Reasonably priced eye glasses/lenses, crazy pricing or just me?

jay36

2 years back I got from KC optical and I thought it was crazy expensive but I was stupid and desperate and just got it, close to 10k baht from and 7k lenses, ridiculous, didnt feel right, my weakness still annoys me. Went to Charoen Optical but they didnt even have an eye test machine.

After snapping my frame now same place again now wants min 5k for just the lenses. I see a cheaper one on the brochure for 3.5 but they basically trying to hide it and say no, cant have, it bad, <deleted>. Get serious rip-offs vibes from that place or are these prices normal?

According to my Thai colleague a decent reasonable price for lenses is actually around 2-3k baht not 5k. Is this correct?

Where can I can go in Chiang Mai that actually has a proper eye test and English and reasonable prices or any is there another way method to save money on this, maybe an online service?

I also have my old expensive pair that are just snapped clean in the middle bridge, they won fix it for me. They prob can but rather want more money from replacement instead.

Any way I can simply get these fixed somewhere, Seems it should be easy to get the metal frame joined or glued somehow with such a clean break? (yeah im cheap i dont care, if it works it works).

Also any type of lenses i should make sure I get at a minimum quality level, something mentioned about coating for computer work to make it easier, I sit at pc all day.. Basically dont want to get the cheapest rubbish but the middle ground value for money, 2-3k if possible.

Any advice? Thanks friends.

Try mending the frames yourself. Super glue and bicarbonate of soda makes a strong bond for most repairs. I've just bought two pair of glasses. One for reading. One for long range, from a high street chain optical shop. The reading are so,so. The long range are as much use as a one legged man in a backside kicking contest. Ah well.????

Edited by Gandtee

36 minutes ago, howlee101 said:

Suggest Owndays located at Central Festival.  My pair cost ~3500 baht.  Of course the frames will be a factor in the total cost.

Reasonable price and fast service about an hour but they dont have trained optometrists so always best to see a real doctor first to get your prescription...

5 hours ago, norfolkandchance said:

Google Zenni Optical. Reliable and cheap.

https://www.zennioptical.com/

I've been using them many years. Solid frames and lenses. Generic photochromatic lenses as well as Transitions but usually the prior generation. Sunglasses are very solid with choices in polarized lenses. Prices are reasonable enough to replace annually. They did not deliver in Thailand at one point but do now. I ordered two pair four months ago with no issues.

• Thumbs Up 2

I buy my glasses online. As long as they are standard prescription, easy, cheap and good. I use Eyebuydirect. About 1500 baht for normal distance, reading or sunglasses. I tend to visit the US often and just carry them back. As good as the stuff you pay 10,000 baht for in Thailand. There is a limit to how much smoke I am willing to inhale, so to speak. 

If the Red Cross Winter Fair held at City Hall goes ahead in December, they will have a mobile optician.

They have an eye testing machine (Autorefractor) and it takes about an hour before your glasses are ready.

Cost is around 300THB.

Have seen similar set-up around various places in Thailand especially the large temple fairs. 

• Love It 1

There used to be government subsidized optical shops, which is where I got my glasses about six or seven years ago. They gave an eye test and everything and the total cost for the frames and plastic lenses with UV filter was 800 baht.

Ironically, this has been the best pair of glasses I have ever owned. All of the frames I bought at optical shops ended up breaking or the lenses ended up scratched. I've had no problems with this pair. They're still as good as new.

I don't know if the shops still still exist.  They were attached to stationary shops that provdied discount supplies for teachers. I got mine in Bangkok but I believe the government stores were nationwide. It would be worth checking out.

On 11/14/2022 at 11:27 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems you want it all cheap and then you complain when it breaks...

I paid for my titanium frame about 20k - about 15 years ago. It's still perfect like when I bought it.

Hehe I didnt complain that it broke, just complaining about unreasonable high prices that make me feel im being taken advantage of. I break stuff all the time, part of my reality that ill break it eventually, and it was the expensive ones that broke so may as well get cheap ones if im breaking them anyways. They usally not breaking due to quality, things dont last that long around me, its breaks through stupidity so pointless to get the good stuff.

