Apec and 3 year business visas

I have been told by Houston that it is not as easy to get as a 1 yr, and it prohibits working.

:o

There is a THREE YEAR Non-immigrant 'B' visa (not the APEC card), it's only availble from embassies and the only one I've seen with any information was IIRC the NZ embassy site.

This visa is apparently not easy to get, it's intended for business travellers and specifically prohibits work in LoS.

Thanks for the info crossy.

Does anyone know if this is the same or a new one? George's post says it is for business and work.

USA does not currently fully participate in the APEC Business Travel Card(ABTC) scheme.By fully I mean, you can use you card for fast track immigration at US airports but you still need a seperate US Visa or Visa Waiver to enter US.Furthermore, US citizens currently can't obtain an APEC card

Only 17 of 21 APEC nations fully participate.

If you enter Thailand on your APEC card you can not obtain a work permit, you must enter Thailand on a Non Imm visa to obtain a work permit.

Meetings, presentations, conferences are allowable activites when entering on your APEC card.

It is perfectly acceptable to use your APEC card to access the diplomat lane on arrivals, but then enter using your Non Imm visa(I do this all the time)

Thank you but it still does not answer my question.

Based on George's original post

Apec Card $150.

This card allows for 3 year multiple entry and does not allow work. Okay Fine. I am not interested i this since i am from the USA and can not get it anyway.

3 Year Mutiple Entry "B" Visa ( for business and work) $300

I will assume that since it is twice as much as the APEC card that it is not the same thing therefore more comments about the APEC CARD are not needed. I understand what the APEC CARD is already. I would like to know if anyone has information on this 3 Year Mutiple Entry "B" Visa ( for business and work) $300 visa not the APEC CARD.

I would like to know if anyone has information on this 3 Year Mutiple Entry "B" Visa ( for business and work) $300 visa not the APEC CARD.

Don't take this as gospel, as it comes from a number of disparate sources, but I'm about 90% certain that I'm right.

The three year muliple entry 'B' visa is a new visa which will allow - from an administrative perspective - the introduction of new work permits that have been agreed to in the 2004 Australia-Thailand free trade agreement.

As part of that agreement, Thailand agreed that to facilitate the entry of Australian workers into Thailand (and to faclitate their stay), as such Australian nationals applying for entry into Thailand under the conditions of the FTA would be granted three year work permits. My guess is, that to be able to get a three year work permit, you need an 'underlying' non-immigrant B visa of the same length. As it stood previously, it would have been impossible to grant a three year work permit if the underlying visa had a maximum of 12 months extendability.

I guess the 3 year non-immi B visa was introduced as the previous government was anticipating a slew of FTA's to be signed, where this arrangement would be 'granted' as part of the negotiations. But, as it stands, Thailand has only mananaged to sign any substantive FTA's with Australia and NZ, so I'm guessing that is why you don't hear too much about these visa's.

As I alluded to, I'm fully prepared for my theory to be shot down in flames, but I suspect that it is correct.

I would like to know if anyone has information on this 3 Year Mutiple Entry "B" Visa ( for business and work) $300 visa not the APEC CARD.

Don't take this as gospel, as it comes from a number of disparate sources, but I'm about 90% certain that I'm right.

The three year muliple entry 'B' visa is a new visa which will allow - from an administrative perspective - the introduction of new work permits that have been agreed to in the 2004 Australia-Thailand free trade agreement.

As part of that agreement, Thailand agreed that to facilitate the entry of Australian workers into Thailand (and to faclitate their stay), as such Australian nationals applying for entry into Thailand under the conditions of the FTA would be granted three year work permits. My guess is, that to be able to get a three year work permit, you need an 'underlying' non-immigrant B visa of the same length. As it stood previously, it would have been impossible to grant a three year work permit if the underlying visa had a maximum of 12 months extendability.

I guess the 3 year non-immi B visa was introduced as the previous government was anticipating a slew of FTA's to be signed, where this arrangement would be 'granted' as part of the negotiations. But, as it stands, Thailand has only mananaged to sign any substantive FTA's with Australia and NZ, so I'm guessing that is why you don't hear too much about these visa's.

As I alluded to, I'm fully prepared for my theory to be shot down in flames, but I suspect that it is correct.

Thanks for giving it a shot Samran. You may be right but would that work with the multiple entry visa ? I am on a multiple entry now and my work permit is only valid for the 90 days that my stamp is good for. I have to pay the 750 baht for my work permit every 90 days when i leave the country to get a new stamp in my passport..

