Need a hernia operation

watgate

I am checking to see if anyone has any first hand info about a surgeon named Dr Krittaya U-wichian who does surgery at Nang Rong Hospital in Nang Rong. Any dealings with him and what was the outcome would help me make a good decision as to how best to proceed. Thanks

I asked about an umbilical hernia op about 4 years ago and Sheryl advised one of the larger hospitals because they would be better equipped to deal with any unexpected problems. I lived not too far from Nang Rong and was considering Surin. 

Bangkok Korat hospital was recommended. The service was excellent and it cost me 205,000 Baht. Unfortunately, the repair didn't work and I went back to the UK for NHS surgery.

• Like 1

As above - I do not recommend that anyone have surgery at a community level hospital if it can be avoided.

There are 2 regional level government hospitals each about an hour (give or take) from Nang Rong: Buriram Hospital and Maharat Nakhon Rachasima.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

As above - I do not recommend that anyone have surgery at a community level hospital if it can be avoided.

There are 2 regional level government hospitals each about an hour (give or take) from Nang Rong: Buriram Hospital and Maharat Nakhon Rachasima.

I would not consider Buriram Hospital for any surgery.  Surin Hospital, as mentioned by h&s - I would consider it, but much, much better is Fort Suranaree in Korat. Better than Maharat, on par with Bangkok Hospital Korat.

I had an inguinal hernia re-repair a few years ago after the first repair burst after ~35 years.

The surgeon explained to me that the original repair was a stitch-up that eventually burst.  The new way is to use a piece of mesh material.  You should ask your surgeon about this.  This was five years ago, so far so good.  On occasion when I have a digestive problem I get a little awareness of the wound area, but I'm able to forget about it.  Word to the wise: after getting the surgery, and for the rest of your days, it is in your interest to avoid constipation (I wish someone had warned me of this).

Best of luck.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, bendejo said:

I had an inguinal hernia re-repair a few years ago after the first repair burst after ~35 years.

The surgeon explained to me that the original repair was a stitch-up that eventually burst.  The new way is to use a piece of mesh material.  You should ask your surgeon about this.  This was five years ago, so far so good.  On occasion when I have a digestive problem I get a little awareness of the wound area, but I'm able to forget about it.  Word to the wise: after getting the surgery, and for the rest of your days, it is in your interest to avoid constipation (I wish someone had warned me of this).

Best of luck.

There have been a lot of negative issues with mesh. I had 2 hernias repaired while in the military. The first went well but the 2nd not so good. MAJOR hack job. They are taking care of me tho.

Bangkok Christian Hospital worked for a friend who was on his 3rd umbilical hernia op w/mesh. There were complications due to his being overweight which caused blood loss and his surgery took about 3 hours. With recovery time in the hospital cost about $8k about 10 years ago.

I had inguinal surgery about 10 years ago at Bumrungrad Hospital in Bangkok  and have had no problems. They used a mesh. During that time I had regular government insurance but also I had private insurance so I had a choice of where to go. I was not so comfortable when visiting my local hospital near my home. I plan to go back for some other procedures and without my Thai insurance and would have to use CC. Personally feel more comfortable using the bigger more famous places. 
It was my 1st surgery in my gut so I was nervous about it . Bumrungrad had all my health records from years back so I went there. Even if it was out of pocket I probably would have chosen them