Endless mucus after covid?

ChomDo

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone here has experienced the same as I after having covid. I got infected in Europe 5-6 weeks ago and had fever and quite a cough for a few days. After that it seemed like it's all gone but then started the slimy cough that lasted for weeks. Now after over 5 weeks I don't have any actual cough but the mucus/slime still comes up especially in the morning and after meals. Somehow it seems to be mostly related to eating as I have to spit out mucus for quite a while after each meal - breakfast being the worst. Anything oily triggers a much worse slime reaction.

I took NAC and Mucoflux for nearly 2 weeks and can't say that it helped at all. The mucus has been clear all the time so non of that nasty green stuff I had after influenza (indicating bacteria).

Has anyone experienced this and any tips what I could do? Just keep waiting it out or is there reason to suspect that c19 caused some gastric issues?

Perhaps @Sheryl would know? 

Thanks!

• Thumbs Up 1

I was given NAC during pneumonia, but not during omicron (that might be because at thai private hospital they wanted to give me many other medicines for 300b per pill, instead of 12b for NAC).

Personally I would increase NAC above daily recommended 600mg and even do try some nebulisation.

I had post covid complications, some basic antibiotic did not work, so I went for check. But dr only ordered xray, no morphology, and based on symptoms gave me some 4 antibiotics (he made up sinusitis diagnosis).

It cleared off within around a week after.

I took vitamins and micro-elements supplements. Calcium+D3, zink, selenium, also melatonin.

13 minutes ago, internationalism said:

I was given NAC during pneumonia, but not during omicron (that might be because at thai private hospital they wanted to give me many other medicines for 300b per pill, instead of 12b for NAC).

Personally I would increase NAC above daily recommended 600mg and even do try some nebulisation.

I had post covid complications, some basic antibiotic did not work, so I went for check. But dr only ordered xray, no morphology, and based on symptoms gave me some 4 antibiotics (he made up sinusitis diagnosis).

It cleared off within around a week after.

I took vitamins and micro-elements supplements. Calcium+D3, zink, selenium, also melatonin.

Thanks for sharing. You had quite some symptoms from c19 then. What's surprising about this is that the Omicron symptoms for me were very basic: fever and cough for 3 days - nothing else. I had none of the tiredness, headache or body aches.

Now I've been totally back to normal condition for at least 2 weeks already and exercising, which actually feels like helping out too (I never feel slimy while swimming or doing exercise). The only real problem is eating. After every meal I have to spit out a mouthful of slime, more so in the morning.

As the mucus is totally clear and transparent I would not suspect any bacteria or the need for antibiotics. I guess if this goes on, I might visit the doctor just to check but been reading that many people have had slimy cough for moths after. I'm more trying to focus on the after meals effect cos I have not heard of that specifically. 

in my case covid and post covid were very mild. But because just a month before omicron I had pneumonia, and because I was planning an international travel, I self-medicated with small dose of sultrim. Because I knew it doesn't work I did not dare to take more antibiotics from doctor. It cleared by itself within a week. 

Sometimes it can be also fungal infection.

For congestion saline nebulisation (or steaming) can help. I got that at hospital for pneumonia, I think it was 3x daily. For covid they refused nebulisation (nurse said it will spread virus further, but I think she just made it up). I went to hospital for covid, because I had 200k lump sum insurance 

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 1

Mucus with no cough or fever or troublebreathing doesn to suggest a lung issue.

I would just give it time.And take note of any foods that seem to trigger it.

Also - was there a gap between COVID and this ysmptom, and did you change location at that point? As unrelated allergy also a possibility.

Posts linking to an unreliable source advocating a disproven  treatment for a condition OP does  not currently have has been removed.

Please note OP dos not now have COVID. He had COVID a month and a half ago. Which may or may not have anything to do  with his current issue. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Mucus with no cough or fever or troublebreathing doesn to suggest a lung issue.

I would just give it time.And take note of any foods that seem to trigger it.

Also - was there a gap between COVID and this ysmptom, and did you change location at that point? As unrelated allergy also a possibility.