"It is perfectly acceptable to use your APEC card to access the diplomat lane on arrivals, but then enter using your Non Imm visa(I do this all the time) "

kiakaha:

In your case do you have a Multiple entry visa (1800 baht) attached to your 12 month visa?

I was hoping that you may not need this if you can go in on your APEC card and are prepared to leave within the 60 days then re-entering (similar to a visa run).

I have had my Retirement visa longer than my APEC card and not wanting to give it up for just the card. I do not spend much more than 14 days at a time in Thailand until my full retirement next year when I will not be eligible for the business card.

So do you still multiple enter on your APEC card or do you have a Multiple entry visa as well?

I have a non imm b visa, and a work permit, I get 1 yearly immigration permit extensions and have a re-entry permit.Standard stuff for people who work legally in LOS.

when i enter thailand i use the apec card only to give me the right to go through the diplomat lane, I use my re-entry permit to pass though immigration.

Thank you :D

So I take it in my case as well I will have to continue getting a multiple re-entry permit each time I renew my Retirement visa. :o

Thanks for giving it a shot Samran. You may be right but would that work with the multiple entry visa ? I am on a multiple entry now and my work permit is only valid for the 90 days that my stamp is good for. I have to pay the 750 baht for my work permit every 90 days when i leave the country to get a new stamp in my passport..

I'm sure you already understand, that your non-immi B (and then your work permit) are extendable up to 12 months provided that your employer meets the conditions that allow your visa to be extended. If you meet such conditions then there is no need to come back and forth every 90 days (and have your WP renewed every 90 days). Otherwise, as Sunbelt has explained many times, your situation is entirely doable and legal.

In terms of a 3 year multi entry, assuming you'd be eligible for it, I can't see why you couldn't continue your current practice. But, I'm guessing that to get the 3 year version would require the applicant to jump some pretty high hurdles, ones which probably only employees of Australian multi nationals could meet (and hence, the three year extension granted towards the end of the first 90 day entry). Again, on this last point, I could be totally wrong...

I'm sure you already understand, that your non-immi B (and then your work permit) are extendable up to 12 months provided that your employer meets the conditions that allow your visa to be extended. If you meet such conditions then there is no need to come back and forth every 90 days (and have your WP renewed every 90 days). Otherwise, as Sunbelt has explained many times, your situation is entirely doable and legal.

In terms of a 3 year multi entry, assuming you'd be eligible for it, I can't see why you couldn't continue your current practice. But, I'm guessing that to get the 3 year version would require the applicant to jump some pretty high hurdles, ones which probably only employees of Australian multi nationals could meet (and hence, the three year extension granted towards the end of the first 90 day entry). Again, on this last point, I could be totally wrong...

If I was going to get the one year extension inside the country i would only get the single entry "B" visa. It is less expensive and is all that is needed to get the one year extension from immigration. Is immigration implementing a 3 year extension to coincide with the 3 year visa for Australians. Also if this is the visa referred to then why would it be listed in Penang's price list ? i would think that this visa would have to be obtained in Australia.

Increased visa fees from July 2, 2007

Penang is issuing Multi entry visas again

As of July 2, 2007, the Royal Thai Embassies and the Royal Thai Consulates will raise the visa fees as follows:

1. NON-IMMIGRANT VISA

o US $60.00 for single entry

o US $150.00 for multiple entries

o US $150.00 (APEC Multiple Entries)

o US $300.00 (Three-year Non-Immigrant "B" for Business and Work)

If I was going to get the one year extension inside the country i would only get the single entry "B" visa. It is less expensive and is all that is needed to get the one year extension from immigration. Is immigration implementing a 3 year extension to coincide with the 3 year visa for Australians. Also if this is the visa referred to then why would it be listed in Penang's price list ? i would think that this visa would have to be obtained in Australia.

No idea why it is on Penang's pricelist, but then again, if it is just a circular given out by the mothership (MFA) then that is probably why it is there. As for getting the three year visa in penang, I haven't seen reports yet them being issued from there, but I doubt there would be anything stopping a qualified Australian (for instance) applying for one there...unless I missed it in the text of the FTA agreement, and that all 3 year applications must be made in OZ.

Again, happy to have my theories blown out of the water. I'm just trying to make some semi-educated guesses based on the lack of anything else to go by! :o

No idea why it is on Penang's pricelist, but then again, if it is just a circular given out by the mothership (MFA) then that is probably why it is there. As for getting the three year visa in penang, I haven't seen reports yet them being issued from there, but I doubt there would be anything stopping a qualified Australian (for instance) applying for one there...unless I missed it in the text of the FTA agreement, and that all 3 year applications must be made in OZ.