On 11/15/2022 at 8:24 AM, jaywalker2 said:

There used to be government subsidized optical shops, which is where I got my glasses about six or seven years ago. They gave an eye test and everything and the total cost for the frames and plastic lenses with UV filter was 800 baht.

Ironically, this has been the best pair of glasses I have ever owned. All of the frames I bought at optical shops ended up breaking or the lenses ended up scratched. I've had no problems with this pair. They're still as good as new.

I don't know if the shops still still exist.  They were attached to stationary shops that provdied discount supplies for teachers. I got mine in Bangkok but I believe the government stores were nationwide. It would be worth checking out.

Wow that sounds amazing, imaging that kind of pricing. Ill have a look for this thanks

2 minutes ago, jay36 said:

Wow that sounds amazing, imaging that kind of pricing. Ill have a look for this thanks

My girlfriend contacted the one we went to before and she said it's still in business in Lat Prao between sois 61 and 63. So the government shops haven't closed just the one she used to use. Come to think of it, I might go and have a new pair made.

Wow--I am surprised no one mentioned (unless i missed it) Vision Center (just google and you will get directions.

There were overwhelming recommended to me many years ago when I first moved to CM from bkk--they are, as i was told, excellent.  They have all the same equipment as my optometrist used in the US--not that goofy, usually inaccurate machine, u stare into, by some shops in the malls.  

Additionally, the eye exam is free, of course, with an eye glass purchase--they keep ur records for future use, and have excellent selection of frames--got several members of my family very nice frames, lens, eyeglass case, (they adjust the frame to ur face), out the door for less than 4000 baht,

Run by a friendly Thai husband and wife, who speak English, and a helpful, friendly staff--they work right on site, and if they have lens in stock, our glasses were ready to go within an hour and everyone very pleased with the outcome.

I have returned there many times as have friends--the last visit just a month or so ago, the older husband owner, jokingly (i think) said to stop recommending people to them, as he wants to retire and pursue his love of photography--I sure hope they do not close--it is a great shop.

• Love It 2

Hi Jay,

I buy new DKNY frames on Ebay about GBP30 and get very high prescription high quality 'Hoya' (Japan) lenses fitted for about THB 1,800. Top quality glasses for a low price.

Re. an eye test, why not try Bangkok Hospital or similar. An exhaustive eye examination is a good investment IMO

Good luck.

1 hour ago, SammyJ said:

Wow--I am surprised no one mentioned (unless i missed it) Vision Center (just google and you will get directions.

There were overwhelming recommended to me many years ago when I first moved to CM from bkk--they are, as i was told, excellent.  They have all the same equipment as my optometrist used in the US--not that goofy, usually inaccurate machine, u stare into, by some shops in the malls.  

Additionally, the eye exam is free, of course, with an eye glass purchase--they keep ur records for future use, and have excellent selection of frames--got several members of my family very nice frames, lens, eyeglass case, (they adjust the frame to ur face), out the door for less than 4000 baht,

Run by a friendly Thai husband and wife, who speak English, and a helpful, friendly staff--they work right on site, and if they have lens in stock, our glasses were ready to go within an hour and everyone very pleased with the outcome.

I have returned there many times as have friends--the last visit just a month or so ago, the older husband owner, jokingly (i think) said to stop recommending people to them, as he wants to retire and pursue his love of photography--I sure hope they do not close--it is a great shop.

+1 for Vision Center.

"Wow--I am surprised no one mentioned (unless i missed it) Vision Center (just google and you will get directions.

There were overwhelming recommended to me many years ago when I first moved to CM from bkk--they are, as i was told, excellent."

Same here - in 2018 or '19 it was this forum's most recommended shop for glasses,  and for vision prescriptions which are done by the owner at no charge if one purchases glasses.

I had a prescription from an optometrist at CM Ram but the owner was pretty insistent on wanting to doublecheck by doing it himself (at no charge).

I paid more than I expected then - I think about 3,600 THB.

