How Much Would You Have To Be Paid...

Good advice is something realative.

Of course, it sure is easier to build a career and do better back home or elsewhere than Thailand.

Fun guy, figure out exactly what you want to do right NOW, not in 5 years time. You currently have debts and a negative income. Thats the first thing to fix. No. 2 would then be to figure out what you are gonna be doing down the line.

If you figure out a decent salary in BKK, i would guess somewhere around 70-80,000 for a single guy, making sure you have annual increments and/or bonus' in that contract.

With 70-80k you would be living in a decent apartment, paying for a car, (health insurance should of course be payed by your employer). My my budgeting you should be able to save 10-15,000/month even if you went out a good few nights a week. You certainly wouldnt be penny pinching unless you seriously dont know how to live your life according to your means.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're obviously not the nobleman your title suggests :o . You sound more like a Thai traditional dancer at court. If you watch how they move their fingers, it's thirty baht in and forty baht out :D . To be honest: You might as well be asking how many millimetres tall should my girlfriend be?

Personally I'd also agree with the post of think where you want to be in 5 years time. Tho' the number of years is arbitrary, i.e "begin with the end in mind" and work towards it.

You probably NEED 5-7k a month to exist as a foreigner. Rent 4-6k a month (sorry no aircon) plus 40-50 baht a day for 2 bowls of noodles/street food a day. Wouldn't be much fun but you could exist. Then cross your fingers you don't get sick.

For many people 35k is a figure for a just about acceptable life. That's why English teachers get that level. Over time employers and employees find a natural acceptable minimum level.

Personally I'd want to be able to spend 70k a month minimum for the lifestyle. Given death and taxes I'd set the bar at 100k for a salary to be comfortable, for MY lifestyle short term if I was single: some small savings and medical. I wouldn't want to be doing this long term though. Longer term I'd be looking 150k+ minium in case I got old one day. Plus there's the future, where a wife and kids may come along.

A couple of other notes:

- You're probably not doing your career any favours in BKK. Have some fun for a while, but eventually you're going to have to think a little more. Sensible to make a career then to come back to BKK. Less fun short term, but more fun long term.

- As for young ladies :D . I suggest sir excercises a little care. You don't want to be falling sick or bringing a kid into the world as things stand.

- Sorry mate I think you've alread worked out your current lifestyle isn't sustainable long term. Yes you need to either increase your income or lower your expenses. Might have to cut a few comforts. Working out a budget wouldn't be a bad thing.

- Probably no harm in asking for a rise. Give some reasons why you're worth it. Likely worst outcome is they say no. But they might say yes. You could even be up front and say you're struggling financally. If you've got a decent boss they'll consider your request. If not decent you should be thinking about leaving anyway. An apalling boss would sack you. Anyway you're probably better off.

At the moment you don't seem to be controlling your life. That can be fun to see what happens. But taking control is more preferable for most people

Good advice is something realative.

Of course, it sure is easier to build a career and do better back home or elsewhere than Thailand.

Fun guy, figure out exactly what you want to do right NOW, not in 5 years time. You currently have debts and a negative income. Thats the first thing to fix. No. 2 would then be to figure out what you are gonna be doing down the line.

If you figure out a decent salary in BKK, i would guess somewhere around 70-80,000 for a single guy, making sure you have annual increments and/or bonus' in that contract.

With 70-80k you would be living in a decent apartment, paying for a car, (health insurance should of course be payed by your employer). My my budgeting you should be able to save 10-15,000/month even if you went out a good few nights a week. You certainly wouldnt be penny pinching unless you seriously dont know how to live your life according to your means.

I mentioned 'walk away' before, and that advice still stands if you only in Thailand for the sake of being here.

But as other have mentioned, if you have a 5 year plan, and you realistically think that what you are doing now is going to start paying off for you at some point, then it is worth perhaps keeping keeping Thailand in your plans, but you have to make sure you are seen to be relevant in the outside world.

I can only use myself as an example, I've flitted between here and OZ for the better part of the past 12 years. I've worked in OZ to get 'respectable' experience on my CV with proper western consulting firms to get the 'ooh, ahh' factor onto my CV, but I've increasingly based myself here so that I could position myself as somewhat of a 'Thailand/SE expert'. This combination is useful to foreign multinationals who respect my Australian (and UK) experience, but are looking for someone with on the ground experience as well.

My first job here back in the mid 90's was a 6 month gig for 10K per month with a consulting engineering firm, and from there is has slowly, but surely snowballed to the point where I'm earning now what I could back in OZ for what I do. But I've made sure that I've been attractive not to Thai companies - who will (mostly) always pay crappily - but to multinationals who don't skimp. If you feel that you are aiming for that, then you would need to figure out a way to keep your feet in both camps...

he is a writer guys, not much hope for big pay increases in thailand. he is not an engineer where there is upside.

what this guy needs not to do is look 5 years down the line. he is sinking now.

he need to take care of business now.

you guys give horrible financial advice.

Back in april 2005, I was offered 150,000 baht per month (approx £27,000 per year) to work for Seimens in bkk as a SAP Consultant.

I turned it down, because I figured I could work in europe at european rates, after for two years, and then return and not have to work again.

