Extend visa in arrival only once?

This seems to be changed since the last time I was in the Kingdom (2020). Used to extend twice at immigration before needing to exit the country or do a border run at Mae Sai (still an option?).

So am I understanding it correctly that it's now only one extension at immigration?

Dutch passport, thx in advance.

You can only apply for one 30 day extension of a visa exempt entry. It has been that for many years.

In 2020 there were some special 30 day extensions due to coivid 19.

The Mae Sai crossing is closed to foreigners like all other crossings to Myanmar. The nearest crossing open is to Laos.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can only apply for one 30 day extension of a visa exempt entry. It has been that for many years.

The Mae Sai crossing is closed to foreigners like all other crossings to Myanmar. The nearest crossing open is to Laos.

Just to clarify "only  one 30 day extension of a visa exempt entry":

You  could however (am I correct) go

Enter = 45 plus one extension = 30 (total 75 days)

Now leave the country

Return with 45 days PLUS another 30 day extension (total 75 days)

Am I correct or is this 2nd 30 days not allowed?

On 10/13/2022 at 3:04 PM, ubonjoe said:

Thanks for the answer. I would have bet I did 2 extensions before leaving the country prior to 2018 but not sure as I had to renew my passport in 2018 so can't remember or check.

So looks like I'm heading to Laos or Malaysia as those countries offer visa on arrival for me and get ready to spar with immigration upon return to the Kingdom.

Thx again guys for clarifying.

On 10/13/2022 at 7:15 PM, DrJack54 said:

Correct.

You can obtain one 30 day extension per entry to Thailand.

Your border bounce provides a new entry. 

It just hit me that THIS is the point of border runs hah

So in reality, you can obtain your first visa exempt entry, then get your extension, leave the country and start the process all over again? So as long as you're leaving the country, you can keep on obtaining the visa exempt entry extension in perpetuity?

5 hours ago, phills2k1 said:

It just hit me that THIS is the point of border runs hah

So in reality, you can obtain your first visa exempt entry, then get your extension, leave the country and start the process all over again? So as long as you're leaving the country, you can keep on obtaining the visa exempt entry extension in perpetuity?

Perpetual? No. Now we are talking 'grey' area and to the interpretation of said immigration officer. Of course it's not meant to be used like you say, the visa system, hence the many different types of visa. I just don't and can't handle the BS the embassy throws at me every time I went in so I stopped after a few visits and got in the 'on arrival' business.

In my experience after 12 years coming and going, I got held up once at immigration for 2 hours and had to explain why I was in Thailand for 6 months the previous year. Naturally my wise a#@ answer 'I love Thailand' wasn't enough, and their response was that I was living in Thailand. Long story short I had to buy a ticket out right then and there before the 30 days of my visa ran out. Which I did and didn't use. I would say there is a difference between immigration at the airports (hard) and getting extensions at the offices (easy). But I'm by no means an expert on the subject so take it as you will.

14 hours ago, Kammie said:

Thanks for the answer. I would have bet I did 2 extensions before leaving the country prior to 2018 but not sure as I had to renew my passport in 2018 so can't remember or check.

This from the immigration order issued in 2014 that allowed the extension of visa exempt entries that has not been changed since it was issued.

image.png.db610142f87588175fb7f777c84f7c6e.png

5 minutes ago, phills2k1 said:

Thanks.  Plus extensions?

Each entry with a tourist visa or visa exempt can be extended by 30 days. 

Example currently a border bounce and reenter visa exempt would give a 45 day stamp and that can be extended by 30 days at your immigration office.

Be aware only 2 visa exempt entries via land per calendar year.

In theory visa exempt entries via air unlimited.

However continual back to back is not an option.

Edited by DrJack54

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd give an first hand update:

Just did the Laos border run at Chong Mek, most relaxed border run ever! I don't know if I came at the right time (15:00) or what but literally everything went smoothly, didn't have to wait anywhere. Got off the plane at Ubon (12:00), free shuttle bus waiting to the bus terminal. At the bus terminal a minivan (100 baht) was waiting for me to get on and leave immediately. 2 hour drive because a road was flooded and we took a detour.

I just forgot to get USD somewhere so had to pay 2000 baht instead of the $40 for the visa on arrival, but that's totally on me. Filled out 2 forms at the newly built immigration building on the Laos side, went through immigration and turned around straight away. Got my 45 days and I'm off to the airport back to DMK. The whole border formalities took less than 45 minutes. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Kammie said:

At the bus terminal a minivan (100 baht) was waiting for me to get on and leave immediately. 2 hour drive because a road was flooded and we took a detour.

Interesting account.   Question: when you say the minivan "was waiting for me", does this mean you booked it in advance?

Also, what do you estimate the Ubon-Chong Mek drive to be normally, when no floods?

Thanks.

7 hours ago, blazes said:

Interesting account.   Question: when you say the minivan "was waiting for me", does this mean you booked it in advance?

Also, what do you estimate the Ubon-Chong Mek drive to be normally, when no floods?

Thanks.

No didn't book anything, just got lucky as in normally the minibuses wait to get full before driving off. 

Normally should take 1,5 hour for the 90km trip.

• Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, Kammie said:

Dutch passport, so visa on arrival for both countries in my case.

Dutch passport so Visa on Arrival in Laos, Visa Exempt in Thailand

It might sound pedantic but the Visa Exempt most countries get is very different than the Visa on Arrival people with Indian/Chinese etc... passports get when coming to Thailand

E.g. A Visa on Arrival cannot be extended (you'd be given 7 days if you tried) whereas a Visa Exempt can be extended once for 30 days (I suppose if you tried again you'd also get the 7 days for extension denied). 

• Thumbs Up 1