throttling your internet when connected to IPTV

Froggybanrai

9 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes, if you buy into the conspiracy theory that ISPs are throttling some streaming services and not others. In the OPs case it would most likely be a bogus IPTV provider with not enough bandwidth.

I cant see what vested interest an ISP would have throttling a download, its not like it uses less data, it just takes longer, and causes more traffic/congestion on their servers/bandwidth. Its not like people are going to not do the download.

I understand that it isn't uncommon for an ISP to throttle access to downloads or streaming from overseas websites in order to manage international network traffic. I've experienced True doing so when I re-installed MacOS a while back. I called True and after the call center employee spoke with a tech person, the throttling stopped. The call center employee acknowledged that my download had been throttled. But perhaps this was because it was a download and not a stream. Maybe True does not throttle streaming. I don't know.

I think a VPN makes it more difficult for the ISP to determine the nature of the data passing through and possibly avoids the throttling if it is based upon the type of data. 

I also agree that the issue may be the lack of bandwidth on the part of the IPTV provider, but I am not aware of a solution if that is the problem.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I cant see what vested interest an ISP would have throttling a download, its not like it uses less data, it just takes longer, and causes more

For an ISP like True, AIS, Sophon, that broadcast their own TV services down the same fibre cable, I can see a reason for them to throttle down IPTV on the internet frequencies. In my case, True, I just sense there is not enough bandwidth (at peak times) either with True (my provider) or my IPTV source, which does not have a domestic server. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Froggybanrai said:

The interest of the ISP in degrading the bandwidth when using IPTV is to discourage you from using it which drives you towards buying the ISP's premium package...True Visions has several of those packages in store.

Pretty much I would say . My internet an iptv work fine all week and then at weekend when there is a decent football match it streams that bad I give up watching. Yet same channel I will have no problem watching something like moto gp in the morning. 
Happened fortnight ago when I went to watch a match and yet this weekend didn’t have a problem watching football.
3BB is always suggested to not have any issues at all . 

Nice all those Thaibashing posts. Has anyone ever thought that the IPTV site / server might be the problem. If they dont have a fast enough server or enough bandwith then this explains why when its a footy match things go slower.

Everyone here automatically assumes that its a Thai ISP problem not even thinking about the other reasons. I operate a webserver and i can tell you different servers perform differently speed wise. 

All those conspiracy theories are fine but no proof and all aimed at the internet none of it aimed at the ISP..

As for why Netflix and others still work fast is because they got a better server network. That is why the big companies still are fast. Dropboxy has servers everywhere as Netflix. 

Actually the remark from one guy saying that when in the weekend he wanted to watch soccer it got slower points to that. I mean many people logging on a  important event means slower service unless the servers are fast enough.

Edited by robblok

TRUE is throttling, even with VPN on especially on evenings, daytime I have not noticed. I also wondering if should change provider due to that, but have not done anything.

Wonder if AIS or 3BB are better with that?

Are you using WIFI if so it's better to hardwire your device to the router. Try unplugging both your device and router regularly to reset the connections. You should be able to clear the cache on your app by following the settings menu.