compete in the national election in the first day Election Commission open for new party registration.

The registration of new parties was allowed on Monday after the amendment to the military junta's rules to ban the action, issued shortly after it toppled Thaksin government.

The seven are as follow:

1. Chat Pattana : Piyawat Limpapan as leader

2. Sri Siam : Nitithammawat Rattanasuwan as leader

3. Prachamati : Pramuan Rojanaseree as leader

4. Phue Thai : Bannajongsak Wongrattanawan as leader

5. Sieng Prachachon : Kamjorn Chaowarat as leader

6. Sae Daeng : Maj Gen Kattiya Sawasdiphon as leader

7. Rak Thai : Dr Yuwaret Sitthicharnpanya as leader

EC will examine the applications concerning the party's name, policies, regulations and the party's meetings to know whether they qualified to be a political party or not.

- The Nation

He is part of the system and even if he wanted to steer away from it he will be quickly embroiled in the faction politics that will destroy whatever integrity, if any , he may have.

You really should take the time to get to know more about some of these people that you make comments about. Also, you are caught up on corruption, showing a lack of understanding about Thailand. You can't escape corruption in Thailand. You find ways to deal with it and limit it. The Demo's would be a giant step in the right direction. Abhisit is an ace.

Nothingleft, I'm afraid there's little we can agree upon, of in fact talk about, if you can't see the difference between Abhisit and Samak.

don't under-estimate Samak. He has in the past held some very important positions

That's ten years ago. Who remembers anything from that era?

Yet, by participating in as many constituencies as possible, the Dems can make inroads into these areas with a divided TRT vote in the districts.

Under the 1997 constitution you would be totally correct, but under the new constitution this doesn't apply. In fact the new constitution really does favour a large party splitting up, that is of course, providing the split is amicable, or the people involved, being able to continue working together. As far as constituent MP's are concerned, we are back to the 1991 constitution.

For Party list MP's the rules have changed dramatically..

Slimdog, can you elaborate on this?

I can't easily comprehend the impact of multi-constituency MPs. For one thing it means that little pooyais will have to campaign in larger areas, often against candidates from their own parties. That means local canvassers will be less important. Advantage Democrats. On the other hand PPP is too strong in their areas, they will probably have more power to cover larger areas than their opponents.

Perhaps if RuamJai/Matchima/Democrats coordinate their campaign and concentrate on fewer provinces they can win more seats than spreading around their limited resources.

What are the changes to party list MPs?

On Samak and few remembering. The selective memory of his role in events some 30 years ago is actually quite worrying.

On the election system. Here is the clause covering the party list:

(2) Eighty members of the House of Representatives shall come through election held

under proportional basis. There shall be four electoral zones, each of which shall have

equal numbers of inhabitants and adjoining one another. Each electoral zone shall have

20 members of the House of Representatives by calculating the ratio of the number of

members of the House of Representatives from the vote ratio of the political party list

which will indicate the proportion and number of members of the House of

Representatives in accordance with regulations prescribed in organic law on election of

members of the House of Representatives and selection of Senators [sentence as

published].

It seems the country is divided into 4 regions and each region gets 20 Mps by list. Within each region the party gets MPs according to the proportion of the vote they get in that region. That is if you get 10% in say region one you get 2 seats from the list. As each zone must have equal numbers of people it will be interesting to see how these are created as this could affect how parties do in each zone.

The other 320 seats are constituency based and firast past the post winner takes all. Organic laws will set the contituencies to be of equalish population size. I am not sure whether the organic laws will revert back to the large constitutencies where voters select three choices and aprties can each run three candidates, or they will be the smaller single member constituencies although something makes me think the former will be favored by the Junta as in practice it can lead to splitting of constituency between parties which is something that is higly unlikely to happen in the south but could well occur if ex-TRT factions compete against each other in their former strongholds.

A lot will become clearer as we see who lines up with who and as the organic laws get passed. Those setting constituency boundaries have a certain amount of power.

You really should take the time to get to know more about some of these people that you make comments about. Also, you are caught up on corruption, showing a lack of understanding about Thailand. You can't escape corruption in Thailand. You find ways to deal with it and limit it. The Demo's would be a giant step in the right direction. Abhisit is an ace.

Dream on

Dream on

Yes, you are right. I shouldn't dream on that you might actually take some time to learn something. OK, stick with Samak and wait for the results (if he isn't put in jail first).

Dream on

Yes, you are right. I shouldn't dream on that you might actually take some time to learn something. OK, stick with Samak and wait for the results (if he isn't put in jail first).

