Frenchman arrested in Rawai for illegal possession of whale skeletons

webfact

image.jpeg

By Goongnang Suksawat

Rawai – A French man has been arrested in Rawai for illegal possession of parts of whale skeletons.

The Department of Marine and Coastal Resources (DEMCR) officials told the Phuket Express that they received a tip-off from a person who asked not to be named that a foreigner in Rawai has allegedly illegal possession of whale skeletons.

Officials have continued their investigation in which they have finally arrested Mr. Alain, 52, French national, in Rawai yesterday (November 21st).

Full story: https://thephuketexpress.com/2022/11/22/frenchman-arrested-in-rawai-for-illegal-possession-of-whale-skeletons/

The-Phuket-Express-Logo-Small-300x121.png
-- © Copyright The Phuket Express 2022-11-23

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Thomas KH said:

The mind boggles. How are arresting decisions made or calibrated by this country's authorities? On the one hand, this man is arrested for collecting skeletons of a dead animal. On the other hand, another man is not arrested for brutally beating his girlfriend. 

Yes, it is a conundrum...

Headline

Frenchman arrested in Rawai for illegal possession of whale skeletons.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

A French man has been arrested in Rawai for illegal possession of parts of whale skeletons.

Bit of a difference between Skeletons ( plural ), and the possibility of a couple of fragments of a Jaw bone.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Well, which Somchai sold the stuff to the French gentleman in the first place and what is the ink between the "whale skeleton" and the "elephant tusks" in the OP picture? 

Well, which Somchai sold the stuff to the French gentleman in the first place

Where does it say that he bought them?

Rawai has beaches, I presume that he could have found them washed up.

I used to see whale bones washed up on beaches all the time when I was in the South Atlantic.

and what is the ink between the "whale skeleton" and the "elephant tusks" in the OP picture? 

Ther4e are no elephant tusks in the picture, please see my post 'just' 2 posts above your post.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

Well, which Somchai sold the stuff to the French gentleman in the first place

Where does it say that he bought them?

Rawai has beaches, I presume that he could have found them washed up.

I used to see whale bones washed up on beaches all the time when I was in the South Atlantic.

and what is the ink between the "whale skeleton" and the "elephant tusks" in the OP picture? 

Ther4e are no elephant tusks in the picture, please see my post 'just' 2 posts above your post.

Well, what do I know. Whales are seen in abundance, 24/7, at Rawai; they all fled the South Atlantic, where they usually roam. Pardon my French (pun intended) but to the layman's eye the OP picture published in Thailand can lead to the assumption, that it features tusks rather than boney left overs of whales plying their trade in South Atlantic seas ???? 

It could be that I only see such news on this forum that my bias is influenced... 

However, it would appear that the Department of Marine and Coastal Resources react with an elevated degree of prejudice when a Westerner is involved.... 

...  be it a Wester caught taking a jar of sand from a national park beach or fishing parrot fish - these Marine and Coastal resources react in a manner one could consider outrageously exaggerated. 

Will they simply charge the Frenchman, or will they investigate to find the source ?

Was the property rented ? and are the bones even his ? (or belonged to the rental property). 

The house can’t be owned by the Frenchman... so how can he be the ‘owner’ of the bones cemented / fixed to the ground at the entrance of the home ?  (although the report stats he admitted to owning the bones). 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

Those are mandibles (jaw bones) of a Baleen Whale  and were part of the seizure.

w1200.jpg

In case you are wondering about the size of these bones, below is a picture of a Baleen Whale skeleton, clearly showing these bones.

skeleton-of-right-whale-showing-massive-head-and-baleen-french-national-G1CMNJ.jpg

You are correct sir.

• Thumbs Up 1