New condo rental -what do I need to buy?

Just rented a furnished condo. It has bits and bobs for the kitchen. I have quality sheets, towels, a proper corkscrew, some bed side lamps on my list.

What did you forget to buy before moving in somewhere?

Condo is a small one bedroom. Has decent shelving. Has as much furniture as I need. In fact: If I want some furniture taken away will the owner do that?

9 hours ago, LaosLover said:

Curtains are very plush -as befits an upper-middle price condo.

Deffo on the mat tho. What's a good, cheap/mid-priced store to get all my homewares in one go? I'm in Nimman, Chiang Mai. Power Buy looks like the place for a toaster etc. 

They had a huge sign in the lobby offering an unspecified reward for turning in Air BnB renters. That's a good thing, right?

Thai Watsadu or HomePro will have everything needed.

Yes, it's a good thing because you don't want Air BNB renters having loud parties next to you going all hours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OP, its really comes down to the individual landlord, if they will remove furniture etc.

Its probably a good idea to have some sort of inventory of what was in the condo when you moved in, otherwise, 2-3 years later, the landlord may claim the airfryer you bought was always there, or he didnt remove any furniture.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

How do we know what you need without seeing what is in the condo?

Buy what you need.

Wow, thanks Henry David Thoreau. Did a quick tour, signed on the spot. In the hot rental rental market of Nimman, you have to. I'm surprised at how well furnished it is. We have rice cooker.

Next up: electric wok, blender, toaster. No need for a pod coffee maker like at home with 35 baht lattes downstairs. In Japan, I did well buying at sayonara sales when people moved. Do people do that here?

Will def be possession-averse. We're probably only here 2-3 years. We collect Hilltribe textiles, but it's gotta A+++ and under a hundred bucks to rate drape over a chair status.

2 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Wow, thanks Henry David Thoreau. Did a quick tour, signed on the spot. In the hot rental rental market of Nimman, you have to. I'm surprised at how well furnished it is. We have rice cooker.

Next up: electric wok, blender, toaster. No need for a pod coffee maker like at home with 35 baht lattes downstairs. In Japan, I did well buying at sayonara sales when people moved. Do people do that here?

Will def be possession-averse. We're probably only here 2-3 years. We collect Hilltribe textiles, but it's gotta A+++ and under a hundred bucks to rate drape over a chair status.

How much a month is it?

I’m not going to give a specific answer.  Just an honest honest one. The What the owner will do and not do depends  on them.  Just because other owners do or not do something , doesn’t mean yours will.  You have to confer with your owner on specifics. 
And it sounds like you have a good amount of things.  Take inventory of what you personally need and if you have it or not.  

Edited by swm59nj
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

How much a month is it?

Because I love you: 20K baht a month. So 666 baht a night. A hotel room of that quality would be at least triple that and without a kitchen. 

Have a look at the Nimmana condo in Chiang Mai. This isn't an endorsement, so I hope saying the property name is allowed here.

We wanted to be on the other side of Nimman Ave and my wife wanted a balcony to smoke on. Otherwise, we're really happy to have gotten such a great place. Most Nimman listing get rented in a single day -and that's without Chinese competition.

Said the agent, we're on the Chinese-owned side of Nimman Ave. The other side is mostly owned by one Thai person.

4 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Because I love you: 20K baht a month. So 666 baht a night. A hotel room of that quality would be at least triple that and without a kitchen. 

Have a look at the Nimmana condo in Chiang Mai. This isn't an endorsement, so I hope saying the property name is allowed here.

We wanted to be on the other side of Nimman Ave and my wife wanted a balcony to smoke on. Otherwise, we're really happy to have gotten such a great place. Most Nimman listing get rented in a single day -and that's without Chinese competition.

Said the agent, we're on the Chinese-owned side of Nimman Ave. The other side is mostly owned by one Thai person.

Married a smoker.

North Carolinian. Pretty much every man, woman, and child there.

She gave it up for years, but had a long medical convalescence and re-took it up out of boredom. She's shifting to vaping. It's better to wait it out than to nag. She'll def be blowing it out the window. Hope no one grasses on her.

CM is the most culturally Thai part of Thailand. It's like Florence or Kyoto. No other place has so much history and art in so small a place. Not that the Nimman area is ever going to be confused with Venice.

Edited by LaosLover