Will this new toilet fits?

prb

Good morning, 

The Cotto toilet in my condo is leaking from the base and needs Refits or Repair or Replacement.

As i don't like the shape of the old toilet I've decided to go for a replacement.

Looking at the technical docs on the  few models that could be okay i noticed a difference that could be a problem, regarding the distance to the wall.

OLD Toilet:

image.png.36bce2a4c23519c09314b5d54774a97f.png

NEW Toilet:

image.png.63d593788f961df05cfd7fc689b372a0.png

If you look at the drawings on the right, it seems that between the old and new toilet an increase of space of 5 mm (0.19 inches) is needed between the cistern and the wall. Unfortunately even if it's a very small distance,  the actual cistern is really stuck to the wall and I understand that obviously the drain part of the base has to be placed on the toilet pipe at 305 mm from the wall, no choice.

image.png.9007591a3643abd5a0a949c059956fb6.png

Do I understand the technical drawing correctly?

Is this small difference of spacing can be easily solved by finding some extra space during the installation of the cistern on the base or the installation of  base on the ground pipe?

Thanks

Edited by prb

It will be OK its the waste ground outlet which is important and sealed fit. 

Make sure the waste outlet ground pipe is clear and waste water runs away without backing up, otherwise you will have the same leak as before.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, prb said:

i moved the old toilet to check the pipe and what i've seen seems far from standards even for thailand.

image.png.f7ee8e112fe9e3b5b473c2aac1289be4.png

image.png.431d0063f969001993fa5c76ce72e034.png

It obviously needs a full access to the pipe does someone know what needs to be done? Just try to cut the tile, add a rubber ring and screw?

Is any handyman with plumbing knowledge able to do that?

Looks exactly like Thai unsupervised drainage work to me. ????

You will or someone competent will be able to tidy that waste drainage outlet up. 

It looks like there was no suitable connection to the previous toilet pan outlet pipe section. 

Please note as i said beforehand get to pore a suitable amount of water down the drain to make sure it's not backing up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

<deleted> !!!

????????????????????????‍♂️

There is an adapter that glues into that pipe (once the tiles are cut out of the way… ????
It may come supplied with the new suite.

Or there is a different fitting with a pipe that fits inside the one in the floor and has a “finned” rubber seal.

Either way the current setup is horrendous !

Edited by HighPriority
I didn’t know I couldn’t say <deleted>
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, prb said:

i moved the old toilet to check the pipe and what i've seen seems far from standards even for thailand.

image.png.f7ee8e112fe9e3b5b473c2aac1289be4.png

image.png.431d0063f969001993fa5c76ce72e034.png

It obviously needs a full access to the pipe does someone know what needs to be done? Just try to cut the tile, add a rubber ring and screw?

Is any handyman with plumbing knowledge able to do that?

That's just some sad A$$ craftsmanship ... ????

It seems all your old toilet needed was a bit of cement under the base where it was leaking.  Normal install here is white cement bottom edge of base to floor.  As long as toilet is not subject to elephant pressures that should be all that is required.  Drain seal is not normally used as that requires downward pressure (screws) to seal.  So exact fit is not required as long as drains close.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

It seems all your old toilet needed was a bit of cement under the base where it was leaking.  Normal install here is white cement bottom edge of base to floor.  As long as toilet is not subject to elephant pressures that should be all that is required.  Drain seal is not normally used as that requires downward pressure (screws) to seal.  So exact fit is not required as long as drains close.

Thanks. I was thinking about asking the guy (when i will found one) to cut the tile, drill the floor and screw something like that (avail. in homepro) :

image.png.41432a0d470b500134151cd06b982684.png

They would not do a work like this here? 

• Like 1

Some toilets would accept - other not.  Many are now sold with a rubber washer seal but it is almost never used as local method is to make a good white cement seal to floor and using seal would likely not allow that (push up) without the screws that are normally set into plywood floors in other countries.  What I have seen, shipped by Cotto, are not like what you show from HomePro however so suspect that is for specific toilets only.

22 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Some toilets would accept - other not.  Many are now sold with a rubber washer seal but it is almost never used as local method is to make a good white cement seal to floor and using seal would likely not allow that (push up) without the screws that are normally set into plywood floors in other countries.  What I have seen, shipped by Cotto, are not like what you show from HomePro however so suspect that is for specific toilets only.

Yes, i look quite few Cotto spec sheets and in some a Rubber Seal: ref C9374 is provided. This is what it should look like:

image.png.1c5e93a7e1f7bb9f27515e0b707367fe.png

This is provided in some Cotto toilets and not in some others. It was supposed to be a part of the original toilet but I cannot check if it was fitted as i couldn't put the toilet upside down. It is supposed to be supplied with the new Cotto toilet I want to buy.

So, even a skilled Thai worker is not going to use it and will seal with white cement instead? 

Edited by prb

3 hours ago, prb said:

Yes, i look quite few Cotto spec sheets and in some a Rubber Seal: ref C9374 is provided. This is what it should look like:

image.png.1c5e93a7e1f7bb9f27515e0b707367fe.png

This is provided in some Cotto toilets and not in some others. It was supposed to be a part of the original toilet but I cannot check if it was fitted as i couldn't put the toilet upside down. It is supposed to be supplied with the new Cotto toilet I want to buy.

So, even a skilled Thai worker is not going to use it and will seal with white cement instead? 

Most will as that is standard here where screws are not normally used.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Except for the human waste that gets trapped in the void and leaches into the grout and the sand/cement substrate… best case scenario is bad odour.

It is surpossed to be a seal between pipe and pan to prevent leakage. 

• 4 weeks later...

So, as i like to conclude the topics with the solutions found, after advice from the plumber I hired, was fitted an American Standard model with a pipe going into the ground hole. Everything was sealed with white cement.

image.png.6144537a1db58a7b3093266da01f8d1f.png

Happy so far with it.

• Like 1