Find a recommended professional like plumber, electric tech guy, etc

Hi all

First off sorry if not the right forum or has been asked before (I really looked for it before posting this)

I was wondering how can I find a recommended professional in my area when I need some house work ie plumbing work or fixing the electricity

In my home country we have websites and apps where people write reviews and you can contact if you find someone suitable

Is there anything like this in Thailand?

Cheers

• Thumbs Up 1

This is one option.

I never used it, but I know someone who did.

https://www.homepro.co.th/homeservice/

One thing you should be aware of is that companies and contractors often hire other people who do the work. And those hired people might change all the time.

So if i.e. your neighbor had great experience with a plumber from a shop that doesn't mean the same guy will visit you.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Places like HomePro provide installation and repair services, as long as you buy the materials/appliance from them. They will install/replace water pumps etc, air con and other things, they also undertake project work. Not the cheapest but it does come guaranteed. I've used them to insulate my roof void, install pumps and also air con.

• Like 2

Ask people you know.  Or you can google it. But I’m sure you know this already. Unfortunately you need to be careful who you hire.  Just like everywhere but here especially.  I haven’t seen any specific websites for recommendations. 
I rent my condo.  And some contractors will be sent to do repairs.  And the job isn’t done properly. 
As an example.  The air conditioner in the bedroom was a little less than two years old.  It started not maintaining temperature properly.  It is manufactured by a major company.  The company sent technicians and after the first three visits an engineer. No exaggeration.  They had to return 13 times before the issue was resolved.  Replacing different parts in the aiir conditioner and compressor each time.  Luckily  they only charged for the first two visits and a couple of parts.  The rest of the visits and parts were free because the owner complained to their corporate headquarters. 

Very difficult to find a good, reliable " Expert Tradesman " in Thailand.

Even sometimes a recommendation is for a Guy that will pay a kickback to the person that recommended him.

And once you make your choice, and they have your upfront Money for the work, its potentially open season.

• Like 1

went to the  local Home Pro in Hua Hin ...  had them install a water tank & pump for my sister in law  ,,very clean and efficient.. professional job.       jacked cement hooked up to the  main line..  ran pipe and cleaned up spotless when done .. excellent !     Went back and ordered an air conditioner for our home.. same crew showed up.  same experience.  totally professional fantastic install. Drilling, filling, piping, and clean up.                                               I had this crew check and correct  a few issues we had with 2 other AC units we had installed by a local .. called himself a pro...                                   Double thumbs up to this crew..  worth the $$..  and was not expensive from the get go

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

Places like HomePro provide installation and repair services, as long as you buy the materials/appliance from them. They will install/replace water pumps etc, air con and other things, they also undertake project work. Not the cheapest but it does come guaranteed. I've used them to insulate my roof void, install pumps and also air con.

HomePro will only provide installation and repair services if you, or the engineer they provide live not too far from their store. I asked them to provide installation of something a few years back and they said no because I live too far away, 50Ks.

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

HomePro will only provide installation and repair services if you, or the engineer they provide live not too far from their store. I asked them to provide installation of something a few years back and they said no because I live too far away, 50Ks.

Yes, well, I guess everyone has territories I suppose, not surprising really.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, IBIB said:

In my home country we have websites and apps where people write reviews and you can contact if you find someone suitable

Is there anything like this in Thailand?

There are Thai groups in Line or on Facebook. Only good reviews and recommendations can be seen, if you complain about others in public, you'll risk facing defamation charges.

Don't forget that you are qualified plumber if you can saw blue pipes apart and glue two pieces together, electric work is more like to twist to pieces of electric wire together and wrap tape around it...:whistling:

I have successfully found good craftsmen by asking in building material shops if they know or could recommend someone to do a specific job – best if you have a Thai friend or partner to ask on your behalf – it has worked well for me. The building material shop will benefit from selling the materials used, so they are often interested in helping...:thumbsup:

Furthermore, some products you can buy including installation – which might be a surcharge – for example HomePro is good at offering that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Harveyboy said:

sorry but professional and Thailand shouldn't be mixed ..hope you have better luck than I had with these clowns 

What a crass comment.  Where is the sad button when you need it?

If you display that attitude to Thai (or any nation's) Professionals who come to work for you then I am not surprised that you are not having good luck with them!

You deserve the bad service it seems you experience because of your unprofessional attitude to professionals!

Thanks for the help I was actually hoping that there's an app or website with reviews and recommended skilled workers based on location.

