BKK Sukhumvit/Asoke: Atmospheric Café for Laptop-Working?

henrik2000

Hello, on this holiday trip to Bkk I have to do more paid laptop work than anticipated. As I don't want to sadly hack away in my accomodation, I'd like to find coffee shops etc. where I could type on my laptop for 1-3 hours max – mainly in morning hours - and have interesting-people-watching plus coffee and juices on the side (my work is semi-dull). I won't do any calls, YouTubing or other noisy things; am decently dressed. My screen is always family-friendly and contains no secrets. My preferences:

• location: not far from junction Sukhumvit/Asoke (few stops on BTS ok)

• power-plug very welcome (laptop has weak battery)

• NO Starbucks, no mainstream tourist hang-out, no dark beer pub

• Thai-frequented and atmospheric place preferred, student café great if Laptop-friendly

• Coffee-house noise levels no problem, but can't stand louder music or TV

• Laptop-sitters welcome and not seen as unwelcome table-blockers

• co-working space perhaps ok, if one-off visits by tourists are ok

• wifi very welcome, don't need very fast wifi

• wouldn't like to sit at wall-mounted counter where behind the screen I only see a wall

After typing, i wish to dispose of the laptop in my accommodation before exploring the city. So it shouldn't be far from Sukhumvit/Asoke. I can't carry the laptop while exploring. Besides BTS, i could use taxis, Grab/Bolt and if need be, a motorcycle taxi.

So where'd you plant yourself? Thanks!

15 minutes ago, henrik2000 said:
  • Thai-frequented and atmospheric place preferred, student café great if Laptop-friendly

• Coffee-house noise levels no problem, but can't stand louder music or TV

These two are pretty much mutually exclusive so you'll have to pick which is more important to you.

• Like 1

Landhaus near Ari. Nice garden plus cats plus fan plus best bakery:).

Best shop at “Natural Garden” coffee shop outside Bkk little bit but worth a visit.

I work there too on my latop at Landhaus, Ari.

Cu maybe

Edited by Tom H
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, SatEng said:

I occasionally take my laptop or have meetings at the Tom n Tom coffee at Sukhumvit 219 next to soi 15.

The upstairs is usually pretty quiet with a few people working on laptops, good power points but a little dark lighting.

I always buy 2-3 coffees plus food there as I don't want to take advantage

I was going to suggest the same. 

• Like 1

there is a true coffee shop in emquartier, maybe that's too much like a starbucks.  they are renovating a portion right now.  but i go in there alot, they also have an outdoor patio which i like.  inside they have a couple long tables that are all folks on their laptops for what appear to be considerable time periods.  i'm there for an hour and they are still there.

o'sheas bar/pub on soi 33/1 is extremely quiet in the morning.  i go  there for breakfast alot.  also an outside patio if you want some people watching.  it is a bit dark inside.  but no music at that time.  at most 3-4 customers in the place at 10am.  but sunday mornings are not good.  they have UFC/MMA type fights on that morning.

another person noted the au bon pain on soi 31.  you could look at these three places in 15 minutes and make your choice.  maybe give them all a try to mix it up.  real easy BTS access (phrom phong).

Edited by buick
  • Like 1

Au bon Pain in the office building lobby Emquarter. Outlets blocked though. True Coffee 3fl Emquartier my favorite as noted. Pastries always in stock as they bake em there, other places they run out. Limited space during renovation. Always looking for more good places too. Usually well revviwed places either no snacks, no seating, too loud, or discouraged from staying long.   

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tom H said:

Landhaus near Ari. Nice garden plus cats plus fan plus best bakery:).

Best shop at “Natural Garden” coffee shop outside Bkk little bit but worth a visit.

Now sentence 1 is really intriguing (even if no militant cats-lover). Not sure how to understand sentence 2.

11 hours ago, henrik2000 said:

Now sentence 1 is really intriguing (even if no militant cats-lover). Not sure how to understand sentence 2.