Again, happy to have my theories blown out of the water. I'm just trying to make some semi-educated guesses based on the lack of anything else to go by! :D

for the benefit of you and all the other speculators.

the 3 year Visa is avaialble for over a year now.

the 3 year visa is for buisness only and does not permit work. you can do business but not actually work.(ask your lawyer he will explain the difference)

you can only apply at your source country and need to prove what your business is.

they are not hard to get if you comply with the Required Documentation.

I helped a friend getting the documents he went to his country and got it with no hassle.

if you wish to apply then use the following link with all the info

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2498

good luck :o

Again, happy to have my theories blown out of the water. I'm just trying to make some semi-educated guesses based on the lack of anything else to go by! :o

And I appreciate it. You are the only one giving any logical explanations even though they are not the ones i want to hear. Such is life.

Again, happy to have my theories blown out of the water. I'm just trying to make some semi-educated guesses based on the lack of anything else to go by! :D

for the benefit of you and all the other speculators.

the 3 year Visa is avaialble for over a year now.

the 3 year visa is for buisness only and does not permit work. you can do business but not actually work.(ask your lawyer he will explain the difference)

you can only apply at your source country and need to prove what your business is.

they are not hard to get if you comply with the Required Documentation.

I helped a friend getting the documents he went to his country and got it with no hassle.

if you wish to apply then use the following link with all the info

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2498

good luck :o

Thank You. I am going to assume this to be the one they are referring to even though george's post did say for business and work.

is the 3 year visa open to anyone or only APEC members ?

Available only to citizens of APEC countries. Worth ten times its weight in gold. I've just applied for mine - NZ$150 for the New Zealand version.

Bendix, just reviewed the Business Mobility site and it appears the APEC card provides many benefits for entry and exit, but I could not see the allowed period of continuous stay (eg stay for x days per visit) as it is in the spirit of doing business one would expect that you would be granted entry for some finite time.

Can you shed any light on the aspects of " for the duration of x days, and what reporting of location in the Kingdom" and duration requirements there are??

is the 3 year visa open to anyone or only APEC members ?

Available only to citizens of APEC countries. Worth ten times its weight in gold. I've just applied for mine - NZ$150 for the New Zealand version.

Bendix, just reviewed the Business Mobility site and it appears the APEC card provides many benefits for entry and exit, but I could not see the allowed period of continuous stay (eg stay for x days per visit) as it is in the spirit of doing business one would expect that you would be granted entry for some finite time.

Can you shed any light on the aspects of " for the duration of x days, and what reporting of location in the Kingdom" and duration requirements there are??

http://www.businessmobility.org/key/ABTCAr...sMarch2006.html

Navigate to the above link.

I believe the column titled "Length of stay granted to foreign ABTC holders" is what you are looking for.

Increased visa fees from July 2, 2007

Penang is issuing Multi entry visas again

As of July 2, 2007, the Royal Thai Embassies and the Royal Thai Consulates will raise the visa fees as follows:

1. NON-IMMIGRANT VISA

o US $60.00 for single entry

o US $150.00 for multiple entries

o US $150.00 (APEC Multiple Entries)

o US $300.00 (Three-year Non-Immigrant "B" for Business and Work)

Hey, you are on to something there. A friend has recently gone to Vientiene and got the 3 year visa. The kicker is he is an American! He said that he went with the intention of getting this visa. He has a registered company here in Thailand that is active and I think he has a work permit. When he applied at Vientiene, the front line lady told him no way. He asked to speak with the consular and was denied. He pushed pretty hard and got to see him, explained the nature of his business here, and got it.

Last week he went abroad and came back. The immigrations lady acted like she had never seen one and commented on it with a big smile.

So the mystery continues. I will get the exact skinny from him and report back.

Hey, you are on to something there. A friend has recently gone to Vientiene and got the 3 year visa. The kicker is he is an American! He said that he went with the intention of getting this visa. He has a registered company here in Thailand that is active and I think he has a work permit. When he applied at Vientiene, the front line lady told him no way. He asked to speak with the consular and was denied. He pushed pretty hard and got to see him, explained the nature of his business here, and got it.

Last week he went abroad and came back. The immigrations lady acted like she had never seen one and commented on it with a big smile.

So the mystery continues. I will get the exact skinny from him and report back.

Thanks for the info. Hope the skinny you get from him is promising for us all.