Thai Leaving UK with western passport expired

not sure if anyone can help here, but grateful for any replies. I have a Thai male acquaintance, who is living in UK, he was married to a Swedish woman before and has entered Uk with Swedish passport. His swedish passport expires on 24th of January and he wants to go back to Thailand to renew his Swedish passport, asked him why he doesn't go to do it in Sweden, but he said long wait and also think he may have issues there with ex family. His question is, would he have a problem if left UK with Swedish passport expired as he doesnt have a visa for UK in Thai passport?

If he is in UK on an expired Swedish passport, one might think he is already on overstay in the UK as visas and extensions almost never given beyond passport validity. If that is not the case, he shouldn´t have any problem as he can show the expired passport with visa together with his Thai passport. I might be wrong, but will soon be corrected in that case ???? 

I doubt Immigration/airline  would allow him to go to Thailand without a passport covering his trip. Could be an expensive mistake.

Sweden I believe is part of Schengen so he'd also have to prove he's only been in the UK for 90 days in the last 180 ?

As the other person said - he needs to contact the Swedish Embassy for a solution.

On 11/19/2022 at 9:07 PM, Pmbkk said:

1 - I doubt Immigration/airline  would allow him to go to Thailand without a passport covering his trip. Could be an expensive mistake.

2 -Sweden I believe is part of Schengen so he'd also have to prove he's only been in the UK for 90 days in the last 180 ?

1 - There are no Immigration embarcation checks leaving the UK, so the fact he's leaving using a different passport than the one he arrived probably wouldn't be picked when he leaves, though his Swedish Passport must be valid for the duration of his time in the UK.
The carrier would be more interested in ensuring that he has a valid passport to allow entry into Thailand, his Thai passport should be sufficient for that.

2 - Yes, Sweden is a Schengen Member State, the UK is neither in the Schengen Area or the EU, and neither is the OP's friend travelling to Sweden, so I'm not sure why his time in the UK is really relevant.

He could of course apply to renew his Swedish Passport in the UK, though it's not easy to get an appointment.  https://www.swedenabroad.se/en/about-abroad-for-swedish-citizens/united-kingdom/service-to-swedish-citizens/passport-abroad/#

• Like 1