A Visit to Vientiane?

gmpwt

Always fancied a visit to see the place but never managed so far.

Is anyone up to date on current Laos visa rules for a UK passport holder and a Thai passport holder to fly up for a weekend visit?

We are both fully vax'd so got that bit covered but I am unsure between getting an e-visa or visa on arrival & pros & cons of each.

• Like 1

Been 9 yrs since, so far from current.  Always enjoyed my visits.  Most things walkable, good food, inexpensive Beer Lao ... what's not to like.

Just get the VOA, too easy, or was.  You'll need USD for VOA, exact change and photos, or use to need.  Do NOT use any visa services at Nong Khai, as unnecessary & overpriced. 

They take THB/USD, usually, or can change a wee bit of money at border, then more at the bank if wanting.

Use to be a bus into town at the border, not advertised very well, if not taking one of the intern'l buses from TH to downtown Vientiane.  Plenty of touts offering rides into town.

• Like 1

I don't think anything has changed. one month Visa on arrival but if you want to save a whole page of your passport then imo e-visa is better. No problem with Thai passport, i would spend at least a week in Laos, especially now they have 'the train', some lovely spots up north Vang veng, on the Song river and Luang prabang have stunning scenery, on the Mekong.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HungDonger said:

Don't think your Thai wife has to pay the $40

Maybe someone is up-to-date with the rules for Thai people using passport or ID card (with some 3? day pass)?

All I know is that procedures for passport are different from using ID card.

For a weekend and refraining to Vientiane the ID card might suffice.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Sounds like things have eased:

"Thai citizens can enter neighboring Laos without a visa for up to 30 days. "

https://www.visalaos.com/visa-requirements/thai-citizens/

They always could, since 2000. that I know of, as long as getting a 'border pass' (?) beforehand, if not having PP.

Wife w/PP just had to sign some form & pay small fee 50 (?) baht.  Last time there was 2013.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

Similarly to the OP, thinking about spending a week (holiday) in Laos next month, starting in Vientiane.

Never really spent much time there, only visiting the large power plant in Hongsa, where my company does regular work.

A few questions I had have been answered in this thread. Thanks to the contributors. I will update this thread hopefully after our visit. ????