Visa Run to Savannakhet or Vientiane (Laos) from Bangkok

As said the ME visa was only available in Savannakhet and air route was extra day or two stay so most used bus to border and cross on bus and return.  As this path had been closed for several years do not know current status of hotels.

6 minutes ago, greenblue14 said:

Thanks. That's Vientiane off the radar.

I was not aware of such a big difference in cost at HCMC vs Savannakhet.

That aside I would be doing Saigon.

As you know easy to airport in Bangkok and Saigon airport close to district 1.

Ripper joint..

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I was not aware of such a big difference in cost at HCMC vs Savannakhet.

That aside I would be doing Saigon.

As you know easy to airport in Bangkok and Saigon airport close to district 1.

Ripper joint..

Obviously a lot more to do in Saigon and easy access - but if cost is major factor the Savannakhet run should be fine.  And the payment only in USD was an issue for some as believe only about two places to change money from reports several years ago and with the baht issues now may be even more of an issue.

Edit:  HCMC it is - make sure to take care of USD as believe some had last minute issues in the past with that requirement.  

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

And the payment only in USD was an issue for some as believe only about two places to change money from reports several years ago and with the baht issues now may be even more of an issue

I always obtain Dong and USD (if needed) at SuperRich green prior to leaving Thailand.

I've never had any issue exchanging currency in district 1. 

Gold shops with money exchange at rear. 

• Thanks 1

For Savannaket, I would suggest overnight VIP bus to Mukdahan (only because it connects perfectly with the early morning international bus into Savannakhet) and fly-ride on Air Asia to return from Mukdahan to Bangkok the following day.

If you actually want to spend time in Savannakhet or Mukdahan (or Ubon Ratchanthai) there are some possible alternatives.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BritTim said:

For Savannaket, I would suggest overnight VIP bus to Mukdahan (only because it connects perfectly with the early morning international bus into Savannakhet) and fly-ride on Air Asia to return from Mukdahan to Bangkok the following day.

If you actually want to spend time in Savannakhet or Mukdahan (or Ubon Ratchanthai) there are some possible alternatives.

From the OP..

"Yes that is what I'll be doing ... Saigon it is" 

Very sensible decision and what he has done previously.

• 2 weeks later...

I am filling in the Visa Application Form Non-Im (Married) Multi Entry. Appointment in Saigon on Thursday.

I haven't filled one of these out in 3 years. Here's a few questions.

Current Address: Uk address or Vietnam Hotel address?

Name and address of Local Guarantor: 

Name and address of Guarantor in Thailand: That would be spouse?

Thanks in advance.

10 minutes ago, greenblue14 said:

Current Address: Uk address or Vietnam Hotel address?

Name and address of Local Guarantor: 

Name and address of Guarantor in Thailand: That would be spouse?

Current address: Hotel in Vietnam

Local Guarantor: N/A

Guarantor in Thailand: Your spouse, yes

37 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That should be his address here in Thailand.

Not for "Current Address", they want to know where you are currently staying in HCMC.

The visa application form of the Thai consulate in HCMC has another field though, "Proposed Address in Thailand".

Edited by Caldera

More Questions.

Date of previous visit to Thailand: Is this when arrived or when departed? Sounds like when arrived.

Current address: (Saigon) They only give 2 small lines... The address is massive. Can I drop eg: Phan Ngu Loa Ward. Its a killer.

Countries for which travel document is valid: UK so write "All"?

Thanks.

21 minutes ago, greenblue14 said:

More Questions.

Date of previous visit to Thailand: Is this when arrived or when departed? Sounds like when arrived.

Current address: (Saigon) They only give 2 small lines... The address is massive. Can I drop eg: Phan Ngu Loa Ward. Its a killer.

Countries for which travel document is valid: UK so write "All"?

Thanks.

Not sure but would use date of last departure from Thailand.

If hotel or apartment would just use name.

If normal full passport would put "all"

Edited by lopburi3

Available convenient options to Savannakhet are:

1 (expensive). Air trip to Vientiane (ThaiSmile, 3500baht, about 18:30PM) followed by air trip to Savannakhet early in the morning on the next day (Lao Airlines, 1500-2000baht, 7:50AM) and taxi to the Thai embassy. You will be in front of the Thai consulate right before its opening. Before entering the consulate you should cross the road and check-in at the Macchiato de coffee hotel for 800 baht/night. This is because they will need your passport to copy on check-in.
2 (cheap). Air trip to Nakhon Phanom (800-1200baht) followed by bus trip to Mukdahan and catching a hourly bus to the Savannakhet bus station which is situated near the Thai consulate. Before entering the consulate you should cross the road and check-in at the Macchiato de coffee hotel for 800 baht/night. This is because they will need your passport to copy on check-in.

Another convenient options -  air trip to Ubon or Roi Et (1000 baht) followed by bus to Mukdahan and bus to Savannakhet.
I have not mentioned any options which include long bus trips because in my opinion they are far from being convenient.

Edited by visabouncer
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, visabouncer said:

I have not mentioned any options which include long bus trips because in my opinion they are far from being convenient

Actually with the time and search's required for air travel these days believe bus might well be convenient for some.  Used to travel the Bangkok/Hat Yai route and most trips were not that bad - blocked roads by demonstrators/burning tires on alternate roads being an exception.

But that not to minimize your post which provides great information.

35 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually with the time and search's required for air travel these days believe bus might well be convenient for some.  Used to travel the Bangkok/Hat Yai route and most trips were not that bad - blocked roads by demonstrators/burning tires on alternate roads being an exception.

But that not to minimize your post which provides great information.

I am sure you will love bus trips until one day you eat something really asian which looks innocent at the first glance. Toilets in VIP buses are very similar to gas execution chambers full of ammonia in the air. The chambers are very small and have severe shaking. No more long bus trips in my life.

On 10/4/2022 at 3:22 PM, greenblue14 said:

Yes that is what I'll be doing ... Saigon it is.

Savannakhet has an option to enter Thailand via land border crossings. So if you have visa - they will stamp your passport in seconds. Nobody will look for an opportunity to request additional 10000+ documents or ask 10000+ of clarifying questions.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I am back from my Visa run to get a Multiple entry Non-Im O visa at Saigon.

Required documents: Passport, letter from wife, Marriage  Certificate (Photocopied front and back), Blue Book, Wifes I'd card signed. That's all they ask for on the website.

Only problem was once he went through everything. He wanted to see a print out of my finances. Luckily I had my Bangkok Bank passbook with me that I had updated the week before.

He went through every page. I did say do I need that since I have to leave every 90 days. He didn't answer and sent me off to get every page of the passbook photocopied. (Not a problem as there is a shop about 100 meters away.)

Apart from that everything went smooth.