Would have been cheaper but the most comfortable frames were a name brand.

Note that the shop has no sign in English.

It's at 18/2 Ratvithi Rd, Si Phum Sub-district, Mueang Chiang Mai District, Chiang Mai 50200.

(UN Irish Pub is 24/1 Ratvithi Rd).

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JimmyJ said:

+1 for Vision Center.

"Wow--I am surprised no one mentioned (unless i missed it) Vision Center (just google and you will get directions.

There were overwhelming recommended to me many years ago when I first moved to CM from bkk--they are, as i was told, excellent."

Same here - in 2018 or '19 it was this forum's most recommended shop for glasses,  and for vision prescriptions which are done by the owner at no charge if one purchases glasses.

I had a prescription from an optometrist at CM Ram but the owner was pretty insistent on wanting to doublecheck by doing it himself (at no charge).

I paid more than I expected then - I think about 3,600 THB.

Would have been cheaper but the most comfortable frames were a name brand.

Note that the shop has no sign in English.

It's at 18/2 Ratvithi Rd, Si Phum Sub-district, Mueang Chiang Mai District, Chiang Mai 50200.

(UN Irish Pub is 24/1 Ratvithi Rd).

Not in CM.....

also snapping my frame went into a local Thai optical shop out in the sticks near me, he looked at them, tested my eyes, said the lenses were OK so we looked at new frames, ...  He then went on his machine and trimmed my lenses to fit the new frames... so can be done/repaired 

Earlier this year had my eyes tested at Government Hospital, she said best to down grade to bifocals [have had Varifocals for over 40 years]  total cost with new Frames + lenses + Eye Dr test  1,200 baht.

Hate bifocals will not have them again 

23 hours ago, Crossy said:

Letting everyone else know where would be really handy ???? 

I hesitate because your experience may be different than mine... I have been dealing with them online for years now and have bought many many pairs of glasses... reading, progressives, sunglasses... some I liked... some not so much, but they have always been what I ordered and top quality... goggles4u.com

Talk about crazy pricing.

Wife went to Top Charoen in Lotus Thalang in Northern Phuket.

Wife's sister gave her some nice frames and she wanted prescription lens sunglasses and that Top Charoen shop quoted 8600 baht for the lens fitted. Another shop in the mall quoted 6900 baht.

Came home (Sydney) and same thing at a local shop wants A$140 or 3400 Baht.

What's the deal in Phuket with the super high prices or did they "see my wife coming" speaking Thai with an Aussie accent?

The cost of the lens will be determined by the quality of the plastic used.

Got my prescription updated in Oct. Opted for German made lenses, very thin, very light, no tint but progressive.

6500 THB

Edited by seedy

14 hours ago, Youbloodybeauty said:

Talk about crazy pricing.

Wife went to Top Charoen in Lotus Thalang in Northern Phuket.

Wife's sister gave her some nice frames and she wanted prescription lens sunglasses and that Top Charoen shop quoted 8600 baht for the lens fitted. Another shop in the mall quoted 6900 baht.

Came home (Sydney) and same thing at a local shop wants A$140 or 3400 Baht.

What's the deal in Phuket with the super high prices or did they "see my wife coming" speaking Thai with an Aussie accent?

That’s pretty cheap. I went to a place in Bangkok that wanted 20,000 baht for progressives.

• 4 months later...
On 11/16/2022 at 2:14 PM, jaywalker2 said:

My girlfriend contacted the one we went to before and she said it's still in business in Lat Prao between sois 61 and 63. So the government shops haven't closed just the one she used to use. Come to think of it, I might go and have a new pair made.

Can you paste the name of this in Thai or the search term in Thai how one could find one of these in Chiang Mai and other areas of Thailand?

Edited by zeekgarcia

32 minutes ago, zeekgarcia said:

Can you paste the name of this in Thai or the search term in Thai how one could find one of these in Chiang Mai and other areas of Thailand?

This is the place I went to. You could call and ask I suppose.

image.png.658d6be9cafc7e6d3fb8e3986d4c07fa.png