Now its June 2007, I'm coming to the end of my current contract and planning to re-located to thailand (at least for the winter months). I worked on the basis of deferred gratification.

when you guys use ex. sap consultant, can you type at least what sap is the first time....lol.

www.sap.com

It is comprehensive business software and the world number 1 business software.

Most large to medium companies use it, as it already contains most of the functionality they are likely to use.

when you guys use ex. sap consultant, can you type at least what sap is the first time....lol.

www.sap.com

It is comprehensive business software and the world number 1 business software.

Most large to medium companies use it, as it already contains most of the functionality they are likely to use.

Sir Sanuk

I would advise you to do some research on local and expat salaries in your line of work.

There are some available on the internet and at some local and international recruitment

agencies

If your pay equals the locals; point out your stronger points such as probably English language

skills and discuss it in this manner with your boss

If he doesn't give you a raise in pay then either stay and look for something different

pick up a study or whatever to improve your skills and educational level

They like the MBA and BSc here so much.......

good luck

J

Thank you everyone for your advice and comments.

After living in Bangkok now for 2 years on a Thai salary it is clear that something has to change. (75% of my salary is going straight into my apartment and I still have a student loan to pay off in the UK). I plan to speak to my boss about it and in the meantime I will continue to keep applying for positions with multinational companies in Asia. (Although it seems that for most of these positions you are sent from your home country on an expat package).

Thanks again and I hope the info and thoughts on this thread have helped others as well as me!

Sir Sanuk, for what it's worth, most of the large international professional services firms (accountants, law firms etc) use native english writers to 'tidy up' english language reports, documents etc before sending to clients. The originals are usually written by Thais in, understandably, less than perfect English.

The going rate for these kind of roles is usually 70-100k from what I can make out, although the incumbents usually also have some english language teaching responsibilities too - ie, they may do a lunchtime seminar for thai staff.

I give this information for comparative purposes only.

Sir Sanuk, for what it's worth, most of the large international professional services firms (accountants, law firms etc) use native english writers to 'tidy up' english language reports, documents etc before sending to clients. The originals are usually written by Thais in, understandably, less than perfect English.

The going rate for these kind of roles is usually 70-100k from what I can make out, although the incumbents usually also have some english language teaching responsibilities too - ie, they may do a lunchtime seminar for thai staff.

I had a friend who used to do the same, for similar money too....so can vouch for bendix's take on the going rate.

Thanks, that's interesting because I am actually doing that now in addition to creating new marketing content (magazine articles, advertisements, brochures, news letters, websites etc, etc) for large international companies from the US, Europe and Japan.

you may be good at what you do but you do need a freakin budget.

and you can start by bringing your housing expeses down to 300$ a month. no one financially responsible pays 75% of income on housing.

i got a real fine apt for 300$ a month. just by doing that you would double your other spendable income.

Why would anyone work in Thailand for a smaller salary that anywhere else? I live in Thailand and work here occasionally. $10,000 per month is about rock bottom. Of course, if other people in your profession will work for beer money,

USD 10,000 per month? That's nearly as much as I earn in London! What do you do?

Why would anyone work in Thailand for a smaller salary that anywhere else? I live in Thailand and work here occasionally. $10,000 per month is about rock bottom. Of course, if other people in your profession will work for beer money,

USD 10,000 per month? That's nearly as much as I earn in London! What do you do?

nothing just showing off a little bit.

:o Hullo Bendix.... I just gave up writing and editing magazines! Can you please PM me some details on the lucrative 'tidy up' work for large international professional services firms?

ps. I have a degree....

Seriously.

K :D

I would work in Thailand for anything down to FREE, but only if it was part of some plan to sooner (!) or later be making comparable or better money than in Europe in my present proffession.(and I would presently struggle to think of a way that I could actually do this in Thailand!).

B40k per month? IMO it's a "lifestyle" income, ok for semi-retirement or as an additional income, or as a fun way to spend a couple of years (and arguably not a bad thing to have on a CV some international experiance) - but IMO not nearly enough to build a secure financial future that is independent of being financially stuck in the 3rd world........

How about after talking to the boss then go back home (UK?) for a holiday and do some serious face to face job hunting, so at least you know what your options actually are..........

What is the minimum salary you would consider acceptable for living in Bangkok when you have a good degree from a decent university and a couple of years experience in your chosen field that would enable you to get a good job back home?

I've been working in Bangkok for 2 years now on a Thai salary but every day I'm getting more and more worried that by staying here I am screwing up my future financially (no savings and growing debt).

In fact, my salary is no longer even covering my monthly expenses so I my plan is to explain my situation to my boss (an American) and tell him that either I get a payrise or I will have no choice but to go back to the UK... but what kind of salary do you think I should aim for?

I'm just curious to hear what other people here would be happy to live on..

What is your job? Why would you work for a Thai salary?

What keeps you in BKK at such a low pay? The usual? :o

I lived in bangkok and had various apartments ranging from 18k to 35k per month and even the cheapest one was very nice. Why do you need to pay 30K for an apartment?

There are also 2 points that i think have not been covered in this thread...

