7-Eleven credit card payments

bbi1

I remember reading a couple of years ago that 7-Eleven started to accept Visa credit card payments for transactions over 100 baht, however I've only ever seen people pay with cash.

Is 7-Eleven now accepting both Visa & Mastercard credit card payments & do they accept non-Thai credit cards?

Do they have a surcharge for using the card & is there a minimum transaction amount?

They accept all credit & debit cards here in Phuket 7-11's, I'm using my European and Asian Visa, Mastercard, UnionPay credit and debit cards, no surcharge, no minimum transaction amount.

I remember in Family Marts (those few which survived Covid era) they didn't accept debit card or something, but not really sure it was long time ago, I can't remember last time I used Family Mart, in my area they all closed and never reopened, but all 7-11's reopened and having great business now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bbi1 said:

however I've only ever seen people pay with cash.

Not too many Thai customers in a convenience store will have a credit card.

But cash only? Then you missed something.

A lot of payment options with smartphone and/or ID card (QR code for banking app whatever)

Lost oversight.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Being stuck behind people using plastic for simple, inexpensive shopping takes the convenience out of 7-11 / convenient stores & fast food vendors.  Use a phone app if you must.

Annoying & inconsiderate

If it was a simple tap and pay, it would be fast and easy.... but so many customers seem to perform complex processes, like membership etc, same at express lanes in Big C....

15 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

If it was a simple tap and pay, it would be fast and easy.... but so many customers seem to perform complex processes, like membership etc, same at express lanes in Big C....

Same with idiots paying cash...

... Come to register ... have to search for member card, after in line waiting

... Done ringing everything up, now have to find and take money out of wallet/purse.  Oh wait, I have 25 satang in the bottom of my purse somewhere ... hold on

I check out of Makro, try to have all price bars facing up, and if in express lane, card out before person in front of me is done, then it's scan scan scan ding ding ding ... cash in hand already and I'm gone.

Anything else is simply rude & inconsiderate.  People got better thing to do, than wait for me acting like an idiot.  Only been there about 1000 times, does it really take longer to figure out the process.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

On 10/16/2022 at 12:47 AM, bbi1 said:

Is 7-Eleven now accepting both Visa & Mastercard credit card payments & do they accept non-Thai credit cards?

I always use my US visa/MC in 7/11 for anything more than 300 baht. For less than 300 baht, I have don't use CC in Thailand. Hence, not sure. 

I always pay with a USA Visa Card in 7-11 up here in Issan and in BKK.  NO surcharge.  No issues what so ever other than the card machine being down once in a great while.  They take Master Card but not AX

On 10/16/2022 at 2:44 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Not too many Thai customers in a convenience store will have a credit card.

But cash only? Then you missed something.

A lot of payment options with smartphone and/or ID card (QR code for banking app whatever)

Lost oversight.

About a month ago I forgot my wallet and credit cards at home. Visited 3 different 7-11 and none of them accepted banking app\QR payment.

On 10/17/2022 at 9:22 AM, KhunLA said:

Being stuck behind people using plastic for simple, inexpensive shopping takes the convenience out of 7-11 / convenient stores & fast food vendors.  Use a phone app if you must.

Annoying & inconsiderate

Ridiculous. The CC transactions are quicker and more convenient for everyone. People rummaging thru their pockets and handbags for their money and 7-11 staff having to go to the "change maker" to break even B100 bills takes much longer than the touch & go CC transaction. Haven't used cash in a 7 for going on 2 years. ????

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/16/2022 at 1:00 PM, sallecc said:

They accept all credit & debit cards here in Phuket 7-11's, I'm using my European and Asian Visa, Mastercard, UnionPay credit and debit cards, no surcharge, no minimum transaction amount.

I remember in Family Marts (those few which survived Covid era) they didn't accept debit card or something, but not really sure it was long time ago, I can't remember last time I used Family Mart, in my area they all closed and never reopened, but all 7-11's reopened and having great business now.

Family Mart near us suddenly closed. They had no local customers whatever because of the seriously rude/abusive and unhelpful staff.

Only customers were Sth. Asians staying at next door hotel. To these customers they were even more abusive. 

Edited by scorecard

2 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

About a month ago I forgot my wallet and credit cards at home. Visited 3 different 7-11 and none of them accepted banking app\QR payment.

7/11s only accept TrueMoney for QR code payments, not PromptPay. Which annoys me as well 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Caldera said:

7/11s only accept TrueMoney for QR code payments, not PromptPay. Which annoys me as well 

As mentioned I lost oversight about their options.

That happens if a billionaire clan not only owns 7/11 franchise but also True (and much more). A country on the path to oligopoly (owned by a handful of clans).

Edited by KhunBENQ

how many times have I stood in a store line behind several people for 5 minutes waiting to pay...then the person, usually a gal it seems, who has been standing there twiddling her thumbs/phone/hair gets her order rung up and only then does it seem to occur to her oh you mean i have to pay? 

well just hold on while i search through my massive purse to find some money or a credit card or even  write a check...are these people that oblivious, rude, or just plain stupid not to be ready with your cash or card before it's your turn to pay?  and this is mosty in usa for me though of course it could be anywhere...grow a brain.

There is no minimum and no service charge.

The card reads are in front of the cash registers, where you insert your card to pay. The cashiers do not handle your card. It's a safe, convenient and fast way to pay.

Edited by Thailand J