People mentioned Home Pro take projects also so I might check it out soon. I used them many times to install things that were bought from their stores and had good experience with them. I didnt know they do projects as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Harveyboy said:

sorry but professional and Thailand shouldn't be mixed ..hope you have better luck than I had with these clowns 

There are many excellent, professional and responsible tradesmen in Bangkok, who take pride in their work and and charge reasonable rates. I have used the same people for different work for more than 10 years - 2 for AC, 1 for plumbing and 1 for electrical works. 1 was a friend of my wife's and 3 'suggested' by the management of where we live. Occasionally of someone is for example installing a washing machine and we need some urgent work we may ask if the person doing the installation can do some work when convenient and response is positive.

In my experience good skilled tradesmen are in demand and not so interested in doing small jobs unless you know the person. Home Pro option may be good for people who don't have easy access to tradesmen. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, rimmae2 said:

There are many excellent, professional and responsible tradesmen in Bangkok, who take pride in their work and and charge reasonable rates. I have used the same people for different work for more than 10 years - 2 for AC, 1 for plumbing and 1 for electrical works. 1 was a friend of my wife's and 3 'suggested' by the management of where we live. Occasionally of someone is for example installing a washing machine and we need some urgent work we may ask if the person doing the installation can do some work when convenient and response is positive.

In my experience good skilled tradesmen are in demand and not so interested in doing small jobs unless you know the person. Home Pro option may be good for people who don't have easy access to tradesmen. 

well I have lived here a long time and never met anything other than incompetence from tradesmen here, could you provide some contacts maybe.? Construction work we had done 8 years ago mostly needs ripping out and done properly, water pipes leaking in lounge area, 10 years of 'tradesmen' have not been able to solve, electrician who did not know what earthing meant and a tiler who wanted paying for laying more tiles than we had actually given him, other tilers using the wrong tools and adhesive and an 'expert' who installed tiles in the kitchen running downhill.. The other problem is ludicrous quotes as soon as a white face appears. Bought new toilet last month from HomePro, their installer turned up, got angry over it not being a simple job and stormed off complaining. For once did get a reasonable job done from a Cambodian worker, who also did a bit of tiling and had the proper kit.

Edited by proton

18 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

Another wholly unnecessary comment that bashes all Thai's, if you feel that way, why are you here! 

steady on old pal your heading for a cardiac ..I'm not Thai bashing I'm staying a fact ..get down off your barstool and read what I said..I've had bad experiences here with tradesmen..I was in the building trade in Europe what I see here scares the s##t out of me and why I'm here has got sweet FA to do with you .  have a good day sir hic hic

17 hours ago, DezLez said:

If you display that attitude to Thai (or any nation's) Professionals who come to work for you then I am not surprised that you are not having good luck with them!

You deserve the bad service it seems you experience because of your unprofessional attitude to professionals!

hey mate you profiting from the legalization of weed or what need to calm down sir..I stated a point but like so many on here you can't read any further than the label on your chang bottle ..have a good day sir Sabai 

• Haha 1

not a crass comment ..truth 

have you ever visited planet earth sir ...have a good day 

• Haha 1

Professional only ones in Pattaya ..soi 7 even the girls would be more experienced in building ..I was 30 years in the building trade I was used to quality seems your not ..have a good day sir

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, proton said:

well I have lived here a long time and never met anything other than incompetence from tradesmen here, could you provide some contacts maybe.? Construction work we had done 8 years ago mostly needs ripping out and done properly, water pipes leaking in lounge area, 10 years of 'tradesmen' have not been able to solve, electrician who did not know what earthing meant and a tiler who wanted paying for laying more tiles than we had actually given him, other tilers using the wrong tools and adhesive and an 'expert' who installed tiles in the kitchen running downhill.. The other problem is ludicrous quotes as soon as a white face appears. Bought new toilet last month from HomePro, their installer turned up, got angry over it not being a simple job and stormed off complaining. For once did get a reasonable job done from a Cambodian worker, who also did a bit of tiling and had the proper kit.

nice to hear a comment from someone on here who has a brain 

have you read some of the comments from the keyboard warriors on here who think Thai professional builders actually live up to that...seems a lot of OPs on here are only happy if you write what they want to read and most have never had experience with Thai builders eh..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nigelforbes said:

Five consecutive posts by the same poster, all on the same subject, three to the same poster. Isn't forgetfulness a key sign of dementia or what?

what is dementia Someone told me but I Forgot ha !! ..chill out a little old pal..

• 1 month later...