Re-Marry in Thailand?

Madgee

Hi guys, hoping for some factual info for this!
I've got a UK friend who wants to re-marry his Thai ex-wife (Why I don't know but somehow, I think it's got to do with her money). She's in agreement with the idea but she's presently dealing with a family situation 500km away so he wants to be prepared for when she returns.

Anyways, he thinks he can go back to the Amphur he got married and divorced in with their divorce certificates and re-marry?

Somehow, I don't think it's going to be that easy. I reckon, he's got to re-do the whole marriage procedure from scratch.

Your knowledge would be appreciated.  

7 minutes ago, Madgee said:

with their divorce certificates and re-marry?

Plus a new Freedom to Marry from his Embassy in Bangkok.

Passport translation + stamp by Thai MFA etc.

Good to know -

Section 1453 of the Marriage Law of Thailand specifies how long a female has to wait to remarry after getting divorced in Thailand. According to section 1453, a female whose marriage got terminated or her spouse died has to wait for 310 days before getting married again.

However, practically, if such a female would like to marry before the 310 days period, the medical certificate issued by the Thai government hospital should be presented to the registrar to confirm that she is not pregnant.

Edited by DrJoy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/15/2022 at 6:34 PM, DrJoy said:

Plus a new Freedom to Marry from his Embassy in Bangkok.

Passport translation + stamp by Thai MFA etc.

Good to know -

Section 1453 of the Marriage Law of Thailand specifies how long a female has to wait to remarry after getting divorced in Thailand. According to section 1453, a female whose marriage got terminated or her spouse died has to wait for 310 days before getting married again.

However, practically, if such a female would like to marry before the 310 days period, the medical certificate issued by the Thai government hospital should be presented to the registrar to confirm that she is not pregnant.

AFAIK, that waiting period does NOT apply if the same man and woman want to get remarried after getting divorced here.

Rather, it applies if one or the other, after getting divorced in Thailand, want to marry someone else.