Travel insurance for old Brit expat living in Thailand who wants to visit other ASEAN countries - Information needed - can anyone help?

pollyog

We are a British couple living in Thailand for 12 years.   We want to start travelling again but our pre-Covid insurer (who was based in UK but covered us anyway) does not cover anyone over 79 years and my husband is now 80. (I'm 72).  Anyone know of a site that offers cover for travelling FROM Thailand to other Asian areas for old fogies?   We are both in good health with no major medical conditions, no medications. Trouble is all the sites I seem to find want you to be resident in the UK for cover and I have to search in English as I can't read Thai.   

the problem OP has is that travel insurance is very much based on where you reside to begin with, and they have lived in Thailand for many years now. So cannot get a Western-issued travel policy. And Thai issued policies won't cover their ages.

OP I am confused as to why you want cover only for your trips and not for your stay in Thailand? Given your ages your best bet would be general expat policy which would cover you both in Thailand and other countries. Do either of you have any underlying chronic health ocnditions?

3 hours ago, norfolkandchance said:

Try ‘Journeyman services’ UK company. There published age limit is 79 but may be able to help.

Edited by pollyog
Accidentally listed, have replied below

3 hours ago, norfolkandchance said:

Try ‘Journeyman services’ UK company. There published age limit is 79 but may be able to help.

Actually Journeyman was who we used to be with but they are sticking to the 79 age limit.  Thanks anyway.

Reply to Sheryl        Didn't know we could get expat cover that is not total health care cover, which is very expensive.   In the past 12 years our health care costs have been equivalent to 2 years' premium costs so we have saved a lot by being self-funding for health issues.  Guess we could see what sort of insurance the airline offers (if any), I know some airlines have policies for the duration of the holiday.

16 hours ago, pollyog said:

Reply to Sheryl        Didn't know we could get expat cover that is not total health care cover, which is very expensive.   In the past 12 years our health care costs have been equivalent to 2 years' premium costs so we have saved a lot by being self-funding for health issues.  Guess we could see what sort of insurance the airline offers (if any), I know some airlines have policies for the duration of the holiday.

I am not sure what you mean by "total health care cover". Expatriate healht policies (non-travel) come in various forms, from complete in  and outpatient (prohibitively expensive) to emergency care only. They also offer deductible (excess) options which lower premiums.

Even so, premiums at your ages are not low.

It is a huge mistake to assume past medical costs are a predictor of what they will be going forward, especially for people over 70.

At your ages the best option I know of is Cigna Global

https://www.cignaglobal.com/individuals-families/international-health-insurance

ytou can get quotes online for varying levels of cover & deductible options. I recommend not to enter your real phone number as you will be inundated with sales calls.

If you decide to get it, do so through a broker as they can help with any claims issues later.

45 minutes ago, pollyog said:

Thanks for this info, will check it out.

I have just had a look and yes up to 85.

I am going to Vietnam in Feb and have normally used AXA Smart Traveller, age limit on that is 75 and as I am now 75 not sure if they would still cover.

Good to find an alternative.

Vietnam still has an insurance requirement to enter so not an option.