Renewing 5 Year Driving Licence

leemond

Hi

Could you tell me what is the permitted amount of time allowed between renewing a one year and a 5 year licence, also is a person still considered a legal driver (albeit with full insurance) during this period?.

Many thanks in advance

L

When I was renewing my expired one-year license at the transportation department over at Mo Chit, I was told I have up to one year to get my 5-year license after my one-year expires. I really liked the transportation department at Mo Chit, it is clean, English signs everywhere and they have a counter just for farangs.

Hi

Could you tell me what is the permitted amount of time allowed between renewing a one year and a 5 year licence, also is a person still considered a legal driver (albeit with full insurance) during this period?.

Many thanks in advance

L

You are certainly allowed a year between 1 year expiring and getting your 5 year, I know of at least one person who got their 5 year after 18 months of no licence.

As to whether you're legal to drive with an expired licence, I don't think I'd take the risk. Although as a farang you can usually get away with anything if stopped by the BiB the question of insurance and whether they will pay in the event of a bump is always on the mind.

Getting the 5 year doesn't take long if you've got all the necessary bits of paper :o

I went to the office (Mae Hong Son) last Thursday (21/06/07) and was told that 5 year licenses are no longer issued to Falang.

My wife had no trouble getting 5 years but I will have to come back next year.

I went to the office (Mae Hong Son) last Thursday (21/06/07) and was told that 5 year licenses are no longer issued to Falang.

First I've heard of this, any idea when it came in or even if it's a national directive. May be an idea to try a different office :o

As a law abiding expat, I went a week early to get my five year license. They took one look and told me that my one year license was still good and to come back after it expired. :o

As a law abiding expat, I went a week early to get my five year license. They took one look and told me that my one year license was still good and to come back after it expired. :o

Yep, standard procedure. To be eligable for a 5 year you must have held a thai licence for more than 1 year, day after it expires get a 5 year :D

Oddly enough I just got my 5 year last week.. And before going a Thai girl I know was adamant I would only get a 1 year and she was only given a 1 year (for the second time.. Expected a 5) a few weeks before..

When I went to Phuket (mid June) office they issued me a 5 year happily but did say something to my GF about this issue, she cant remember the deatails but I got one only last week.

I took a friend to the Pattaya office yesterday to get his one year licence. Notices on the wall stated you must apply for your five year licence AFTER your one year licence expires. For one day to one year after it expires you just supply the required documents and fee, if it has expired for 1-3 years you must also resit the written exam and redo the eye/perception tests and if it has expired for more than three years you must do the complete test again.

For a foreigner with a non imm visa, retirement visa, work permit etc you can renew it for a five year licence but if you only have a tourist visa they will only issue you with a further one year licence. It didn't mention VOA's.

Just one further point, if you are from a non English foreign country and your home country licence is not in English they will not accept it unless you also have an English copy certified by your Embassy/consulate. My friend is Swedish and as his licence is not written in English they refused him a Thai licence until he gets a certified copy, in English, from the Swedish Embassy.