'Untold human suffering' is in the near future as U.N. warns climate change is pushing Earth closer to extreme warming

onthedarkside

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

My point is that IMO all the "small ways" don't add up to doodoo when China, India and Brazil are polluting in massive ways.

If it makes them happy to be doing something, that's fine, but IMO they shouldn't be fooling themselves that by driving an electric car they are "solving" the climate "crisis".

Want to do something that really does make a difference- have less children and stop overpopulating the world.

If everyone contributed a little a lot can get done even without China and India

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I don't know any climate warriors in Thailand so you'll have to ask them. I do know plenty of people who agree that the world in its current manmade form is on a path to destruction and rather than sit back and do nothing they help in their own small way.

I’m definitely in the camp of climate change might be real (although I’m not 100 percent sure) but I just don’t care. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I did more than most simply by not reproducing. No extra people to consume, use electricity, travel on roads that used oil products to make and motivate the transport, etc.

Far as I'm concerned I've more than done "my bit".

Only use car because no public transport where I live. Local electricity hydro generated.

Good for you. Sit back and relax nobody is forcing you to do anything else. I'll carry on doing what I am doing

14 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Want to do something that really does make a difference- have less children and stop overpopulating the world.

Agree, and probably the #1  cause of just about every issue.  Was going to say 'threat to planet', but the planet has no worries.  Man's existence on it, is threatened, and if not controlling the numbers of, will run out of the resources that support all.

Don't think it will truly set in, until they start rationing out drinking water.  Then just maybe, people will do something.  Not in my lifetime, hopefully, but will definitely happen this century.

They already ration out water for non essential use in many of the populated areas.

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

They already ration out water for non essential use in many of the populated areas.

More to do with maximising water company profits than any lack of water IMHO.

Also to do with building company profits, as they build in unsuitable areas where land is cheap.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I don't know any climate warriors in Thailand so you'll have to ask them. I do know plenty of people who agree that the world in its current manmade form is on a path to destruction and rather than sit back and do nothing they help in their own small way.

Of course the world is on a path to destruction. Eventually the sun will die and all life on planet will cease.

Extinction of species is inevitable, and part of the life cycle on planet Earth. Humans are certainly eliminating many species. I don't expect humans to continue till the planet dies- IMO sure to eliminate ourselves long before.

I don't know if humanity will cease to exist because of climate change, but I'm pretty sure we  are going to pollute ourselves to extinction if we don't start taking care of the environment. Perhaps we will just have WW3 and die of radiation- so many ways we can kill off humanity. Climate change is just one possibility.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Agree, and probably the #1  cause of just about every issue.  Was going to say 'threat to planet', but the planet has no worries.  Man's existence on it, is threatened, and if not controlling the numbers of, will run out of the resources that support all.

Don't think it will truly set in, until they start rationing out drinking water.  Then just maybe, people will do something.  Not in my lifetime, hopefully, but will definitely happen this century.

Drinking water is the least of our worries, at least for rich countries. Solar powered desalination plants can provide all the potable water needs. Saudis been using desalination for decades, but using oil.

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

More to do with maximising water company profits than any lack of water IMHO.

Agree.  In Udon Thani, we had 2 rai, and wife use to try to keep it watered.  NaDi the district lived in, only ran the 2 well pump, 1 all day, a trickle, then another when in the evening, when folks needed.

The supply to the house simply wasn't enough.  Even if on all night/24 hrs, the tank (2k L) would sometimes fill, but rare.  We asked about leaving both pumps on longer ... NO  ... you use too much.

BUT ... if you want to buy, we'll send a truck over to fill your tanks ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Your contribution is worth nothing.

Moving your oil energy use from direct in your car to the coal/oil fired power station is worth nothing.

You are missing the efficiency gains.

Efficiency of electrical generation and electric cars v efficiency of internal combustion engine.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Of course the world is on a path to destruction. Eventually the sun will die and all life on planet will cease.

Extinction of species is inevitable, and part of the life cycle on planet Earth. Humans are certainly eliminating many species. I don't expect humans to continue till the planet dies- IMO sure to eliminate ourselves long before.

I don't know if humanity will cease to exist because of climate change, but I'm pretty sure we  are going to pollute ourselves to extinction if we don't start taking care of the environment. Perhaps we will just have WW3 and die of radiation- so many ways we can kill off humanity. Climate change is just one possibility.

"Extinction of species is enivitable"

Well theres your get out clause then. Others have hope and do things about it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Long past the point of no return IMO. Forcing us to drive electric cars ain't going to fix it either.

Nobody is being forced to do anything that could make a difference really.

As a species we have become reliant on a way of living that is destroying the climate and our unwillingness or inability to change is why targets are not being met. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Drinking water is the least of our worries, at least for rich countries. Solar powered desalination plants can provide all the potable water needs. Saudis been using desalination for decades, but using oil.

Agree, but easy to do & doing, is 2 different things.

Desalination is quite easy to do, and anyone can DIY at home.   I was surprised how easy the process is ... BUT ... in TH, with ambient temp, a poor yield, unless of course, you have solar, and could run the copper piping through/in a frig for maximum condensation & yield ????

Same as  putting solar on every rooftop, easy to do ... and yet ... ????

Big Oil/fossil fuel folks would never allow it to happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You have reputedly made a connection between those who support tackling climate change and ‘Globalists’.

Can you please explain the basis of the connection you make?

I think he means either all the foolish people who believe that all human beings live on one planet or all the foolish people who believe that the Earth is very nearly a perfect sphere.

5 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You are missing the efficiency gains.

Efficiency of electrical generation and electric cars v efficiency of internal combustion engine.

My pickup is only used once a month when doing a bulk shop at Makro.

I ether use a scooter or walk in my day to day life (2-3 litres a month).

Didn't use air-con at all last month.

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

My pickup is only used once a month when doing a bulk shop at Makro.

I ether use a scooter or walk in my day to day life (2-3 litres a month).

Didn't use air-con at all last month.

Like you, I use my ‘eco car’ for my main shops only.

The rest of the time I use a bicycle (non electric).

1 hour ago, Eleftheros said:

Global sea levels are rising as a result of human-caused global warming, with recent rates being unprecedented over the past 2,500-plus years. Sea level rise is caused primarily by two factors related to global warming: the added water from melting ice sheets and glaciers, and the expansion of seawater as it warms.

https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/sea-level

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Global sea levels are rising as a result of human-caused global warming, with recent rates being unprecedented over the past 2,500-plus years. Sea level rise is caused primarily by two factors related to global warming: the added water from melting ice sheets and glaciers, and the expansion of seawater as it warms.

https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/sea-level

The sea hasn't risen where I use to live (Shoreham beach) in the past 62 years.

All those Pacific islands haven't sunk either, in fact they're getting bigger, and the population is increasing.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/pacific-island-sinking-and-growing-same-time-180976481/

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

So many expiry options! As Satchmo would sing - what a wonderful world. 

Our planet will be consumed by the sun long before he death of the latter. But mankind still has quite a bit of time to relocate - relatively speaking - of course.