Fireworks this weekend

brewsterbudgen

Bringing my family to the fireworks for the first time, this weekend.

Is it OK to just turn up and watch from the beach or do they have reserved seating?  What time should one get there to get a good space?  When does the display officially start?  Which part of the beach is best positioned?  Can we drink alcohol on the beach while watching the display? Is it the whole event hellishly overcrowded and a nightmare?

Thanks!

The program is in the picture - there seem to be different versions with slightly different times. But from my experience don't insist on the exact times...

Best place in my opinion is in the area of the Central Festival Mall. I guess the biggest nightmare are the traffic jams after the fireworks. I can walk home but I always see countless cars in traffic jams. In the meantime I don't go there anymore. Would be just a short walk for me. I have seen it too many times already. 

1669103391805.jpg

Edited by Mickeymaus
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Bringing my family to the fireworks for the first time, this weekend.

You want to drive by car up from Rayong and back after the event?

That would be the main concern for me.

Don't even think of getting close to the beach with the car.

At latest down from 3rd road it will be a terrible mess, gridlock on 2nd rd and Soi Buakhao as beach rd closed (my experience/observations are from music festivals)

Best park far from the beach and try to find some transport.

Be there right before sundown (like 5 PM).

You can just walk and show up, no reserved seating as far as I know.

Bet there will be deckchairs/loungers on the beach.

But whether you will catch some?

If you want to spend big you could look for reserved rooftop views from major hotels (buffets etc.).

Might be fully booked already?

Edited by KhunBENQ

7 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

You want to drive by car up from Rayong and back after the event?

That would be the main concern for me.

Don't even think of getting close to the beach with the car.

At latest down from 3rd road it will be a terrible mess, gridlock on 2nd rd and Soi Buakhao as beach rd closed (my experience/observations are from music festivals)

Best park far from the beach and try to find some transport.

Be there right before sundown (like 5 PM).

You can just walk and show up, no reserved seating as far as I know.

Bet there will be deckchairs/loungers on the beach.

But whether you will catch some?

If you want to spend big you could look for reserved rooftop views from major hotels (buffets etc.).

Might be fully booked already?

Cheers. No, I've booked us into a hotel on soi 15 for the night, so we won't have the car.  We'll take our chances on the beach but get there early.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

No, I've booked us into a hotel on soi 15

Ok, that's wise.

You can walk down and try luck with some places with elevated terrace or the like.

Hotel rooftop stuff is somewhat pricey.

Starts at 900 or so.

Didn't care to look at the Hilton :biggrin:

Otherwise join the crowd on the beach.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

"Is it the whole event hellishly overcrowded and a nightmare"

Yes, it sure will be. I think will watch it from my condo, better view being higher up and don't have the masses of people everywhere.

Edited by bbi1

view from phra tamnak mountain is just as good as any of the highrise building on beach road, 

but it'll be at a slight angle and behind of the intended display, but firework is firework 

the main lookout on Pattaya sign and sor tor ror peak will crowded, but up the big buddha side there are some openings in the trees you can have a good look, plus along the jogging track but it does get secluded 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, digbeth said:

view from phra tamnak mountain is just as good as any of the highrise building on beach road, 

but it'll be at a slight angle and behind of the intended display, but firework is firework 

the main lookout on Pattaya sign and sor tor ror peak will crowded, but up the big buddha side there are some openings in the trees you can have a good look, plus along the jogging track but it does get secluded 

I'd still rather watch it from the confort of my condo, than to travel to Phratamnak Hill and try to find a spot to watch it. I'm sure they'll quite a few people there too.

Yes, it is OK to just turn up and use the beach.

They have had reserved VIP seating set up in the past.... If I recall correctly people broke through and ignored the security. It was only in the Central area...usually crowded all the way to the South end... I chose to use he north area around soi 6. Some chair vendors try to hold parts of the beach... but these days it is pretty big with a lot of room. Large mats works well. I think get there about 7pm should be as late as you go.... previously fireworks start at 8pm, with a lot of loud blather and music beforehand. 

I have taken a small box of chilled beer before and the 7-11s do  roaring trade... officially should not be drinking on the beach but it is beyond their capacity to police it.

15 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Is it the whole event hellishly overcrowded and a nightmare?

I am afraid it is, but a good fun atmosphere. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

I went to the last one which I'm sure was just after Covid had started as most foreign tourists had left. I went up to the little viewpoint area above Bali Hai pier in the afternoon with the idea of photographing it from there but it was already full with tripods already set up and Thai's asleep on folding camp beds, looked like they'd been there overnight. ????. Carried on into Central and thought I was clever getting an early parking space on the upper floor - rookie error, I eventually got out and home at 1am.  I've never seen an event as busy as that in my time here, and again that was without the tourist masses.

Logistical hassles aside I think it's a fantastic event if you haven't seen it before with a great atmosphere both in the Beach Road bars and restaurants and on mats on the beach. Will be interested to read how busy this one turns out to be and if they can cope any better with the numbers given the state of some of the ongoing central roadworks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kinyara said:

I went to the last one which I'm sure was just after Covid had started as most foreign tourists had left.

Was that the one that was later in the season, and a storm came through and flooded many parts? The 3rd set was postponed but did actually occur  later.... I was already back at my hotel after an hour in a bar and long walk. 

Edited by jacko45k
typo

11 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Was that the one that was later in the season, and a storm came through and flooded many parts? The 3rd set was postponed but did actually occur  later.... I was already back at my hotel after an hour in a bar and long walk. 

Not the night I was there because I was forced to stay until the end two sets only, unless it was over 2 nights and what you say happened on the other one. I actually tried to leave before it finished but couldn't get out the car park so ended up going back down to have a couple of beers until the traffic and people had cleared out. One of those situations where there's no point getting stressed, you just sit there and accept you really didn't anticipate it was going to be so busy and such a headache getting home.

On 11/22/2022 at 7:51 PM, bbi1 said:

I'd still rather watch it from the confort of my condo, than to travel to Phratamnak Hill and try to find a spot to watch it. I'm sure they'll quite a few people there too.

Yep, was a smart decision to watch it from my condo balcony. A lot more comfy, no crowds, and awesome views. No risk of "chaos if they get a flash flood" lol

On 11/23/2022 at 8:35 AM, kinyara said:

Imagine the chaos if they get a flash flood deluge.

Edited by bbi1