Hope poster doesn't mean 'Natura Cafe' on the other side of the river.  Not exactly near S/A intersection area.  Lovely place though if out & about exploring: 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Natura+Cafe/@13.6913836,100.4667066,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1sAF1QipMv0eTKCmso5kdrCYgVZJ_FFbp51owArVGOm_if!2e10!3e12!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipMv0eTKCmso5kdrCYgVZJ_FFbp51owArVGOm_if%3Dw114-h86-k-no!7i4080!8i3060!4m12!1m6!3m5!1s0x0:0xe71a36dc6dbb47f6!2sNatura+Cafe!8m2!3d13.6913836!4d100.4667066!3m4!1s0x0:0xe71a36dc6dbb47f6!8m2!3d13.6913836!4d100.4667066

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

What a nasty, negative and pointless thing to ask. And why would it be any of your business anyway?

Now, now!  The saintly righteous among us must have an opportunity to sermonize now and then.

As to cool & quiet coffee shops, Thong Lo has a plethora; start perhaps at the Commons.

Edited by dddave

Hello, in no specific order, here are the locations that have been mentioned. It's just a copy-paste job, perhaps pocketable. I will certainly use it as a reference.

- Tom n Tom coffee at Sukhumvit 219 next to soi 15. The upstairs is usually pretty quiet with a few people working on laptops, good power points but a little dark lighting. I always buy 2-3 coffees plus food there

- Landhaus near Ari. Nice garden plus cats plus fan plus best bakery:).

- Best shop at “Natural Garden” coffee shop outside Bkk little bit but worth a visit.

- Au Bon Pain at the corner of Sukhumvit Soi 31

- true coffee  in emquarter 3rd floor, maybe that's too much like a starbucks.  Pastries always in stock as they bake em there, other places they run out. Limited space during renovation. they are renovating a portion right now.  but i go in there alot, they also have an outdoor patio.  Inside they have a couple long tables that are all folks on their laptops for what appear to be considerable time periods.  i'm there for an hour and they are still there. 

- Au bon Pain in the office building lobby Emquarter. Outlets blocked though

- o'sheas bar/pub on soi 33/1 is extremely quiet in the morning.  i go  there for breakfast alot.  also an outside patio if you want some people watching.  it is a bit dark inside.  but no music at that time.  at most 3-4 customers in the place at 10am.  but sunday mornings are not good.  they have UFC/MMA type fights on that morning

Edited by henrik2000

9 minutes ago, henrik2000 said:

Hello, in no specific order, here are the locations that have been mentioned. It's just a copy-paste job, perhaps pocketable. I will certainly use it as a reference.

- Tom n Tom coffee at Sukhumvit 219 next to soi 15. The upstairs is usually pretty quiet with a few people working on laptops, good power points but a little dark lighting. I always buy 2-3 coffees plus food there

- Landhaus near Ari. Nice garden plus cats plus fan plus best bakery:).

- Best shop at “Natural Garden” coffee shop outside Bkk little bit but worth a visit.

- Au Bon Pain at the corner of Sukhumvit Soi 31

- true coffee  in emquarter 3rd floor, maybe that's too much like a starbucks.  Pastries always in stock as they bake em there, other places they run out. Limited space during renovation. they are renovating a portion right now.  but i go in there alot, they also have an outdoor patio.  Inside they have a couple long tables that are all folks on their laptops for what appear to be considerable time periods.  i'm there for an hour and they are still there. 

- Au bon Pain in the office building lobby Emquarter. Outlets blocked though

- o'sheas bar/pub on soi 33/1 is extremely quiet in the morning.  i go  there for breakfast alot.  also an outside patio if you want some people watching.  it is a bit dark inside.  but no music at that time.  at most 3-4 customers in the place at 10am.  but sunday mornings are not good.  they have UFC/MMA type fights on that morning

Someone mentioned The Commons on Thonglor 17.  I think that is a great suggestion.  A bit of a walk from the BTS but a five minute motorbike.

• Like 1

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I looked at them on Google Maps including the photos and especially Landhaus,  Natura Cafe  and The Commons look great and atmospheric. Of course Landhaus and even more Natura Cafe are far out and i might go there without the laptop and  include them in some kind of excursion. But they would be great for laptopping as well. Thanks again!