and so the back track begin<

zzzzz

nobody really expected it to last forever<<<<<

The walk-backs have begun for the unrestricted cannabis swell in Thailand. In a new edict coming into effect today, the Ministry of Public Health has tightened the rules on who can grow and sell cannabis, and where. The new edict, already published in the Royal Gazette making it official, now supersedes the original announcement legalising and decriminalising cannabis on June 16.

When cannabis was decriminalised, it was done without any regulation or structure, aside from website signup to license over a million people to grow, distribute and sell, causing prices to plummet. Over time, small rules were put into place to bar it from government property and officials, and prevent children and pregnant women from using it.

The new edict reinforces some of those regulations, making it illegal to sell any form of cannabis to pregnant or breastfeeding women, people under 20 years old, and students. But it also limits where it can be sold and smoked.

According to Thai PBS World, smoking cannabis at any business location is now strictly forbidden as is advertising the plant in any form for commercial use.

Cannabis can not be sold in any business to be consumed in that business. The only exception is for medical usage, and that must be sold and administered by a medical practitioner, certified rural medic, or traditional medical practitioner. The Bhumjaithai Party that pushed so hard for the legalisation of the herb has since backtracked on their support and claimed that they only ever intended legal cannabis to be used for medicinal purposes.

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/cannabis_news/cannabis-flower-bud-now-a-controlled-substance-with-restrictions

• Haha 1

Did anyone expect anything else? From beginning there was clear restrictions formed, even some clear states something else in hope of no restrictions at all! Just hope nobody invested their whole fortune in to this fairytale even with pink glasses on?

2 hours ago, bernard75 said:

I dont get it, what has changed?

So far it looks like dispensaries might need to have somebody there that has been on a "Training" course, and that online sales and advertising are gone.

However as this was passed as a way to show that the current government was serious about not promoting recreational use (whilst the rest of the World is slowly but surely opening up to precisely that) in reality nothing is going to change or be enforced, Thai style.

You expect to see absolutely nothing change and more dispensaries to open on a daily basis in tourist areas.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

I wouldn't describe it as "back-tracking". Back-tracking would be to put Cannabis back on the Narcotics List, reincarcerating those already released from prison for cannabis convictions and arresting the million or so Thais engaged in the production and distribution (and use) of cannabis. None of these will be happening unless there is some sort of coup, and the new interim government thinks Cannabis is an issue which needs to be addressed immediately.

Restrictions were added on 16 June after the 9 June "freeing up of cannabis".

It was planned to have a Cannabis Bill passed in Parliament by now, which would provide to additional restrioctions immediately and a Cannabis Board overseeing the issue going forward.

Thursday's additional restrictions are simply meant to blunt opposition political parties' posturing, and to show that the MoPH is "controlling" cannabis sufficiently.

The exact ramifications of the new restrictions remains to be digested, with online marketing and sales possibly being impacted, but I'm not sensing some seismic shift in policy or enforcement.

Some online vendors already require biometric proof of age, although I can't say I'm eager to provide a copy of my passport. Thai DL maybe.

Edited by bamnutsak

2 hours ago, JudoChop said:

So a weed cafe is pretty much now screwed as I read it.

Yes, this seems to be the case as a few lounge type dispensaries have made announcements today that this is the last they can allow in-shop usage.

Example...

wwwlounge.jpg

• Like 1