Outbound flight required?

I'm currently living full time in Thailand on an O-A visa. I have not applied for a re-entry permit.

I plan to fly out of Thailand for a couple of days, return, and request a 45 day visa exempt entry, after which I plan to apply for a NON-O visa. Is it possible that, upon returning to Thailand, Thai agents at the airport will want me to show that I've booked an outbound flight to another country?

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The airline could ask to see a ticket out of the country within 45 days of arrival.

You can find temporary tickets online for around $14. Search for onward flights.

So it's an airline requirement, not a Thai government requirement?

In other words, if I book a round trip from BKK-to-Cambodia-BKK, the airline might require me to add another leg to the journey? What would be the rationale?

5 minutes ago, eboy said:

In other words, if I book a round trip from BKK-to-Cambodia-BKK, the airline might require me to add another leg to the journey? What would be the rationale?

The airline most certainly want to see onward flight flying that route.

I assume carrier such as AirAsia.

It will be required 100% 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, eboy said:

It's a Thai government requirement, but immigration usually doesn't enforce it, the airlines often do though.

Somehow I doubt that they actually updated the ministerial order requiring a flight out within 30 days to be 45 days instead, so according to the written rules it's probably still required to have a flight out within 30 days, but maybe they apply some common sense...

1 minute ago, eboy said:

I see.

Does the outbound flight have to be with the same airline, or will any airline do?

Any old airline will do. You can book a fully refundable ticket if you know how to find one, or simply rent a ticket for $14 or so. BKK to say, KUL will suffice, doesn't need to be back to your home country.

10 minutes ago, eboy said:

Does this requirement for an outbound ticket apply to people who have a long-term visa and a re-entry permit?

No

The ticket out of the country is not required if you have a valid visa or re-entry permit when entering the country.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:
3 hours ago, eboy said:

Does this requirement for an outbound ticket apply to people who have a long-term visa and a re-entry permit?

No

The ticket out of the country is not required if you have a valid visa or re-entry permit when entering the country.

I've have a one year marriage extension but I am leaving the country for a week and Kalasin refused to give me a 60-day extension to cover my under consideration period as they claimed there were no grounds for it (you advised on another thread they were wrong) . So, as per their suggestion, I just got a 45-day entry via a hop to Savannakhet (1800 baht, not the 1500 I expected, and 100 to be handed my passport back as I left Laos).

I guess it's pot luck if Emirates will question why I'm returning to Thailand with no visa. Had issues out of the USA before, but not UAE. Previous one-year entries in my passport might help I suppose.

• 1 year later...

I'd like an update on this issue. If one enters the country as a visa-exempt tourist, is an outbound flight within the next 30 days still a requirement?

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, eboy said:

I'd like an update on this issue. If one enters the country as a visa-exempt tourist, is an outbound flight within the next 30 days still a requirement?

Yes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eboy said:

Most likely Yes, by the airline at departure.

There are options for this. 

Two are use companies such as "onwardticket.com" or buy a throw away cheapest onward flight.

These two options can be done in couple of minutes at check in.

If airline insist on onward flight just step away from counter and book a flight. 

Screenshot will of booking will suffice. 

• Like 1

Using Skyscanner, which is an excellent website and app, I found a flight from BKK to PNH (Phnom Penh) for $41.35.  I feel this is a reasonable price for a throwaway ticket and I booked it.