New Mower Required - Petrol/Gasoline not battery.

Our ancient Agsatec mower didn't make it through the flooding, to be honest it was on its last legs anyway.

So, time for a new one.

The Daewoo products seem to be very reasonably priced https://daewoopowerproducts.com/producto/gasoline-lawnmower-dlm5300sp/ about 11k on Lazada.

Any experience? Junk or gem?

Hey Crossy,

I am getting close to having to replace my long standing mower.  I was thinking of doing it soon and keep the old mower for those ugly chores and keeping the new one for the main lawns.  The mower you linked has some nice features. I am a big proponent of the large rear wheel for quick turning and tighter turning radius.  The motor power seems OK but not sure what brand.  Many come with Honda Motors but this appears to be Korean and they do make very good stuff.  

Overall It looks good.  I didn't download the manual so I'd check on blade and deck height adjustment options.  

• Like 1

My next lawnmower is coming from these guys:

https://www.vbengine.com/index.php?lay=show&ac=article&Id=2147546091

They are the sole importers of Briggs and Straton engines in Thailand and sell rapter (not raptor) mowers with either Honda of B&S, their pricing is very reasonable 15k-19k. I don't know if their Honda engines are genuine or not, I'm inclined to think they are.

Edited by nigelforbes
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nigelforbes said:

My next lawnmower is coming from these guys:

https://www.vbengine.com/index.php?lay=show&ac=article&Id=2147546091

They are the sole importers of Briggs and Straton engines in Thailand and sell rapter (not raptor) mowers with either Honda of B&S, their pricing is very reasonable 15k-19k. I don't know if their Honda engines are genuine or not, I'm inclined to think they are.

Are these for professional use? Seems rather expensive for the weekend gardener. Asking because my wife is thinking of starting a lawn moving/ tree cutting service so I will need to work out the financials.

Just now, Gweiloman said:

Are these for professional use? Seems rather expensive for the weekend gardener. Asking because my wife is thinking of starting a lawn moving/ tree cutting service so I will need to work out the financials.

No they are not but they do appear to be constructed to Western standards. I've had my current Rapter equivalent for 9 years, the engine is still good because I've taken care of it but the rest of the machine is simply worn out. I paid about 18k for my current model 9 years ago. I've seen the new Rapter model at a shop nearby and the frame is a much more solid and thick aluminum frame and the price is about the same as what I paid 9 years ago. All things being equal I would expect to get over 10 years usage out of my next Rapter, under 2k per year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nigelforbes said:

No they are not but they do appear to be constructed to Western standards. I've had my current Rapter equivalent for 9 years, the engine is still good because I've taken care of it but the rest of the machine is simply worn out. I paid about 18k for my current model 9 years ago. I've seen the new Rapter model at a shop nearby and the frame is a much more solid and thick aluminum frame and the price is about the same as what I paid 9 years ago. All things being equal I would expect to get over 10 years usage out of my next Rapter, under 2k per year.

Thanks, much appreciated.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Black Ops said:

Sorry late to to this !

Same situation and bought the Daewoo 

Very pleased ! Excellent machine, quiet in comparison to our old one, very easy pull start. Madam can do it easily too.

Economy is outstanding, I can do 2 rai and not have to stop to fill up.

21 inch blade 196cc makes it very easy, comfortable and quick.

Price?

23 minutes ago, Black Ops said:

Sorry late to to this !

Same situation and bought the Daewoo 

Very pleased ! Excellent machine, quiet in comparison to our old one, very easy pull start. Madam can do it easily too.

Economy is outstanding, I can do 2 rai and not have to stop to fill up.

21 inch blade 196cc makes it very easy, comfortable and quick.

Build quality?

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

Build quality?

It all seems very good. Typical plastic parts in places, but at that price, overall I am pleased with it.

2 features I particularly like the, side shoot, and the hose pipe connection for cleaning.

First use it waded into 15 inch tall grass and weeds and spat them out with ease ! Maintaining the the area after the initial cut is an absolute breeze. 

Wind this forward to 4;42 if you want to jump straight to the bigger 21" machine.

