Songthaew not stopping when flagging them down - what's the deal?

bbi1

What's the deal with Songthaews not stopping when flagging them down? I flagged down 6 songthaews one after another on Beach Rd, all empty and none of them stopped. It's like they don't want to collect any cash.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I used to avoid empty ones as they often were operating in 'taxi mode'....I expect now the tourists are back they will be doing that... specifically looking for a couple or group of tourists that can be charged 200 or so baht for a short ride. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Indians get ripped off here for everything, including alcohol prices at the Indian nightclubs and the prices the girls charge them. It's called the 'being an Indian tax'.

Have'nt heard of a gold chain going off for a while, the thieving ladyboys are slipping!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2baht said:

Have'nt heard of a gold chain going off for a while, the thieving ladyboys are slipping!

I suspect the Indian grapevine wised folks up... haven't seen them sporting their gold chains of late. Weren't the LBs back to pickpocketing Koreans now? (I suspect the one under the bed trick going through the pockets is still happening too!)

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, jacko45k said:

I suspect the Indian grapevine wised folks up... haven't seen them sporting their gold chains of late. Weren't the LBs back to pickpocketing Koreans now? (I suspect the one under the bed trick going through the pockets is still happening too!)

Well, they do have a reputation to maintain! ????

20 hours ago, champers said:

the Indians got off at Aiyara Palace Hotel and paid 100 for the pair

very (very) hard to believe; Indians are the ones who know all prices best for everything around the globe. And they have fantastic networking abilities. It rather amazes that they didn't try to cut the fare from 20 to say 14 or 16 Baht

21 hours ago, champers said:

I have caught a few busses today plus a moto taxi to do a few small errands. My last bus home to Naklua there was just me and 2 Indian guys, the Indians got off at Aiyara Palace Hotel and paid 100 for the pair. I got off a bit later and paid my 10 Baht. 3 passengers and fares for 11. Most Indians are only here for a 3 day stay and don't know they are being ripped off. It wil kick off if & when they find out, IMO.

They are generous not being ripped off...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thurien said:

very (very) hard to believe; Indians are the ones who know all prices best for everything around the globe. And they have fantastic networking abilities. It rather amazes that they didn't try to cut the fare from 20 to say 14 or 16 Baht

I assume the price was agreed before they got on the bus because they handed over 100 Baht without a word.

12 hours ago, 2baht said:

The insurance companies have gotten wise to them. The Indians that is.

Edited by possum1931

12 hours ago, thurien said:

LOL. I was on the Pattaya bus route ( 10 baht ) and an Indian asked me if he could bargain the fare!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/7/2022 at 6:28 PM, bbi1 said:

What's the deal with Songthaews not stopping when flagging them down? I flagged down 6 songthaews one after another on Beach Rd, all empty and none of them stopped. It's like they don't want to collect any cash.

Lunch time..

22 hours ago, bang saen guy said:

I particularly like the ones that slow almost to a stop, change their minds and zoom off. Like <deleted>?

Yeah, got those a few times too. You flag them down, they come to you and nearly stop then you walk to get on and they zoom away.

20 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Yeah, got those a few times too. You flag them down, they come to you and nearly stop then you walk to get on and they zoom away.

Because they are operating as a taxi. They want you to go to the driver and ask the price. If you just try to get on the back for 10 baht, they drive off. Surprised you dont know this.