Hernia operation Costs / Doctors / Hospital recommendations ???

RedArmy

Looks like i need a Hernia operation - Not sure what type of Hernia it is - Does anyone have any recent experience with this type of operation here in Thailand - Any ideas on costs or which hospital to go to ?? Which doctor ??? I am currently based in Krabi - Someone recommended that i go to the Bangkok hospital in Phuket but i would rather try, if possible to have it done in Krabi.

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Many, many TV members have had surgery here for inguinal and umbilical hernias.

Cost depends very much on whether done in a government or private hospital, and whether by open or laparoscopic approach. (Note that laparoscopic approach may not be available in some government hospitals).

in Krabi itself the only place for this would be the provincial hospital, a government facility. I doubt laparoscopic approach will be available there but you can ask. There may be a long wait as there are a lot of backlogs for elective surgery post COVID. Go through the "after hours" clinic (clinic nawk wela) and ask for an "acharn surgery."  Bring a Thai speaker with you and expect long waits and lots of confusing red tape.

• Thanks 2

Thankyou Sheryl, much appreciated.

This Laparoscopic approach - Is this a new advanced type of surgery ??? Quicker & must easier ???

I've heard that the Bangkok hospital in Phuket has a new advanced procedure for a Hernia operation - Maybe this is it ????

Any idea roughly how much it would cost there at that hospital ??

6 minutes ago, d4dang said:

Being overweight can complicate surgery and recovery. Hopefully you are relatively fit.

Cheers brother, I'm 55 & no previous health problems  - Normally a lively type character & far from overweight.

• Like 2

I had a hernia operation in Krabi hospital about 11 yrs ago, normal procedure. I had no problems cost in a private ward 11,000bht.

A friend  of mine also had the same procedure in the same hospital, again no problem. 
 My best friend in California had the micro procedure for a hernia, cost his insurance a small fortune. Had lots of problems afterwards.

• Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Tiger1980 said:

I had a hernia operation in Krabi hospital about 11 yrs ago, normal procedure. I had no problems cost in a private ward 11,000bht.

A friend  of mine also had the same procedure in the same hospital, again no problem. 
 My best friend in California had the micro procedure for a hernia, cost his insurance a small fortune. Had lots of problems afterwards.

Just now, Tiger1980 said:

Just a follow on from my previous post.

I went to Dr Somboons clinic in Ao nang when I first had the problem. He recommended a certain Dr at Krabi State Hospital, unfortunately I cannot remember his name. It may be worthwhile visiting Dr Somboon  and asking him for a recommendation.

• Thanks 1