How Much Do You Download Each Month

astral

How many gigbytes a month do you download  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

between 10 and 20 gig on a 256kbps link. Often less then 10 GB...

Small business package...lowest recorded speed around 150 kbps at peak times (or of course 0kbps the very few times it goes down completely!)

Average speed hovering between 75 and 85%, stable, no packet loss and ping times under 300 msec to the US...

Statistics from DU meter I have running in the back ground...

>100 gB/m on Maxnet @ Life 1024/512 - supposedly to be upgrade @ no extra cost to 2048/512 from September :o

Currently downloading torrents at 85 kB/s

Maxnet has been great here for the last couple of months, hope it'll stay that way!

Edited by Phil Conners

Around 30GB (depends on whether I'm home or not, some months I'm home only a few days total) at 2Mbits. Of course I only download what I actually use, I don't download just for the sake of downloading and using up my bandwidth.

One statement that I often hear from people who try to use up all their bandwidth is "If I didn't use it all up, why would I buy so and so speed?". The reason you buy so and so speed (like me, who bought 2Mbits) is for the *burst* speeds, not for continuous 24/7 usage at full speed. I want good speeds when I need it, and I don't need it all the time. If I did, I would buy a corporate account and get what I deserve. If everyone who bought a consumer broadband package did their utmost best to use the bandwidth up, the pricing scheme of broadband would not work, and we'd have to go back to paying 12,000/month for 128k ADSL (yes, Thailand was like that a scant few years ago).

I have found this thread and the thread on monthly quotas to be very interesting. I consider myself to be a pretty average home user. I don't download all that much, I do like to watch streaming video sometimes (I really do miss youtube), and I definately enjoy listening to streaming audio (internet radio) a lot while browsing and reading/sending email. I have absolutely no idea how much I am downloading each month, nor have I ever even given it a thought, up until now that is. IMHO I think your data is going to be rather skewed on the high side because I think only the heavier users are going to be able to give you a good number. I think most people like me will probably not respond to your poll, although I just did.

I have 1024/512 service and am not sure how to answer the question... I don't keep total usage stats. Do you count web browsing as download, and if so, how are you keeping track?

My single largest download use is probably syncrhonizing a local mirror of Linux software with a remote mirror every night (so I can update software on multiple hosts while only downloading once over ADSL). For March, I happened to have logged statistics from those downloads and it came to about 3 GB total.

My total email fetching via IMAP only seems to be about 40 MB for that month.

I don't use P2P software. I tried it for downloading some Linux images once and found it was faster to use straight HTTP!

Dumeter is a very useful little programe.

It shows you second by second how your adsl link is behaving

and also keeps daily/weekly/monthly totals.

If your ISP has set a monthly limit, Dumeter will warn you when you are getting close to the limit.