Thai Airways Serves Up Another Cold Meal

Payboy

This was a 12 hour journey, complete with three Mullahs getting up and giving a call to prayer twice during the flight. We were a little less than pleased.

:o:D

Down right dangerous.. All the passengers suddenly turning in one direction could have catastrophic consequences on the planes load & balance parametres.

Soundman.

Only three?

I had 5 of them on my last Thai flight and they prayed non-stop.

I had to ask a stewardess if they perhaps knew something we didn't.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Coyote, From Germany to BKK?

Lufthansa, LTU or Austrian, SAS were always good too.

BKK to Melbourne?

Qantas whenever possible, this time I had to book Malaysia Air, never tried them before, I hope they're okay.

Ping, I wish. You're right of course, what economy flight is perfect?

But some are worse than others and I quote from my bad experiences Thai (not one good flight) Gulf Air (more stops than a milk train) and BA (snotty, superior flight attendants)

Edited by qwertz

A friend flew here with THAI from Heathrow about two weeks ago. He knew they didn't have the inflight entertainment system, but a movie (only one on a 12-hour flight!) was scheduled. However, they didn't even manage that and gave no reason to the passengers. A minor point admittedly, but maybe symptomatic of the malaise that has infected THAI. Personally I tried them once about 12 years ago and wasn't impressed enough to use them again.

A friend flew here with THAI from Heathrow about two weeks ago. He knew they didn't have the inflight entertainment system, but a movie (only one on a 12-hour flight!) was scheduled. However, they didn't even manage that and gave no reason to the passengers. A minor point admittedly, but maybe symptomatic of the malaise that has infected THAI. Personally I tried them once about 12 years ago and wasn't impressed enough to use them again.

Oh Dear,pity I am booked on them to travel next Friday !

Hope you are all right about the liberal beverages.

Might get a sleep !

:o Wiley Coyote

BKK to Melbourne?

Qantas whenever possible, this time I had to book Malaysia Air, never tried them before, I hope they're okay.

I think you have made a good choice.

Malaysian are improving all the time.

Remember www.seatguru.com

Best Wishes

:o Wiley Coyote

I disagree. Qantas has the worst and smallest cattle class seat configuration of any of the major airlines. I'm only avg. height & my knees get blisters from the seat in front of me on any Qantas flight.

Also those pr!cks never let you redeem frequent flyer mileage. If you are lucky enough to get a "free flight" you end up paying more tax than buying a discounted fully inclusive ticket with Thai or Emirates on the net. Bigger scam than all the tuk tuk's in Thailand put together.

Cheers,

Soundman.

I flew Thai long haul regularly between 1998 and 2003.

No complaints; would use them again if need be.

They also allowed me to change the date for the return flight for free, something which BA at the time wouldn't.

They also allowed me to change the date for the return flight for free, something which BA at the time wouldn't.

Yeah Qantas & BA are the two biggest rippoff airlines on the planet. Want to blow your nose - no probs - $50 please.

How much is your ticket today?

Well that depends on which day it is sir.

How about Wednesday?

Are you staying the weekend?

Yes.

Well that will be double sir.

Why?

Because you forgot to book the ticket ten seconds ago & I've now got your profile.

Soundman.

I normally fly Thai to NZ,because they have a direct flight.Last flight however, there was no space when I had to head home on short notice,so I flew Emirates.The difference in service,attitude of staff etc was amazing. I do hope Thai smarten up their act.They used to be great.

Yeah Qantas & BA are the two biggest rippoff airlines on the planet. Want to blow your nose - no probs - $50 please.

How much is your ticket today?

Well that depends on which day it is sir.

How about Wednesday?

Are you staying the weekend?

Yes.

Well that will be double sir.

Why?

Because you forgot to book the ticket ten seconds ago & I've now got your profile.

Soundman.

Soundman, I'm digesting all this and beginning to feel glad I'm on MAS this time.

Come to think of it, when I said Qantas, 2 years ago was the last time with them.

Last year it was with Thai, another flight from h€ll.

This business of charging fees for changing flight dates is another one of those costs that has surreptiously slithered its way into flight travel over the years - very few airlines that don't charge these days (but unheard of years ago). Got the idea from the cheapies. How much longer before cattle class are charged for meals/drinks on international flights (which the cheapies are already doing)? Many years ago, the biggies used to charge for alcohol, but competition meant that it became complimentary. Now it's going the other way. Leave aside fuel excess and taxes...

As to IFE... When you check the flight schedules, they tell you which type of craft you will be flying on. Often airlines use different craft on one route depending upon passenger patterns. The more modern the aircraft, obviously the better will be the type of IFE.

As to 'on topic', the reasons I stopped flying Thai (five or six years ago) was a highly noticeable decline in aircraft comfort (MD-11 bangers), a deterioration in food standards and a huge decline in service standards. In particular, it was not unusual for flight attendants to be rude to some ethnic groups.

Ping, I turned down a flight on Jetstar, BKK to Melbourne because all meals and drinks were chargeable.

They must turn over plenty on a 8-9 hours flight when you can't even take liquids through security.

I hate to think how many seats they pack in.

Well i must defend what is right so let me add my 2 baht worth.  I fly long haul 10 or more times a year and in my humble, but quite experienced opinion, i would say that Thai airways inflight meals absoulutley win hands down if you compare with BA, KLM, or Airfrance etc.   :o

Ping, I turned down a flight on Jetstar, BKK to Melbourne because all meals and drinks were chargeable.

They must turn over plenty on a 8-9 hours flight when you can't even take liquids through security.

I hate to think how many seats they pack in.

- not to mention that you also have to transit through Sydney...