Thanks for the advice Sheryl. Yes this issues is very minor to me as it now only effects me after meals. So just to be precise, I caught covid on my trip to Europe and the only two symptoms I had was dry itchy cough and a fever (max 38.5C) for 3 days. After that I felt pretty good but some mild cough left. Then a few days after recovering I started to have a lot of mucus coming out (up to this point the mucus is clear in colour). I would say that stage stage lasted about 2 weeks. During this time it was not just after meals but coughing out mucus throughout the day. 

I tested negative on day 10 and soon after that flew from Europe back to BKK. Didn't notice any change there. The same symptoms continued. At this point I started to take the combo of NAC+Mucoflux. After a while the actual slimy cough dissapeared and slowly the mucus issue was more and more related to eating. For the past week now, I only notice it after meals. The most significant mucus release is after breakfast and that's when I really need to cough it out a few times. When I eat during the day, I always have some mucus after but very much depending on the food. Anything fatty or oily is a problem. 

As I mentioned, it's not really effecting my daily routines but just wondering if others have had this specifically related to food. I know many have reported coughing mucus for up to 2 months after covid but not only after meals I guess. Just trying to figure out if this is still related to the virus or I developed a gastric issue afterwards. I do have some tendency to get slimy after fast food but not to the point that I need to cough it out like this.

Well I hope it goes away by itself sooner or later so I will just give it time. It's been 5-6 weeks since I tested positive so. Just most curious about why it's now related to food only?

Swallowing food may trigger cough reflux. It is normal to have more mucous in the morning as it collects during the night-- especially if here is any post-nasal drip. 

If what is coming up is mucus from the respiratory tract (as opposed to saliva or gastric contents ftom stomach) it is not a GI issue.

Pretty much everything you can imagine has been reported by people post COVID though of course only some of it is actually related to the COVID, the rest being coincidental timing. 

Since it seems to be gradually improving and it has been only a month and a half I would just give it time. 

• Like 1

When you say 'itchy cough', you might possibly mean a dry unproductive cough. Omicron seems to particularly attack the throat and larynx, which can result in the symptoms you describe long after the infection has gone. I generally suffer it, even from regular coughs as I initially have very heavy nasal symptoms causing a post nasal drip. It's not nice, but will get better. It's not really anything to do with long Covid (I'm guessing).

got some bad allergies after the rain kicked up some pollen...

productive muscus for like five weeks.  took some medicine, could still exercise, it went away.

also did a COVID test during that time for another reason, negative.   

might have been even 6 weeks......but the internet said not to worry and I didn't.   

Thanks for the additional replies. Now after 6 weeks it's not totally gone but kind of slowly reducing. Now I get maybe one cough of mucus after breakfast and after that only if I eat something oily or spicy. Whatever it is, covid triggered it but I can't believe this has anything to do with the actual virus anymore. 

About 6 weeks ago I had a slight sore throat and became terribly fatigued.  I slept the better part of 3 solid days.  Had a consistent cough and just like you lots of clear mucous.  I could hear my voice altered from the congestion but only in my head not chest congestion.  Now 6 weeks later I am finally able to stop coughing.  What is strange is that after the 4th day, I purchased a home covid test and it came up negative.  I sure had a number of the symptoms associated with Covid. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/24/2022 at 11:25 AM, Longwood50 said:

About 6 weeks ago I had a slight sore throat and became terribly fatigued.  I slept the better part of 3 solid days.  Had a consistent cough and just like you lots of clear mucous.  I could hear my voice altered from the congestion but only in my head not chest congestion.  Now 6 weeks later I am finally able to stop coughing.  What is strange is that after the 4th day, I purchased a home covid test and it came up negative.  I sure had a number of the symptoms associated with Covid. 

That's interesting and might have been covid too because it often takes a few tests to show positive. For me it was the second test and for my mom the 3rd. 

Now it's been exactly 2 months and I'm noticing that I don't really have that slimy throat after any type of food. Still a week ago I would have to release some mucus after oily foods. 

I guess c19 gave me some gastric reaction (I do have that tendency anyway) that took long to get rid of.

But still I'm glad I didn't have any other after effects like tiredness or loss of strength.