Thai medical tourism sector is roaring back from Covid-19 pandemic, analysts say

webfact

image.jpeg

By Veena Thoopkrajae

With Covid-era travel restrictions now relaxed, Thailand is once again underlining its reputation in the medical field by drawing in visitors wanting to benefit from the country’s natural attractions while also taking care of their medical problems. But while visitors are returning, analysts predict the industry will not rebound significantly until 2023 when touristnumbers really pick up.

Moving in the right direction

An analysis report from Krungthai Compass, a research house under Krungthai Bank, said Thailand’s medical tourism sectoris recovering from setbacks caused by the impacts of Covid-19 and especially from the now-cancelled Thailand Pass scheme.

A surge in foreign tourists flooding into Thailand over the past few months has improved footfalls at private hospitals and given a promising outlook to the country’s medical tourism industry.

According to news reports, more than 3.1 million foreign tourists arrived the country in October, a rise of more than43% over September.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-medical-tourism-sector-is-roaring-back-from-covid-19-pandemic-analysts-say/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-11-24

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, bradiston said:

Seems the rise is attributable to Thais seeking COVID treatment.

No, since it refers only to private hospitals.

3 hours ago, bradiston said:

And soon medical tourism will no doubt include ganja lovers from all over the world.

Yawn. You done?

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Not exactly the first place I would suggest for medical tourism

You should consult. Was doing well before COVID and now picking up again. Or maybe they know something you don't.

It's always amusing when posters make that typical, smug "lots better places" claim w/o naming the places.????

34 minutes ago, BigStar said:

No, since it refers only to private hospitals.

Yawn. You done?

Read the full article.

"She cited a report that sees 24 SET-listed private hospital service providers enjoying revenue and profit growth in the first quarter of 2022 when compared to the same period of the previous year.

According to her, the hospitals’ total revenues increased 48.9% year-over-year (YoY) to over 125 billion baht in the first quarter of 2022 and their net profits grew by 173.8% YoY to over 24 billion baht. The growth was mainly attributed torevenues from Thai patients who sought medical treatment for Covid-19 infections."

Last sentence. You done?

And what's wrong with the premise that people might come here as cannabis is legal for medicinal purposes, amongst others?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, bradiston said:

Read the full article.

"She cited a report that sees 24 SET-listed private hospital service providers enjoying revenue and profit growth in the first quarter of 2022 when compared to the same period of the previous year.

According to her, the hospitals’ total revenues increased 48.9% year-over-year (YoY) to over 125 billion baht in the first quarter of 2022 and their net profits grew by 173.8% YoY to over 24 billion baht. The growth was mainly attributed to revenues from Thai patients who sought medical treatment for Covid-19 infections."

Last sentence. You done?

And what's wrong with the premise that people might come here as cannabis is legal for medicinal purposes, amongst others?

Hmmm. Seems Mr Bigstar has exploded.

Edited by bradiston
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Aussieroaming said:

Well the private hospitals do charge like wounded bulls so they make the most of whatever opportunities they do get in regards to treating patients. I'm not sure how their rates compare to the rest of the medical world. Medical treatment seems expensive in all countries.

Prices are equal to private treatment in Germany I found out while being stuck there for 2 yrs. Plus I never felt I'm being milked for all it's worth.

5 hours ago, bradiston said:

Read the full article.

The article's making a point about medical tourism. Thais aren't really considered foreign medical tourists. COVID is a sort of red herring thrown in there for dramatic purposes and allow you to demonstrate your exceptional shrewdness.

Krungthai Compass estimates that of the 8.9 million foreign tourists who have arrived in Thailand in 2022, a relatively high percentage were here to receive medical treatment. 

While it doesn't give numerical breakdowns, but it does offer this projection:

The research center predicted the private hospital business will continue to expand by 19.8% YoY in 2023, which will help boost the country’s medical tourism business as well as total foreign patient revenue which, pre-Covid, accounted for about 30% of the total.

4 hours ago, bradiston said:

Hmmm. Seems Mr Bigstar has exploded.

All happy now? ????

8 hours ago, BigStar said:

You should consult. Was doing well before COVID and now picking up again. Or maybe they know something you don't.

It's always amusing when posters make that typical, smug "lots better places" claim w/o naming the places.????

I had dental implants quoted in Thailand, Colombia and Mexico just for grins.  Colombia was the cheapest by far. Mexico was the most expensive but it was state of the art.

Face lifts and cosmetic surgery Colombia hands down IMO. 

I think Thailand as a medical hot spot is for countries around this area. Surely not for US citizens.

If from the US the plane fare alone would offset any pluses.  Not to mention the jet lag. Mexico and SA are hot spots for US citizens. I could not imagine coming here for any medical treatment.

I had surgery in Colombia for a titanium plate installed and some bone work done and It was cheaper and extremely professional. That was about 7 years ago I think.

Last year I got a complete checkup EKG, blood work , Ultrasound around my heart for good measure.  In Cali at a private hospital.. 235 dollars.

Here in Thailand I have had several little things done. But, that was because I was already here. 

Edited by Gknrd

15 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

Well the private hospitals do charge like wounded bulls so they make the most of whatever opportunities they do get in regards to treating patients. I'm not sure how their rates compare to the rest of the medical world. Medical treatment seems expensive in all countries.

I guess if a medical problem is too expensive in one of the western hospitals then a trip to one of Thailands private hospitals is a fix.

11 hours ago, BigStar said:

The article's making a point about medical tourism. Thais aren't really considered foreign medical tourists. COVID is a sort of red herring thrown in there for dramatic purposes and allow you to demonstrate your exceptional shrewdness.

Krungthai Compass estimates that of the 8.9 million foreign tourists who have arrived in Thailand in 2022, a relatively high percentage were here to receive medical treatment. 

While it doesn't give numerical breakdowns, but it does offer this projection:

The research center predicted the private hospital business will continue to expand by 19.8% YoY in 2023, which will help boost the country’s medical tourism business as well as total foreign patient revenue which, pre-Covid, accounted for about 30% of the total.

All happy now? ????

No, and very condescending too. But I don't have the energy to carry on this discussion. There's enough debatable info in the original article to last at least a week of arguing to and fro. BS baffles brains, as I'm sure you've heard. Let's save ourselves the trouble.