The 800k Baht Requirement For Retirement Visa Extension

Does immigration require proof that the funds making up the 800k baht came from abroad? And examine the credit entries in the bank book for indication of this?

For example if I build up the funds by drawing from my overseas bank at atm s in thailand and depositing that cash in my thai bank will these credits/funds be discounted or even questioned when I make the application for visa extension?

I ask because doing it this way will enable me to replenish as necessary without the nuisance of posting SWIFT instructions forms by registered post, following up by phone as to receipt and action, not to mention bank fees.

On the other hand I could understand it if immigration needed to be sure that all funds came from outsie and were not generated in thailand through unauthorized employment.

I'd like to be sure of the position in advance and based on someone's actual experience - and proceed with this practice only to encounter a problem at the time of application.

Do not believe there is any safe answer to your question. What they like to see is wire transfer as they can easily verify that method. They do not like ATM use from most reports. But each officer will have his priorities.

Have you taken the time to figure out the costs? The wire transfer will obtain the TT rate of exchange (best) if you send foreign currency for conversion here in Thailand so if you make transfers in large amounts the high per transfer fee will likely be more than offset by the better exchange rate received.

Do not believe there is any safe answer to your question. What they like to see is wire transfer as they can easily verify that method. They do not like ATM use from most reports. But each officer will have his priorities.

Have you taken the time to figure out the costs? The wire transfer will obtain the TT rate of exchange (best) if you send foreign currency for conversion here in Thailand so if you make transfers in large amounts the high per transfer fee will likely be more than offset by the better exchange rate received.

I didn't expect the significant fx difference you suggest between the rates - and my bank has no further charges for overseas atm use. In fact in a recent thread on onshore/offshore fx etc another poster who has the same bank actually suggested using atm s to avoid the transfer charge.

But since the more important issue is the visa, on balance I'd better do the wire transfer.

misc. notes:

- I have an account in the U.S. with a Repetitive Wire Transfer set up. I can call them and basically give the PIN and the amount and hang up. Takes 40 seconds on average. They charge US$27.

- Kbank gives me the posted TT rate minus 500 baht fee.

- US$20,000 or greater requires that I go to my home branch and sign something before the amount is credited to my account.

- No matter the amount, I must go back in 2 days to pick up the Wire Transfer Details report which Immigration likes to see (because it shows the originating bank and account name).

- Bangkok Bank is the only Thai bank that seems to offer inward wire transfers from their online banking. I am not a customer but it seems an attractive feature. I have heard that they only offer online banking to those with work permits, not retirement visas, but I don't know if it's true.

- Kbank online is great. I can pay my rent, my True ADSL bill, transfer money to my sweetie's bank, and top-up my 1-2-Call card. But no inward transfers.

misc. notes:

- I have an account in the U.S. with a Repetitive Wire Transfer set up. I can call them and basically give the PIN and the amount and hang up. Takes 40 seconds on average. They charge US$27.

- Kbank gives me the posted TT rate minus 500 baht fee.

- US$20,000 or greater requires that I go to my home branch and sign something before the amount is credited to my account.

- No matter the amount, I must go back in 2 days to pick up the Wire Transfer Details report which Immigration likes to see (because it shows the originating bank and account name).

- Bangkok Bank is the only Thai bank that seems to offer inward wire transfers from their online banking. I am not a customer but it seems an attractive feature. I have heard that they only offer online banking to those with work permits, not retirement visas, but I don't know if it's true.

- Kbank online is great. I can pay my rent, my True ADSL bill, transfer money to my sweetie's bank, and top-up my 1-2-Call card. But no inward transfers.

You won't, or shouldn't, be surprized to know that my english bank offers no such service. I have to wait a week for my posted form to get to them (paying a hefty fee for the thai registered service); several days of checking (more if the weekend) and sometimes after contradictory statements by different members of staff, as to whether or not my form has arrived. And then up to 5 days before the money arrives.

Kbank online seems to be better than Siam Commercial - latter doesn't offer transfers to other thai bank; need to go to atm.

Not sure what you mean by the 'inward transfer' service.

Five years ago when I went from tourist visa to non-imm-O to retirement extension at the main BKK Immigration office, I was required to go back to my bank and obtain documentation of from where my funds came from and when. That was the first time for the retirement extension and Chiang Mai Immigration doesn't see interested in that proof although my bank book certainly has the code for the wire transfer, but from where, I don't know.