Best place to buy swimming pool tiles

reddo1973

Hi guys,

Just wanted to ask where the best place is to buy swimming pool tiles. I am looking at 6x6 grey and I have been looking at this compay. Lovely tiles, grey modern and look like they will age well on the style side.

https://hinsaengnakorn.co.th/dt_gallery/silver-grey-pool-tiles/

These come in at 1100 baht per square meter.

Wanted to know if anyone is using any others sellers. Had a look at Cotto too.

Any recommendations would be great.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Everywhere in Thailand there is a wonderful offer of tiles of any size and color, whether it is in large stores or at the village hardware shop.  And for the prices that are almost 10 x cheaper than the ones advertised specially for a swimming pool. 

I bought more than 15  years ago the usual "kitchen" tiles, installed by village brick-layers (chaang pun), till now haven't noticed any deterioration. That in contrast to pools seeing many around they had to re-tile their special for pools fashie mosaic tiles within 5 - 7 years.   

Stay away from kitchen tiles. Contrary to backyard expert opinions, kitchen tiles become very dangerous when they break and end up having edges sharp as razor blades. We have renovated dozens of pools that originally had kitchen tiles. 80% of the time the main complaint was getting cuts. One little girl need 9 stiches. 

Better still check out PebbleCrete (Quartz crystal based). Best and hardest surface on the market. 100% natural product and gets better with age. No more regrouts. Low maintenance and 5 yr product warranty. PM me for details.

This is a pool tile.

pool  tile glaze.jpg

2 hours ago, Bagwain said:

One little girl need 9 stiches. 

Wasn't it 11 stiches [sic] when we last time read about that?

Will the breakage edge of the special tile (in a rare case if it breaks) be not sharp enough to cut a girl?

Do we see breakages of tiles in our kitchens and bathrooms where sometimes heavy things are thrown (sometimes by wives on us)? And do we fall on the breakages and getting cut?

(but I do not sell the "kitchen" tiles, nor any other... ????)

• Haha 1

On the second thought I have to add something more to the ridiculous remark about a girl with 9 stitches, reasons of demonizing "kitchen" tiles for swimming pools:  

What's the danger for the 70 million population who live almost all of them in houses furnished by the cheapest "kitchen' tiles?   

And that not only in the bathrooms and kitchens where the wives throw heavy casseroles on the husbands but also in other rooms where the heavy teak furniture is standing on the miserable tiles for ages, where the people with their overweight body are daily trampling across?

So, do we get such circumstances and heavy trampling in a water? Why not to find other plausible reasons for promoting tiles costing 1,000 Baht/sqm instead of 120 Baht?

20 hours ago, Saanim said:

On the second thought I have to add something more to the ridiculous remark about a girl with 9 stitches, reasons of demonizing "kitchen" tiles for swimming pools:  

What's the danger for the 70 million population who live almost all of them in houses furnished by the cheapest "kitchen' tiles?   

And that not only in the bathrooms and kitchens where the wives throw heavy casseroles on the husbands but also in other rooms where the heavy teak furniture is standing on the miserable tiles for ages, where the people with their overweight body are daily trampling across?

So, do we get such circumstances and heavy trampling in a water? Why not to find other plausible reasons for promoting tiles costing 1,000 Baht/sqm instead of 120 Baht?

Drawing comparisons between living areas & swimming pools just show your absolute ignorance of the mater! You ignored the fact that 80% of the pools that we renovated had broken kitchen tiles and the customers complained about the dangers & cuts received. Are you calling them liers?

2 hours ago, Bagwain said:

Drawing comparisons between living areas & swimming pools just show your absolute ignorance of the mater! You ignored the fact that 80% of the pools that we renovated had broken kitchen tiles and the customers complained about the dangers & cuts received. Are you calling them liers?

You can surely provide a plausible link that "80% of the pools had broken kitchen tiles" and that "the customers complained about the dangers & cuts received"?

