Murder at Ratchaburi temple - stepfather kills boys' dad after reconciliation attempt fails

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture Thai Rath

Thai Rath reported on a love triangle in Ratchaburi, south central Thailand, after a father's reconciliation attempt went badly wrong.

People had gathered at the temple of Wat Chong Lom in Muang district for a kathin ceremony.

Amnat, 51, a local man, was found barely alive by police and rescue services outside the chapel. Despite CPR he soon died at the scene. He had stab wounds to his chest, abdomen and head. Also injured was his ex-wife Sumontha, 42. She was taken to hospital.

A foot long knife was recovered. 

The stabbing occurred yesterday evening in front of Sumontha's two sons aged 24 and 14.

image.jpeg

Picture Thai Rath

One said that their father, the victim, had arrived and tried to reconcile with their mother. 

But her new man, Thanong, 55, and their father started arguing before Thanong produced a knife he had brought with him. 

Thanong then fled the scene.

Natthaphon, 35, said that he and others were in the process of setting up a tent for the ceremony when he was aware that both men had started arguing. They both were officials at the temple.

The wife had tried to intervene and been injured in the melee.

Later yesterday at 10.30 Thanong surrendered to the Muang district police saying that he was attacked first.

Investigations continue. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-10-20

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

That is why people who carry weapons on them are IMHO at more danger. When tempers flare weapons get used. Best not to go packing as weapons can also be turned on yourself.

Weapons make people do things they normally would not like standing up and fighting when running is smarter. Sure in some rare cases weapons are useful. When your with your back to a wall and have no other choice. But in general your legs are your best weapon (running away)

Edited by robblok
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, webfact said:

The stabbing occurred yesterday evening in front of Sumontha's two sons aged 24 and 14.

I hope these kids get therapy.  This is, of course, trauma, and if gone unchecked can wreck havoc on everyone they meet in the future.

I can see a Nexflix series 20 years from now................witnessed a parent killed via stabbing at a temple.   Everyone will think, "yea, that's gonna mess you up."

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, robblok said:

That is why people who carry weapons on them are IMHO at more danger. When tempers flare weapons get used. Best not to go packing as weapons can also be turned on yourself.

Did you misread it as the guy who brought the knife was the one killed?  The one who brought the knife was the killer, and was unhurt.

I'm a little confused by your comment, as it would appear to be counter to what actually happened yet started with "That is why...".

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

But he was the one that brought the knife...

regards Worgeordie

His feelings were battered by the thought of the woman going back to her husband.  Surely murder is the obvious and justified method of self-defence in such a situation? ????‍♂️

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Did you misread it as the guy who brought the knife was the one killed?  The one who brought the knife was the killer, and was unhurt.

I'm a little confused by your comment, as it would appear to be counter to what actually happened yet started with "That is why...".

Your right i misread, still i stand with my opinion that carrying weapons is a stupid thing. Now this guy will go to jail for murder. Weapons escalate things, not deescalate.

But your 100% right i misread.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, robblok said:

Weapons make people do things they normally would not like standing up and fighting when running is smarter. Sure in some rare cases weapons are useful. When your with your back to a wall and have no other choice. But in general your legs are your best weapon (running away)

Not with my knees.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

One said that their father, the victim, had arrived and tried to reconcile with their mother. 

But her new man, Thanong, 55, and their father started arguing before Thanong produced a knife he had brought with him. 

Thanong then fled the scene.

Never ends well...