Best offer on VPN provider?

Hummin

I am with NordVPN - last year I paid $59.00 and this year was quoted $106.44 to renew. I sent a terse complaint and they replied "Our costs grew with these upgrades, and that led to the price change." I cancelled the auto-renewal and was going to move away but two weeks later got another email offering me two years for $83.23 (includes 20% UK tax) which I accepted - a week later I got another email to say that they'd given me an extra month.

However, I only ever use it in Thailand to link with UK-based TV channels that are geographically limited and on this visit I have noticed that the BBC seem to know that I am using a VPN although it only causes minor issues. Eurosport (now part of Discovery for live/rerun Superbikes) and Channel 4 (F1 highlights), my main targets, are fine.

Edited by London Lowf
  • Like 1

Obviously price matters, but more so than price is the reliability of the VPN to respond to the cat-&-mousing used by some of the geocached providers.

BBC iPlayer seems recognises as lot of VPN’s as does Amazon Prime...  we then have to switch server - it which seems successful (so far).

Netflix used to recognise a VPN (if trying to access geocached content to watch something not available in my region) - sometimes a VPN works, sometimes it doesn’t. 

I’ve found Express VPN to be decent enough for most of my needs.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

So far so good with Ivacy for all my purposes. 

A really good offer if it continue like this. Better speed than my Express VPN, and when using my phonecsim as hub at best 20mb line and average 8 it really matters. 

Edited by Hummin

18 and 12 Mbps seem a bit slow. Though of course it depends on the server locations.

Can some more people post speed results and their VPN provider? Would be interesting to see which providers have good connections to Thailand.

On 11/25/2022 at 1:27 PM, eisfeld said:

18 and 12 Mbps seem a bit slow. Though of course it depends on the server locations.

Can some more people post speed results and their VPN provider? Would be interesting to see which providers have good connections to Thailand.

He is using the internet from his phone.

I just signed up for the Ivacy 5 year plan for 60 Dollars,

My results for speedtest.net

No VPN: 700/700 (actually I have a 600/600 TOT Line)

Ivacy Singapore: 680/500

Ivacy US: 300/80

Ivacy Germany: 320/70

• Like 1

On 11/26/2022 at 8:48 AM, FriendlyFarang said:

He is using the internet from his phone.

I just signed up for the Ivacy 5 year plan for 60 Dollars,

My results for speedtest.net

No VPN: 700/700 (actually I have a 600/600 TOT Line)

Ivacy Singapore: 680/500

Ivacy US: 300/80

Ivacy Germany: 320/70

Oh yes I totally missed the mobile phone part. Thanks for the pointer and thanks for posting your results!

Excuse my ignorance but how does a vpn work if i want to watch on my smart TV...do i somehow have the vpn on my laptop or does the vpn reside on the TV or??....i want to be able to watch sling TV as if i am in usa.  How do i "install" the vpn, is it simple?

18 minutes ago, pomchop said:

Excuse my ignorance but how does a vpn work if i want to watch on my smart TV...do i somehow have the vpn on my laptop or does the vpn reside on the TV or??....i want to be able to watch sling TV as if i am in usa.  How do i "install" the vpn, is it simple?

You can install a vpn at a router level, then all devices on the router are using the vpn, but its a lot of stuffing around, and you then need to go into router to turn on/off etc.

In the case of your TV, the vpn would be installed on the tv. But lots of smart TVs are limited as to what apps/vpn setup you can have. 

You may be able to do something like have the vpn on a PC/laptop then share the PC internet with the TV. Or cast the PC to the TV.

Not exactly legal, but there are lots of apps for getting geolocked content. Redbox, TVmob, swiftstreams etc.

4 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

You may be able to do something like have the vpn on a PC/laptop then share the PC internet with the TV. Or cast the PC to the TV.

That is what I do in order to watch BBC iPlayer, but connect the laptop via an HDMI cable.....I use Nord VPN.

5 hours ago, pomchop said:

There are a few ways, as mentioned.

Yes, you can download the VPNs helper app onto your smart TV, then turn it on and off as required. This is the simplest method. I have a firestick, with surfshark VPN helper app to watch iPlayer - it automatically connects to the UK server on startup. You could do this for the states, either automatically or manually.

I run another VPN on my computer, which I manually switch on and off as required.

Edited by recom273

On 11/24/2022 at 7:26 PM, London Lowf said:

I am with NordVPN - last year I paid $59.00 and this year was quoted $106.44 to renew. I sent a terse complaint and they replied "Our costs grew with these upgrades, and that led to the price change." I cancelled the auto-renewal and was going to move away but two weeks later got another email offering me two years for $83.23 (includes 20% UK tax) which I accepted - a week later I got another email to say that they'd given me an extra month.

However, I only ever use it in Thailand to link with UK-based TV channels that are geographically limited and on this visit I have noticed that the BBC seem to know that I am using a VPN although it only causes minor issues. Eurosport (now part of Discovery for live/rerun Superbikes) and Channel 4 (F1 highlights), my main targets, are fine.

I learnt a long time ago, to play all these websites that provide these internet services at their own game. Every time I need to renew a program I look for a similar program doing the same job. They call the initial download an introductory offer. So just keep on changing programs on renewal and remain on the introductory offers. May I add I fluked a VPN by the name of FAST VPN. It works perfectly US$ 12 per annum. Even ZENMATE is worth a try.

1 hour ago, Seppius said:

Ivacy has been my favourite for a few years now, not so well known so speeds good

Stiil got good deals on, Ivacy

At this point it looks like you're just advertising that service with all your affiliate links. Makes me less likely to choose them. Seeing that they are using stuff like Google Analytics to track users actually is a no-go IMHO.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Testing and trying 5 vpn providers and the best out the  top ranked and recommended is ExpressVpn for my purpose, but also the most expensive one. I asked for a promo via chat, and got one coupon from them without any questions. Still the most expensive offer I got. NordVpn second best in my opinion! 

https://www.expressvpn.com/

On 11/25/2022 at 6:27 AM, eisfeld said:

I checked today and achieved speeds up to 700Mbps from Thailand to servers in Europe and USA using an ethernet connection and slightly lower speeds connected to WIFI. Internet service in Thailand seems suitable and reliable to date in my experience with excellent thru-put to overseas servers.

9 hours ago, liddelljohn said:

I use my 4g phone hotspot in Thailand  to send signal wifi to laptop or smart TV  which vpn would you reccomend , I tried Nord and it was bad for UK sports and BBC   got some results with windscribe but a  bit slow

I use my 4g phone as hotspot to, and stream tv and movies without problems. Often as low as 12mb with vpn, but lately average 22mb. Without 30ish. 

ExpressVpn best for my use.