Question about Chainsaws.

Formaleins

Wonder if anyone can answer this query for me regarding chainsaws, bars and chains? I recently wrote off my old Husqvarna saw and am buying a new Stihl. The new saw comes with a 3/8" pitch chain with a 0.63" gauge bar / chain combination.

I have my original Stihl bar which is also a 3/8" pitch, but has a 0.050" gauge bar / chain. Am I correct in thinking that as long as the pitch is the same that matches the sprocket, I can change between the two bar chain combinations.

From what I can gather, as long as the pitch is the same, then the bar / chain combination can be swapped out as long as the gauge of the bar matches the chain. 

The other question is, would there be a chance that using the smaller gauge chain on the much more powerful (5.4 HP) that the chain might snap?

Thanks!

9 hours ago, Formaleins said:

From what I can gather, as long as the pitch is the same, then the bar / chain combination can be swapped out as long as the gauge of the bar matches the chain. 

Not necessarily. It depends on the type of sprocket. The drive link profile and gauge must match the sprocket too, especially with a closed, grooved type of sprocket as opposed to older type of open sprockets. If the gauge doesn't match then it will run sloppy and create excessive wear. 

9 hours ago, Formaleins said:

The other question is, would there be a chance that using the smaller gauge chain on the much more powerful (5.4 HP) that the chain might snap?

No. Drive link gauge is not likely a factor in strength. Breakage would depend more on quality of the chain and wear and tear during its working life. I you have beat it up, pinched it in cuts and bent the connecting links, and/or hit rocks, and/or the auto-oiler has not been fully functional for lubrication then be afraid. Don't take a chance, a broken chain can tear you up ugly. Got chaps?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, drtreelove said:

Not necessarily. It depends on the type of sprocket. The drive link profile and gauge must match the sprocket too, especially with a closed, grooved type of sprocket as opposed to older type of open sprockets. If the gauge doesn't match then it will run sloppy and create excessive wear. 

No. Drive link gauge is not likely a factor in strength. Breakage would depend more on quality of the chain and wear and tear during its working life. I you have beat it up, pinched it in cuts and bent the connecting links, and/or hit rocks, and/or the auto-oiler has not been fully functional for lubrication then be afraid. Don't take a chance, a broken chain can tear you up ugly. Got chaps?

Thanks, so can the bar/chain combination be swapped or not?

20 hours ago, Formaleins said:

Thanks, so can the bar/chain combination be swapped or not?

My opinion: only if you are absolutely sure it is a match, and I don't think you will find that it is for certain.  The 0.050 drive links will likely slop around in the 0.063 spocket. It may work, but a perfect fit is better.  IMO there is no great risk, but it may wear out your sprocket faster than it should.  That decision is best made with manufacturers specs, or an experienced saw shop tech/mechanic in logging country. 

I'm not a chainsaw mechanic, just an experienced tree worker and accident-free chainsaw operator for over 50 years. You will get better expert advice from a dealer or a specialized users forum. Like this:

Bar driver link gauge 0.050 vs 0.058 | Outdoor Power Equipment Forum (opeforum.com)

Your new Stihl saw is a money-maker and a serious investment. If you really need the second bar and chain, why not take the guess work out of it and just fork out for a compatible 3/8 x 0.063 bar and chain?  You can make the hundred bucks back in a day, can't you?  What are you doing, logging, milling?  Not in Thailand I assume.