• Like 1

I find Honda self propelled to be the best lawn mowers available. But they have three faults. First you cannot have a mulching accessory. My garden is too big to collect the cuttings. Second they don't like wet grass. Third the handle bar is metal and my garden is big so I sweat a lot and the handle bar corrodes very quickly in time. Another small point is that they are very expensive. 

I think the most important part of a mower is the engine, if a mower doesn't have either a Honda or a Briggs and Straton engine I tend to not ne interested. I'm not sure that's the correct thinking or not but I don't know of any other reliable engine manufacturers, does anyone else? Also, it looks as though many of the petrol driven mower brands use the same deck which is made from pressed steel, I'm told there are places to buy replacement decks for around 2k baht but I've never actually seen them. (there is a design flaw in that deck and it needs to be braced in the rear if it's to last for more than a couple of years). I also see the same wheel assemblies in use on different models so maybe there's a common supplier also, dunno. 

• 2 weeks later...

Im tired of fixing gas powered mowers at the local shop and the electric mowers are much smaller and time comsuming in my 2 rai garden but I did see the Ego 56v LM2022 20" blade, self propelled all singing and dancing battery mower on Lazada for just over 9000 baht which has some very favourable reviews..... only thing holding me back is whether I can buy replacement batteries for it, they use a very snazzy battery pack.  Any thoughts ?

JAF

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JustAnotherFarang said:

Im tired of fixing gas powered mowers at the local shop and the electric mowers are much smaller and time comsuming in my 2 rai garden but I did see the Ego 56v LM2022 20" blade, self propelled all singing and dancing battery mower on Lazada for just over 9000 baht which has some very favourable reviews..... only thing holding me back is whether I can buy replacement batteries for it, they use a very snazzy battery pack.  Any thoughts ?

It looks like the pack uses standard 18650 Li-ion cells so getting it re-celled shouldn't be an issue.

Best to ask the seller if extra/replacement packs are available, and get at least one (then it can be charging whilst you continue mowing).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

... different if you’re on a couple of Rai.

We are (actually just over 1.5 Rai) ???? 

The weak point of all the cordless beasties is going to be the battery.

Unlike your EV, these things will use the cheapest cells they can obtain and push them hard, leading to short battery life and fun finding a replacement pack. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

We are (actually just over 1.5 Rai) ???? 

The weak point of all the cordless beasties is going to be the battery.

Unlike your EV, these things will use the cheapest cells they can obtain and push them hard, leading to short battery life and fun finding a replacement pack. 

To counter that though, the major power tool brands usually have a garden care range… AEG, Ryobi, Makita etc same 18/54V batteries as their power tools and they are fairly robust batteries and certainly be easy to replace.

I use AEG at work here in Oz and I’ve purchased a 18V whipper sniper, pole chainsaw and hedge trimmer kit, all the same batteries.

If you buy cheap no name stuff I agree it’ll be painful to get new batteries etc.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jai Dee said:

Either the presenter is a very short Thai man or the handlebars on those machines is very high... :cool:

Yeah, I noticed that he seems to have the handle at "farang height".

Height is adjustable ???? 

• Thumbs Up 1

Before buying a new mower check to see if you can get the spares, Briggs and Stratton seem the best, with side discharge if wanted. I brought a Bisson, I have to make the blade myself, oval center and side holes, single 21'' blade, and converted it with a Honda carb. 

Edited by brianthainess
  • Like 2

On 11/1/2022 at 8:33 PM, Black Ops said:

It all seems very good. Typical plastic parts in places, but at that price, overall I am pleased with it.

2 features I particularly like the, side shoot, and the hose pipe connection for cleaning.

First use it waded into 15 inch tall grass and weeds and spat them out with ease ! Maintaining the the area after the initial cut is an absolute breeze. 

Wind this forward to 4;42 if you want to jump straight to the bigger 21" machine.

i bought this and at first I thought it was a great machine but within a year it developed a serious problem with the selp propelling ,echanism which stopped working.  Sent it back, at my own expense and they sent it to be repaired.  Got it back, all working well but within a week it failed again.......and then I saw that they had fixed it by inserting 2 screws from the underneath into the bodywork.....very shoddy work...... it has become an expensive white elephant, difficult to push around my 2 rai garden and I wouldnt purchase Daewoo again

• Like 1