Or you might explain why the kitchen tiles break so easily in the pool water where no impacting objects or heavy loads are attacking the tiles, unlike in the non-pool areas the 70 M of Thai population daily trample across?

I agree - as I mentioned before - that many pools are being re-tiled after not so many years in operation.  And I know about many made by professional companies, not so cheap.  (Some of them even in a guarantee, a lot of discussions about the repair costs.) However, that's not because it was made by "kitchen tiles" but by any tiles. And that mainly when they were made by special tiles for pools, mainly the small mosaic tiles, where any lousy workmanship - or not correct bonding material - was in fault. 

Small tiles are prone to get loosen - however, not really getting broken. Any small defect or bubble inside the bonding mortar will cause water penetration that will later get increased more farther, especially with the water overly chlorinated and overly maintained by pH Minus.  This fact does not matter so much at larger tiles - whether of kitchen or any other ones - the large bonding area of the tile will further keep the tile in place.  That's my case where I see few tiles where the gaps were not so precisely grouted, but that was so already 15 years ago and it is still the same. No way that the 40cm tile would get loosen - or broken - how much I would ever trample over it.  Unless I brought the village elephant to take a swim and walk over the tiles. 

In fact, the larger tiles are only the "kitchen tiles" (my new pool in my next life will be made by kitchen tiles 60x60cm from GH, tiled without a gap)  and the smaller tiles are only the pool tiles, aren't they?

The precise grouting of the tiles needs quite a long time, especially at the small tiles, comparing with the larger ones. How many km of the gaps are to be properly filled in? And this works comes at the end of the contractor's job when the workers are hurrying to get the last portion of their lump sum payment (mau).  So, the quality of the grouting is not always how it should be. And that's what has caused the tile problems in most cases for re-tiling.

1 hour ago, Saanim said:

You can surely provide a plausible link that "80% of the pools had broken kitchen tiles" and that "the customers complained about the dangers & cuts received"?

Or you might explain why the kitchen tiles break so easily in the pool water where no impacting objects or heavy loads are attacking the tiles, unlike in the non-pool areas the 70 M of Thai population daily trample across?

I agree - as I mentioned before - that many pools are being re-tiled after not so many years in operation.  And I know about many made by professional companies, not so cheap.  (Some of them even in a guarantee, a lot of discussions about the repair costs.) However, that's not because it was made by "kitchen tiles" but by any tiles. And that mainly when they were made by special tiles for pools, mainly the small mosaic tiles, where any lousy workmanship - or not correct bonding material - was in fault. 

Small tiles are prone to get loosen - however, not really getting broken. Any small defect or bubble inside the bonding mortar will cause water penetration that will later get increased more farther, especially with the water overly chlorinated and overly maintained by pH Minus.  This fact does not matter so much at larger tiles - whether of kitchen or any other ones - the large bonding area of the tile will further keep the tile in place.  That's my case where I see few tiles where the gaps were not so precisely grouted, but that was so already 15 years ago and it is still the same. No way that the 40cm tile would get loosen - or broken - how much I would ever trample over it.  Unless I brought the village elephant to take a swim and walk over the tiles. 

In fact, the larger tiles are only the "kitchen tiles" (my new pool in my next life will be made by kitchen tiles 60x60cm from GH, tiled without a gap)  and the smaller tiles are only the pool tiles, aren't they?

The precise grouting of the tiles needs quite a long time, especially at the small tiles, comparing with the larger ones. How many km of the gaps are to be properly filled in? And this works comes at the end of the contractor's job when the workers are hurrying to get the last portion of their lump sum payment (mau).  So, the quality of the grouting is not always how it should be. And that's what has caused the tile problems in most cases for re-tiling.

Why are you on this forum thread? ???? All you rant about is your opinions which are like A/h@les. Many of them & based on what, 2 pools?. Fortunately there are enough smart & wise  enough here to see through the absolute ???? you are spewing out. ????????