Well i must defend what is right so let me add my 2 baht worth.  I fly long haul 10 or more times a year and in my humble, but quite experienced opinion, i would say that Thai airways inflight meals absoulutley win hands down if you compare with BA, KLM, or Airfrance etc.   :o

I assume you are talking business rather than coach?

Well i must defend what is right so let me add my 2 baht worth. I fly long haul 10 or more times a year and in my humble, but quite experienced opinion, i would say that Thai airways inflight meals absoulutley win hands down if you compare with BA, KLM, or Airfrance etc. :o

Dear Ping,

I hope you are right.

I am already in danger of being beaten up by my daughters aged 11 & 8 as TG doesn't have an individual TV's

Thanks for a Happy Thought

:D Wiley Coyote

I assume you are talking business rather than coach?

Certainly not.  You obviously havent flew with these airlines recently.  Thai Aiways is voted 2nd best for economy class is a number of surveys - deservedly so

PS seat pitch on Thai is 34 inches compared to 31 inches BA, KLM,Air France

Edited by observer21

Gratifying to hear that things are improving. There still seem to be problems with Thai though - particularly the disconcerting fact that they have decided to lease some of their new fleet (instead of purchase) which is not the usual pattern for cash cow airlines. The A380s were to have been purchased but will now be leased and same with a portion of the A330 orders.

Well... until I see something different, I'm sticking to my guns on Thai Air. I have enjoyed it thoroughly. I've flown in economy and had more than enough leg room and I'm 6' tall and portly. I've always enjoyed the food, though I don't fly an airline and expect a 5 star restaurant. What do people expect to get from an oversized microwave oven?

I've flown business class and first class, and never noticed a difference in the attention I recieved in either of those classes. I felt like a king; the seat was comfortable, the staff friendly and the food excellent. The wine... who cares... I didn't take the flight or expect an airline to serve me a rare or delicate vintage. The did give me a glass of champagne, it wasn't a variety that one would toast a queen with, but it was palatable. I enjoyed a couple of vodkas, and even a decent cognac after the meal. Have we become so spoiled that we expect 5 star service on an aircraft and still recieve a budget price? I mean we get what we pay for... and the service I recieve is well worth the price that I've paid, every time. Don't people look at the cost of fuel? Where would one expect Thai Air to reduce costs? It can't be the huge salaries or the mega planes. It's fair service for fair price. I'm flying again in two weeks, and I'm going business class again this time. I'm a satisfied customer and will remain so until I see what most of you see. I'm going to leave my jaded opinion at work and go have some fun.

I've learned to appreciate "nice" things. Try flying in a black hawk in the middle of winter or even worse in the heat of summer, or upgrade to a Chinook or fly a first class C-130. The tickets are free... the service is the same for all... and if you're lucky, you'll get to step out rather than jump.

Some of us whine just a little too much... God forbid if the caviars too cold or salty. :o

The problem is that they have lost a lot of customers (such as myself) in the past and (presumably) most of us have found other airlines with acceptable standards. Winning back the old customers is more than a matter of meeting the competition, it is the restoration of the value of the 'brand' that is the issue. For example, you buy 'A' brand whisky and find that it burns your throat, so you change to 'B' brand whisky and find it to be smooth. 'A' brand improves its product to the standard of 'B' brand. Human nature is such that in most cases, the customer who was lost by the first experience will stay with brand 'B'.

Edited by Ping

Put it this way why would i fly to europe business class on Thai for 122,000 baht on a old 747-300 with little IFE or pay 67,000 baht on QR for state of the art IFE (the best IFE system available in the world) 165 deg bed, a wine list and champagne that you could actually toast the queen with! Food that leaves Thai Airways food looking like pedigree chum. And the use of a First / Business Class Terminal (Yes Terminal not lounge) in Doha.

Oh and to give you another example my bag missed my connection to BKK on QR - very sorry sir we will have your bag at your apartment by 10pm tonight (now 9am) but here is 7000 Baht to go get a change of clothes and amenities.....now that is great service.

Last time Thai lost my bag - sorry sir it "should" turn up tomorrow.......we dont give compensation for 24 hour delays..

These Thai Airway lovers need to open their eyes a bit and try a proper service airline for a few trips then go back to Thai.....

Oh and to give you another example my bag missed my connection to BKK on QR - very sorry sir we will have your bag at your apartment by 10pm tonight (now 9am) but here is 7000 Baht to go get a change of clothes and amenities.....now that is great service.

Last time Thai lost my bag - sorry sir it "should" turn up tomorrow.......we dont give compensation for 24 hour delays..

These Thai Airway lovers need to open their eyes a bit and try a proper service airline for a few trips then go back to Thai.....

absolutely agree with you there - lose luggage on thai and you need to go personally to collect it whenever it arrives and no compensation!

The problem I believe with Thai is that its management has been complacent for several years now believing that they are still amongst the elite of airlines without reacting to the movements of their competitors. My main gripe with them is their failure to provide a proper IFE system in Economy other than the one route mentioned in this forum to Australia. A couple of years ago Thai staff told me that economy would be upgraded on the important London route by 2006. I don’t believe anything has changed.

My choice is always Singapore, an excellent airline that reacts to the competition and keeps its aircraft fleet modern.

absolutely agree with you there - lose luggage on thai and you need to go personally to collect it whenever it arrives and no compensation!

I'm happy to pick up my own luggage rather than having it sent to me...if they deliver it, on most airlines that just means yet more time spent waiting for those extra pairs of socks. Also, the situation described above was no doubt helped by a 2nd daily QR flight which would have brought the luggage...no frequency = you wait, hence the "they SHOULD be there tomorrow" (i.e. on the next TG flight)