Keep your lecture on Thailand to yourself will you .

I have been living in Thailand for 15 years and dealing regularly with governors of state agencies, ministers and politicians...

Where did you see that I supported Samak ???

Nothingleft, do you mean you refuse to "take time to get to know more"?

Hammered, will there be ONE nationwide party list or four lists for each region? I hope it's one list for all.

Re. Samak's importance - some people believe that TRT strength lied in policies, not in locally MPs. We shall see. I tend to think that without talismanic leader they will have a lot less to offer, especially on party lists.

I have been living in Thailand for 15 years and dealing regularly with governors of state agencies, ministers and politicians...

No problem then. Next time you are dealing regularly with governors of state agencies, ministers and politicians ..., let them know that you think they are all "a cast of buffoon politicians and business cronies." This way you can deliver your message directly to them.

No problem then. Next time you are dealing regularly with governors of state agencies, ministers and politicians ..., let them know that you think they are all "a cast of buffoon politicians and business cronies." This way you can deliver your message directly to them.

:o:D

Your irony is an easy way to avoid dealing with reality.

Keep leaving in denial if it suits you.

Your irony is an easy way to avoid dealing with reality.

Keep leaving in denial if it suits you.

Living or leaving? After all that is a quote from your post yesterday is it not?

Regards

Sanoh offers himself as a reliable pillar

Major political parties urged to lean on him

Pracharaj party leader Sanoh Thienthong yesterday offered himself as a ''pillar'' for all political parties to lean on and work together toward forming a government. Speaking at the birthday party of the party's chief adviser Prachai Leophairatana at the TPI building, Sanoh said he had been in talks with various political groups about a possible merger. With no political party expected to emerge with a majority from the general election, he has asked the major groups to consider whether they wanted to play a leading role or sit in the opposition. It is crucial to join hands and a strong ''pillar'' is what they should be looking for, he said. ''We need a senior person who can pull everyone together and decide in what direction we should go. That should also prevent divisions and disputes from breaking out. Without a pillar, a merger is not possible,'' he said. ''It is already clear that the next prime minister will not be in a position to put up a one-man show,'' he said. If there is a merger, it should be under the Pracharaj party name, he said.

More news concerning other political parties continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/29Aug2007_news05.php

================================================================================

Sanoh's nearly equally famous "spaghetti-strap" wife discussed on this thread:

Culture Minister Uraiwan Thienthong Resigns

Edited by sriracha john

Sudarat to step down as head of Bangkok members

Khunying Sudarat Keyuraphan of People Power Party Wednesday announced that she would step down from head of the People Power Party's Bangkok members of Parliament.

She made the announcement during a meeting with many former Bangkok MPs.

She Wednesday urged them to set new structure to run for the upcoming election. Sudarat was banned from politics for five year.

She told the participants at the meeting that she would turn to do social works with the Thai Pueng Thai foundation during take a break from politics.

The Nation

=============================================

Gotta love the way the rats first jumped from the TRT ship, the ship was then sunk, somehow resurfaced and now rats clinging onto she ship again even when banned and now are jumping off once more. :o

Can the party actually be penalized for temporarily "harboring", frequently and openly benefiting from the services of some of the 111 that were banned from ALL POLITIOCAL ACTIVITY?

If so, that could get them out of the race even faster than Samak's own downfall.

She told the participants at the meeting that she would turn to do social works with the Thai Pueng Thai foundation during take a break from politics.

Does anyone know anything about this group?

Google revealed only 1 reference... as a single-line item on her resume from the 2005 Cabinet.... saying that she was the founder of this "project", not a "foundation."

http://www.cabinet.thaigov.go.th/eng/Sudarat_55.htm

the only other reference was this article I'm quoting from Tony.

Sudarat says she's leaving political arena

Former key Thai Rak Thai member Sudarat Keyuraphan yesterday declared the end of her role in politics. Khunying Sudarat said she had completed her last mission of entrusting former Thai Rak Thai MPs in her Bangkok faction to the care of the People's Power party (PPP), led by former Bangkok governor Samak Sundaravej. She made the announcement after she chaired a meeting of former Thai Rak Thai MPs for Bangkok at the IFCT building, once the Thai Rak Thai headquarters. She said she could now wash her hands of politics and devote herself to social work under a foundation to help the jobless.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/30Aug2007_news08.php

================================================================================

...and the political arena can now wash its soiled hands of her.... unless she turns Thaksin-ish and her quitting doesn't really mean quitting at all.

...also interesting in the article are that others are refusing to join PPP. A developing disdane for PPP?

