Orbital sander is this right?

proton

Yes - this is correct for orbital sander.  Then there are 'dual-action orbital sanders' - that are best for buffing and polishing cars.

A belt sander is the one that 'spins around very fast'. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, proton said:

Never used one before, arrived yesterday. While it vibrates or oscillates at different speeds the sanding disk turns round very slowly on all settings. I thought it was meant to spin round very fast? 

I certainly hope that it doesn’t vibrate very much, though cheap ones do. It also seems that you may have a faulty unit. It also isn’t clear exactly what you have.

I have a tool that is both an orbital sander and a random orbital sander, in the (geared) orbital mode it runs at 320~660 revolutions per minute and 3,300 to 6,800 orbits per minute, in the random orbital mode the speeds are the same with no load but reduced if you put pressure on it

So in summary the paper orbits very fast but rotates 10 times slower.

If you have a disk sander it will spin fast and create sanding tracks very easily 

Edited by sometimewoodworker

3 hours ago, proton said:

Maybe got the wrong thing then, better not tell the Mrs or it will be I knew you should not have bought that for the next few days!

What purpose did you buy it for? Also exactly what model did you buy?

I’ve been using a verity of sanders for about 50 years so may be able to be of some help.

9 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I certainly hope that it doesn’t vibrate very much, though cheap ones do. It also seems that you may have a faulty unit. It also isn’t clear exactly what you have.

I have a tool that is both an orbital sander and a random orbital sander, in the (geared) orbital mode it runs at 320~660 revolutions per minute and 3,300 to 6,800 orbits per minute, in the random orbital mode the speeds are the same with no load but reduced if you put pressure on it

So in summary the paper orbits very fast but rotates 10 times slower.

If you have a disk sander it will spin fast and create sanding tracks very easily 

Using it to get adhesive off metal roof panels, got it going ok. Main problem is the sanding disks fly off well before they start to wear, even though I pressed them well on and the hooks do not look melted. Only one job so I might try gluing them on. At this rate it would have been better to have the panels off and replaced, but getting it done at a sensible price seems difficult

I got this one

https://www.lazada.co.th//products/i3959756821-s15300940827.html?spm=a2o4m.cart.0.0.210e6108h6PiE4&urlFlag=true

Edited by proton

1 minute ago, proton said:

Using it to get adhesive off metal roof panels,

That is certainly one of the last tools I would use unless the adhesive is as hard as a rock.

The problem is that even if the adhesive is as hard as a rock the sander generates heat so softening the glue that then melts onto the sanding disks this causes the paper to grab onto the adhesive more than the hooks. 

More information (as well as pictures) will help in trouble shooting.

It is also quite possible that the hook material on the sander is cheap and nasty (you haven’t given specs yet) there are replacement hook pads available.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I can’t see any adhesive there. I would be inclined to try a heat gun and scraper if you are trying to strip the insulation.

think it is dried adhesive, the areas that are white and not dried I got off with a heat gun that worked well. Might try a flap wheel sander on a drill as well, thanks.

33 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I can’t see any adhesive there. I would be inclined to try a heat gun and scraper if you are trying to strip the insulation.

Got all the insulation off it's just the brown dried on glue to get off. Wire brush works well but slow and messy and they wear down quickly.

Edited by proton