ASEAN NOW columnist Rooster wins Thai Scrabble Championship 2022 by avoiding bad words!

webfact

8 minutes ago, phuketsub said:

Thanks and Congrats Rooster, 

I am in Songkhla now, but was a long time resident of Phuket working in the media there. 

However I can get over there for a Scrabble tournament. I have never actually been in one. Is there a website or something where the times, dates and guidelines are available? Thanks again. 

You can look on Facebook for EduPloys or MaxPloys though everything is in Thai. Here are the upcoming tournaments though:

1. 19/20th Nov at Central Plaza Ayutthaya

2. 17/18th Dec at Terminal 21 Korat

Next year's tournament dates won't be out until January though we normally play in Chiang Mai in January and Khon Kaen in February. Usually each year there are many tournaments in Bangkok plus others in Udon, Phuket, Surat, Sri Racha, Phitsanulok and, nearest to you, Had Yai. 

Rooster

34 minutes ago, BostonRob2 said:

How true that first sentence is! With your permission I may use it in my column. Our paths may have crossed but I never worked in those language schools; I was at Bangkok Patana 93-98 then Harrow 98-2013. Funnily Enough ECC became a big sponsor of Scrabble in Thailand in the last ten years and they once gave me a check for 30,000 baht! Happy days!

Rooster

Of course you can use it.  

On 10/11/2022 at 5:41 AM, 2baht said:

Damn, I always pictured Rooster with red hair! ????

I pictured him as a tall bloke with a touch of 'Sean Connery' about him, how disappointing to see that he has a touch of Jim Bowen (Bullseye).

????????

On 10/11/2022 at 5:41 AM, 2baht said:

Damn, I always pictured Rooster with red hair! ????

lboiilcvk9pr9vpk.jpg

5 hours ago, roo860 said:

I pictured him as a tall bloke with a touch of 'Sean Connery' about him, how disappointing to see that he has a touch of Jim Bowen (Bullseye).

????????

lboiilcvk9pr9vpk.jpg

How very dare you!!

Jim Bowen indeed. 

I'll have you know that people stop me in the streets and ask for my autograph (non Scrabble people of course) who think I am Robert De Niro.

I sign them with "Best Wishes from Bob"

Rooster (who admittedly once had "three in a bed")

15 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

Congrats to Rooster. 

At beating non-native schoolkids in a game based on your native tongue! 

????

Seriously though, congrats. ????

Haha! Thanks.

The "kids" were marveling about my play of ANTIMUON as the teacher in me regaled them about ANTIATOM, ANTINEUTRINO etc etc that are all excellent and quite likely Scrabble words from science.

I fall asleep each night to YT science vids and have checked all the ANTI- words in the dictionary in this regard.

Just call me sad.

Rooster

5 hours ago, roo860 said:

Maybe it's time to see all the faces of all those behind AseanNow. I mean, surely it must the only faceless businesses left on the web?