1, many people have said look where you want to be in 5 years. But also you need to look at where you are going to be in 5 years if you carry on like you are.

2, you think you should be getting more money for doing your job, the question only you can answer is, are you actually any good? Perhaps you have not had the payrise because your not pulling your wait. Only a thought :o

so many bad with their finances on this board. and so many then give bad finacial advice to top it off.

whenever a poster makes a good fincial post im shocked like nidge did.....lol.

there must be a business opportunity here. financial advisor to poor farangs. then youd be just like them.

ive seen apts in the 150$ range not great but good for poor farang. not gonna solve his problem but will give him breathing room financially speaking.

ps. ive seen many an employee who think they doing a good job when they suck.

Edited by blizzard

:o Hullo Bendix.... I just gave up writing and editing magazines! Can you please PM me some details on the lucrative 'tidy up' work for large international professional services firms?

ps. I have a degree....

Seriously.

K :D

Look up all the 'magic circle' firms (is that the nickname??) from the UK who have either a office here or have a relationship with. Also look up Australian firms who have a presence here as well. For instance AAR in OZ are linked to Siam Premier here, who are in turn linked to Slaughter and May in the UK.

What is the minimum salary you would consider acceptable for living in Bangkok when you have a good degree from a decent university and a couple of years experience in your chosen field that would enable you to get a good job back home?

I've been working in Bangkok for 2 years now on a Thai salary but every day I'm getting more and more worried that by staying here I am screwing up my future financially (no savings and growing debt).

In fact, my salary is no longer even covering my monthly expenses so I my plan is to explain my situation to my boss (an American) and tell him that either I get a payrise or I will have no choice but to go back to the UK... but what kind of salary do you think I should aim for?

I'm just curious to hear what other people here would be happy to live on..

I think many of us ... even those like me that are still in our early 40's and have been here for some number of years are not in the same position. We have our retirement set already and if we work here we do it to alleviate boredom. That being said, If I were to work in BKK it would need to be somewhere on the order of 100k/mo or I'd just do volunteer work for free! I am not one to sell my skills to cheap!

With the OP's skill set he should be able to get some freelance work via the internet to help with those expenses. If he isn't planning on going for PR and eventually retiring here he should get out now.

I lived in bangkok and had various apartments ranging from 18k to 35k per month and even the cheapest one was very nice. Why do you need to pay 30K for an apartment?

There are also 2 points that i think have not been covered in this thread...

1, many people have said look where you want to be in 5 years. But also you need to look at where you are going to be in 5 years if you carry on like you are.

2, you think you should be getting more money for doing your job, the question only you can answer is, are you actually any good? Perhaps you have not had the payrise because your not pulling your wait. Only a thought :o

Up until a few months ago I was paying only 13,000 per month for rent but due to problems beyond my control I was forced to move apartment at very short notice and my new place is 22K, so after bills that is around 27K which is almost 75% of my salary and leaves me with 13,000 a month to live on.

Also, there is no doubt that I am pulling more than my fair share of my weight at work as I am the only native English-speaking employee so everything that is in English immediately becomes my responsibility.

this is what i dont get. he look for work on his own in bkk at multinational firm . shouldnt multi firm pay him thai wages. if said firm is gonna pay expat wages shouldnt they take someone intenally that they know is a good employee. someone who already works for them.

this is bkk people you can get apt for 100$ a month in one day!

Edited by blizzard

People have migrated to new places and countries through-out history, mostly to hopefully improve their economic conditions. The US is example of this as is what is happening in the UK and other parts of Europe with the mass migration of South Asians.

I don’t think I have ever seen an example of a group of people migrating to a country in order to have less economic success. Why someone would come to Thailand and work for 40k baht (or less) in order to just be able to live here is beyond me.

I am fortunate to have a skill in particular industry that is going though a major upswing at this time and would never go work somewhere (just to live there) for anything less the international level salary I can command. If someone (particularly a young person) has given up a career with a real future in order to work in Thailand for a fraction of their worth at home (or internationally) they are living only for the short term and have not thought about what happens when they get to be 60+.

TH

This is probably about 75% of farangs in Thailand.

Even a similar amout of farangs retiring to Thailand are in the same boat. Small amounts of some type of income

from back home, which surely would not be enough back home but enough to get by in Thailand. They end

up taking on a T-loc and her extended family just getting by until their demise. Must be a miserable bunch to

want to leave home in such order, but then again I guess most of us have a death wish of raising someone elses

family when we get older, as long as it is not our own back home.

People have migrated to new places and countries through-out history, mostly to hopefully improve their economic conditions. The US is example of this as is what is happening in the UK and other parts of Europe with the mass migration of South Asians.

I don’t think I have ever seen an example of a group of people migrating to a country in order to have less economic success. Why someone would come to Thailand and work for 40k baht (or less) in order to just be able to live here is beyond me.

I am fortunate to have a skill in particular industry that is going though a major upswing at this time and would never go work somewhere (just to live there) for anything less the international level salary I can command. If someone (particularly a young person) has given up a career with a real future in order to work in Thailand for a fraction of their worth at home (or internationally) they are living only for the short term and have not thought about what happens when they get to be 60+.

TH