Is a Poipet border run as bad as they say?

I will be very near to Aranyaprathet around the time of my second 45 days visa exempt after arriving from UK on my first visa exempt and it would be very convenient to do a border hop at this same time.

This would not be normally my first choice but given the situation of my location it would be useful to gather some data in understanding If the Poipet border run is as bad as they say?

If it is a bad border hop - what is the most probable downside?

a) Refusal of the second Visa exempt (Also then what are the options when stuck in no mans land)

b) Payment of Tea money (Cambodian side) OR stay one night in Cambodia.

c) Payment of Tea money (Cambodian side) AND stay one night in Cambodia.

d) Only simple manageable scams that just needed watching out for.

I am assuming that if the Poipet border is really as bad as they say then because of a reasonable volume of people doing a run at this border there will be plenty of instances that demonstrate the norm.

best avoided at opening time ..... I took 3 hours in a snaking queue back in August .... but otherwise no issues  .....except ... hot , broken fan .... and a number of Khmers who did't get the principle of queueing . One in particular,  a man in his 40's well dressed and seemingly wealthy ... who should have know better ...... and now does  ! .... 55

10 minutes ago, Chetzee said:

best avoided at opening time ..... I took 3 hours in a snaking queue back in August .... but otherwise no issues  .....except ... hot , broken fan .... and a number of Khmers who did't get the principle of queueing . One in particular,  a man in his 40's well dressed and seemingly wealthy ... who should have know better ...... and now does  ! .... 55

The OP was thinking of the potential issues with immigration rather than queueing so perhaps you could shed some light on that. Why did you do the border bounce? Was it for a visa exempt? If not, your experience is not really relevant.

14 hours ago, Chetzee said:

Did the immigration ask you for proof of onward ticket out of Thailand?