Anyone travelled business on the Qatar A380- and how does it compare to Q suites?

Scouse123

Guys,

I am travelling to the UK this week and the first leg from BKK-DOH is on the big A380 reintroduced by Qatar air.

The DOH-MAN will be on the 787-8 Dream liner.

I am travelling in business class and I have been on a A380 before but only downstairs at the front of the plane in economy.

They are offering me an upgrade to first class for this leg of the journey BKK-DOH from Business to First at an extra 50,000 baht, ...........an offer I will NOT be taking.

I know there is a sit up bar on this plane in the upstairs business cabin.

How does it compare to the 777 Q suites experience apart from being the largest passenger aircraft in the sky?

It's comfortable, and better than the 787, which only has 2 lavatories for the entire Business Class. The 787 also has a sliding door, but I found it quite claustrophobic. The A380 feels much less so.

My recent trips on Qatar, in October, I had the same combo. Whilst the staff are very willing, the standard of F&B onboard has deteriorated, and the "a la carte" dining is chaotic. I was travelling with my partner, and we were in the middle two seats, but meal and food service did not co-ordinate, as his side was serviced by other crew. My (second) glass of champagne came after take off, his about 40 minutes later. I decided to avoid all food on the return journey, and instead ate in the lounge (in Madrid run by Iberia), and of course the Doha lounge.

The latter was packed to the gunnels on the outward journey with a long queue to get a shower, as there were a number of flights arriving at the same time.

Qatar still gets the "Airline of the Year" award, but I think that crown is no longer justified. Overall a huge disappointment after a 4 year hiatus because of covid.

Sorry. I didn't answer your question: I haven't been in a Q suite, although the 787 with the door is described as a "suite".

Edited by samtam
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, samtam said:

It's comfortable, and better than the 787, which only has 2 lavatories for the entire Business Class. The 787 also has a sliding door, but I found it quite claustrophobic. The A380 feels much less so.

My recent trips on Qatar, in October, I had the same combo. Whilst the staff are very willing, the standard of F&B onboard has deteriorated, and the "a la carte" dining is chaotic. I was travelling with my partner, and we were in the middle two seats, but meal and food service did not co-ordinate, as his side was serviced by other crew. My (second) glass of champagne came after take off, his about 40 minutes later. I decided to avoid all food on the return journey, and instead ate in the lounge (in Madrid run by Iberia), and of course the Doha lounge.

The latter was packed to the gunnels on the outward journey with a long queue to get a shower, as there were a number of flights arriving at the same time.

Qatar still gets the "Airline of the Year" award, but I think that crown is no longer justified. Overall a huge disappointment after a 4 year hiatus because of covid.

Sorry. I didn't answer your question: I haven't been in a Q suite, although the 787 with the door is described as a "suite".

Thank you,

You have been helpful, I am looking forward to this sit at the bar experience on the A380!

I find Q suites a bit claustrophobic as well but they are OK if you want to be totally left alone.

I had a couple of guys talking to me in Doha whilst awaiting the gate to open, bitterly complaining regards economy class in Qatar and said they were moving back to Emirates.

Whenever I have traveled economy, I pay extra for exit row seats.

Edited by Scouse123
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Thank you,

You have been helpful, I am looking forward to this sit at the bar experience on the A380!

Emirates has the same in Business. For some bizarre and unknown reason I was able to buy and upgrade DXB-BKK for $200 one time. But only one time. Even included the limo meet in Bangkok.

I also one time - but only one time - got upgraded from Economy to Concorde on BA New York to London which cost me nothing at all, but that's another story.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

They are offering me an upgrade to first class for this leg of the journey BKK-DOH from Business to First at an extra 50,000 baht, ...........an offer I will NOT be taking.

IMHO If you can afford it and before never have flown First Class, take it!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Emirates has the same in Business. For some bizarre and unknown reason I was able to buy and upgrade DXB-BKK for $200 one time. But only one time. Even included the limo meet in Bangkok.

I also one time - but only one time - got upgraded from Economy to Concorde on BA New York to London which cost me nothing at all, but that's another story.

I have a mate who is a frequent visitor to Thailand and arrives yet again at the beginning of December and he swears by Emirates business class.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Thank you,

I find Q suites a bit claustrophobic as well but they are OK if you want to be totally left alone.

I had a couple of guys talking to me in Doha whilst awaiting the gate to open, bitterly complaining regards economy class in Qatar and said they were moving back to Emirates.

Whenever I have traveled economy, I pay extra for exit row seats.

Yes sorry I'd changed to Qatar a few years ago, I'd been using Ethiad very happy with their service. Qatar getting into out of  Dublin a better time my reason to change. During Covid Qatar had offer to purchase frequent flyer points. Tried to upgrade was refused. Most unhappy with Qatar, they thinking don't care for lolaty! 

• Like 1

On 11/6/2022 at 6:52 PM, farmerjo said:

What got me was how much the wings flex.

Very enjoyable flight on a 380 although didn't take advantage of the bar.

I've never used the bar, although it usually seems to be empty, but I'm usually mid sleep when I take a peek, and alcohol is not high on my list of priorities.