...still would be interested in knowing more about her project or foundation

Sudarat says she's leaving political arena

Former key Thai Rak Thai member Sudarat Keyuraphan yesterday declared the end of her role in politics. Khunying Sudarat said she had completed her last mission of entrusting former Thai Rak Thai MPs in her Bangkok faction to the care of the People's Power party (PPP), led by former Bangkok governor Samak Sundaravej. She made the announcement after she chaired a meeting of former Thai Rak Thai MPs for Bangkok at the IFCT building, once the Thai Rak Thai headquarters. She said she could now wash her hands of politics and devote herself to social work under a foundation to help the jobless.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/30Aug2007_news08.php

...and the political arena can now wash its soiled hands of her.... unless she turns Thaksin-ish and her quitting doesn't really mean quitting at all.

...also interesting in the article are that others are refusing to join PPP. A developing disdane for PPP?

...still would be interested in knowing more about her project or foundation

Prommin dropping out and Sudarat dropping dropping out of the PPP game probably just identifies the PPP as more of an alliance of uber-rightists and the feudal masters of certain rural areas led by the everyone's favorite interior minister from 1976. Certainly anyone with any liberal credential would not be seen dead in such a creation. However, the return to traditional hard hiting rightist rhetoric backed up by the feudal overlords ability to deliver the votes does mean the PPP wil be a force to be reckoned with. It is hard to see a home for any of the ex-TRT leftists, liberals and more urbane city MPs. One wonders whether in the quiet peace of home this group may wonder what they actually achieved. Certainly those who have abandoned an alliance led by the cheerleader of massacres should be commended for pesumably having some principles, something that some of their own earstwhile colleagues seem to have lost by the wierd alliances they are willing to enter into and by their very selective cherry picked advancing of human rights agendas.

She's only stepping off the stage and out of the spotlight. Have a look behind the curtain. :o

Not behind the curtain Tony, but standing in the aisles at the front next to the screen peddling sweet ice-cream.

There's no better way to keep your name in the paper and look good than start or 'work' in a foundation. Just look at another mediocre politician, Paweena Hongsakun, always there to be in a picture with a distressed girl. But as a politician I can't think one one achievement to her name.

Suranand realised the benefits to 'charity' work last week with his Bangkok 50 group. Keeps him in the public eye and'doing good'!

Thaksin denies backing new Thai party

Published : Thu, 30 Aug 2007 13:06

By : Agencies

Ousted Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra denied that he was financing the upstart People Power Party, which has been taken over by his allies, his lawyer said Thursday.

More than 270 former lawmakers from Thaksin's now-defunct Thai Rak Thai party have taken over the once-obscure People Power in hopes of turning it into a vehicle for their comeback in general elections on December 23.

snip

(Thomson Financial)

I see the present situation like this. CNS know the Democrats, alone or combined with Chart Thai, may not match Palang Prachachon for seats, so their hope is the breakaway third choice to split TRT.

But they know as separate factions it would be unwieldly and difficult to control them as a functioning political unit, hence the ongoing attempts to find a leader, name, etc for a unified force.

But who will be boss? Who will pay, what will be the name, what pecking order for party lists, what policies? Almost insurmountable problems.

For Palang Prachachon things are much easier, the piper calls the tune. So we see Thaksin's buddy, Yongyuth, a national disgrace, near the top of the list. Keep the quality coming Thaksin!

I see the present situation like this. CNS know the Democrats, alone or combined with Chart Thai, may not match Palang Prachachon for seats, so their hope is the breakaway third choice to split TRT.

But they know as separate factions it would be unwieldly and difficult to control them as a functioning political unit, hence the ongoing attempts to find a leader, name, etc for a unified force.

But who will be boss? Who will pay, what will be the name, what pecking order for party lists, what policies? Almost insurmountable problems.

For Palang Prachachon things are much easier, the piper calls the tune. So we see Thaksin's buddy, Yongyuth, a national disgrace, near the top of the list. Keep the quality coming Thaksin!

I believe you have hit it on the head. The junta's attempt at national reconciliation has not worked and now there is a real fear that Thaksin will end up, once again, controlling Thailand through his nominees (real nominees), albeit from another country.

Rules will be broken and it will not be tolerated. There's no denying it. Look at the defiance and arrogance of most banned TRT members up until now, the spirit lives on...

Parties and individuals will hurt from the consequences of their acts.

That may even involuntarily cause the interim government to have to stay a little longer than predicted to sort out the electoral and judicial mess that will follow before a PROPER party is declared a winner.

Making predictions on seats, while even Samak is at the head of a party, is totally useless.