Where to source triple black velvet fabric for light absorption in Home Theater setup?

creative1000

I already bought a few velvets from shopee/lazada, but they're not the correct type - stretchy and thin, like the kind made for dresses. According to the AV Forums, theres a soft thick plush version called triple black velvet that is ideal for covering the wall, ceiling, black border around screen often found in Hobby Lobby or Amazon in the USA. Anyone have any leads here in Thailand?

When I built my home theater six years ago I was unable to find suitable black velvet in Thailand. 
Fortunately the the "Plush Triple Velvet" made by SY Fabrics was available on Amazon. Not offered by Amazon now unfortunately. And SY Fabrics does not ship to Thailand. Maybe you can have someone in the US or Canada order from SY, then ship to you.

So why am I replying to your post if I can't help you find velvet? Because I found a great solution for the
parts of the theater that are not covered with velvet. I use SY velvet on the screen wall. And out from screen two meters on walls and ceiling. The rest of the room is completely covered with "Black Velvet Vinyl Wrap". Much better than flat black paint. Makes the theater an actual "bat cave".

Available from AliExpress: 
"https://th.aliexpress.com/item/32603827813.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.21ef52ceWx60pK&gatewayAdapt=glo2tha"

You should still use the best velvet you can find around the screen wall. I just wanted to let you know about the "Black Velvet Vinyl Wrap".

• Like 1

@cgros Thanks! Appreciate the lead with aliexpress. Reminds me of a post I just read about the blackest black fabric - Musou Black Fabric KIWAMI. In this video they sprayed a car with musou black paint: 

So good, I'm not going out of my mind. Literally spent 6 hours searching in Thai, Chinese, Korean, Japanese (with Google Translate and VPN's for each country to appear local). I'll probably do just what you suggested, Amazon delivery to my family in the USA who will visit Thailand early next year.

The crazy thing is the plush velvet fabrics are probably made in asia. lol why is it so difficult to source! grrrr

Thanks again.