Pilonidal cyst / sinus

jezmilar

Hello everyone,

Unfortunately, I have pilonidal cyst / sinus and it needs to be removed because it started to hurt and get bigger a few days ago.

I have two options:

1. Apply topical antibiotic. Will this work? It's just a cream, so I'm not sure if it would kill the infection / bacteria. Please advise.

2. Undergo a surgery and have it removed. Now this is the expensive choice. I called five differerent hospitals and they all quoted 60k-90k to have it removed and admit 1 night. Does anyone know a reliable hospital which is not this expensive? Bangkok area.

I don't have an insurance. Getting one now would be too late, right? They wouldn't cover the fees because I already have this pilonidal cyst, is that correct? Because if yes, then I don't want to bother with insurance...

Thank you :(

A cream will not help much. At the very most it may reduce the infection but the pilonidal tract remains and will infect again. And odds are it won't even reduce the infection as the infection is deep inside.

You need surgery. And no, an insurance policy taken out now will not cover it.

Have you tried St Louis and Bangkok Christina Hospitals? Best to see general surgeon first and then get estimate, when you call or email it is clerks who respond and they tend to estimate high. They also estimate based on charts and their idea of what an equivalent procedure is, may not be correct.

One night stay is not really necessary. It can be a day surgery.

Other option is to go to a government hospital. There will be long waits and red tape (you need a Thai speaker with you) but I think cost only about 20k.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

11 hours ago, jezmilar said:

Thank you everyone.

I will check with St. Louis and Bangkok Christian hospitals. 

Another possibility would be Camellian Hospital, also a nonprofit. Smaller than Bkk Chrstian and St Louis but for a common procedure like this not an issue. And as they see far fewer expats, they may be cheaper.

When inquiring specify you want it done as a day surgery. Note though that with that you will have to plan on multple outpatient visits afterwards for wound care.

• Like 1