Reasonably priced eye glasses/lenses, crazy pricing or just me?

jay36

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I buy good quality prescription distance and reading glasses online, in the US for $30-50 with a nice frame. Same for sunglasses. $10 extra for polarized.

buyeyedirect.com

Just say no to nonsensical pricing.

Are they out of business? I ask as their website is for sale - unless I typed incorrectly?

1. Get your prescription from the best eye hospital in your city. Make sure this includes the pupillary distance (PD) as that is often forgotten but is necessary for an order over the internet

2. Order the glasses over the internet with Zenni, using their convenient App

3. Express surprise and delight at the high quality, the speed of delivery and the incredible cheapness of the product, next time you use the Thaivisa forum

9 hours ago, Gaccha said:

1. Get your prescription from the best eye hospital in your city. Make sure this includes the pupillary distance (PD) as that is often forgotten but is necessary for an order over the internet

2. Order the glasses over the internet with Zenni, using their convenient App

3. Express surprise and delight at the high quality, the speed of delivery and the incredible cheapness of the product, next time you use the Thaivisa forum

The problem I had with Zenni is I had to use their frames. It’s cheap junk. I don’t want a cheap low quality frame on my face.

• Confused 1

On 11/19/2022 at 8:20 AM, JimmyJ said:

+1 for Vision Center.

"Wow--I am surprised no one mentioned (unless i missed it) Vision Center (just google and you will get directions.

There were overwhelming recommended to me many years ago when I first moved to CM from bkk--they are, as i was told, excellent."

My glasses ............. progressive ......

Vision Centre 8,000bht

Zenni Optical $50

I now have new glasses from Zenni every year.

Frames last forever, but the coating on the lens start to go after 18 months.

But so cheap at Zenni it's not a problem.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

My glasses ............. progressive ......

Vision Centre 8,000bht

Zenni Optical $50

I now have new glasses from Zenni every year.

Frames last forever, but the coating on the lens start to go after 18 months.

But so cheap at Zenni it's not a problem.

Thanks for that info.  

Where do you go to get an up to date prescription and how much does it cost?

PS;  The coating on my expensive CM bought lenses have only lasted about 18months also and when I asked the shop where I bought them she said "we cannot fix, we have new you can buy"!

Edited by scottiejohn
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Thanks for that info.  

Where do you go to get an up to date prescription and how much does it cost?

PS;  The coating on my expensive CM bought lenses have only lasted about 18months also and when I asked the shop where I bought them she said "we cannot fix, we have new you can buy"!

I got my prescription from Vision Centre! 555

PS. Over 60 and your prescription doesn't change much.

Edited by BritManToo

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I got my prescription from Vision Centre! 555

PS. Over 60 and your prescription doesn't change much.

Was that a prescription you got before you bought glasses with them or as a stand alone prescription?

I tried them recently and refused to give me the script unless I was buying glasses. 

That was from the boss and not one of the girls.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing to realise is that there's pretty much a monopoly on produces of glasses and frames. Hence the crazy prices in shops are possible.

All the different brands of designers frames pretty much build by a single company. Some more background info here: https://www.latimes.com/business/lazarus/la-fi-lazarus-why-are-eyeglasses-so-expensive-20190122-story.html

Buying online you will be able to find much more reasonable prices. I bought my last set of glasses (with frame) online for around 1.000 THB. With such cheap glasses, it can actually be a good idea to buy multiple sets.

Also, there's some research done that using slightly less strong glasses than the current requirements of your eyes, might help recover vision (rinse and repeat over a long period of time). With cheap glasses this approach is more reasonable to try.

• Thanks 1

I used Top Charon last October for prescription sun glasses for 3,600 and have been pleased with them.  My step son sat on them and broke the hinge off.  When back in Chiangmai in February, they were nice enough to put them in a new frame at no cost. I needed regular glasses and reading glasses but Top Charon wanted around $400 for those.  My Medicare PPO insurance gave me a $500 credit for eye glasses (and dental and hearing aids) and I used it at Costco here for regular and reading glasses for $230.  If I haven’t used the remaining credit by December, I’ll buy another pair of sunglasses