Foreign tourist rescued from drowning at Kata Beach

webfact

image.jpeg

PHOTO: Wannisa Kumban

By Goongnang Suksawat

Kata – A male foreign tourist has been rescued from drowning at Kata Beach.

Ms. Wannisa Kumban who is a local at the area told the Phuket Express that there was a group of foreign tourists who were still in the water before the night fell after lifeguards had left after working hours.

One of the male tourists was struggling in the waves before his friends pulled him up from the water. A local man who is a former lifeguard was nearby. He provided the victim with first aid while waiting for emergency responders to arrive.

Full story: https://thephuketexpress.com/2022/11/24/foreign-tourist-rescued-from-drowning-at-kata-beach/

The-Phuket-Express-Logo-Small-300x121.png
-- © Copyright The Phuket Express 2022-11-25

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

2 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

It doesn't look like night fell to me, based on the photo. Maybe it was an early knock off day for the "surf lifesavers".

Surf lifesaving should be on the Thai Volounteer Visa list for appropriately trained foreign lifesavers. That, some fresh training of local lifesavers and some more donated equipment would be very handy indeed, especially in Phuket.

One of the most sensible suggestions I have read on here in a long time.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

It doesn't look like night fell to me, based on the photo. Maybe it was an early knock off day for the "surf lifesavers".

Surf lifesaving should be on the Thai Volounteer Visa list for appropriately trained foreign lifesavers. That, some fresh training of local lifesavers and some more donated equipment would be very handy indeed, especially in Phuket.

They get trained by Aussie Lifesaving Association twice a year, face to face. Aussie lifeguards are the best in the world. I've attending these training's personally and they're top-notch.

BUT, if you have poor standards locally e.g. fitness, rescue-board, and swimming skills AND lack of AAA equipment, and the time and money to have lifeguards train to use them with Masters level skill, then, add to that people who can't swim in anything but still lake waters entering turbulent moving water then a lotta people are gunna get into difficulty and some of those will drown. Add again holiday partying with alcohol in the body and people gunna die.

In Aussie, where I come from, the numbers of foreigners each summer who drown or rescued on the well known tourist areas is staggering and we have the best lifeguard observation and response system and personnel in the world.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

ust another superhero tourists that think he have no limits. The Thais are laughing at us.

You speak for all the Thai’s now ???? 

This was someone going for a swim.. could have had cramp for all we know.

Your comments, as usual... ’Thai good, non Thai bad’ is ridiculous, you’d have been beside yourself if the news was that this foreigner was British !!! .... But it still astonishes me how you can always ’spin a simple story’ into something negative and ‘anti-foreigner (or Brit) and Pro-Thai’....

Do you have nothing good to say of the other foreigners who recused this man ?

& yes, of course, props to the Thai who also assisted offering first aid. 

What time does the lifeguards work day finish ??...   it looks fairly light... 

I think it gets dark in Phuket at about 6pm...  Lifeguards working until 5pm ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

You speak for all the Thai’s now ???? 

This was someone going for a swim.. could have had cramp for all we know.

Your comments, as usual... ’Thai good, non Thai bad’ is ridiculous, you’d have been beside yourself if the news was that this foreigner was British !!! .... But it still astonishes me how you can always ’spin a simple story’ into something negative and ‘anti-foreigner (or Brit) and Pro-Thai’....

Do you have nothing good to say of the other foreigners who recused this man ?

& yes, of course, props to the Thai who also assisted offering first aid. 

What time does the lifeguards work day finish ??...   it looks fairly light... 

I think it gets dark in Phuket at about 6pm...  Lifeguards working until 5pm ?

So, now you are there again, with my view. It seems like you have big problem with that. Why don´t you make your life better and post your own view. 

As usual, your way of looking at my comment is distorted and wierd.

1 hour ago, JayClay said:

He was swimming... Not bearfist bear fighting.

Most of whom can't swim??

Yeah, swimming in unruly waters and can´t handle it. What do you call that. Stupid or not knowing your limits?

Being able to swim is not a necessity for having the capability to laugh.

14 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

So, now you are there again, with my view. It seems like you have big problem with that. Why don´t you make your life better and post your own view. 

As usual, your way of looking at my comment is distorted and wierd.

As usual, it is your comment which is distorted and weird which is why its been so easy to flag it with further comment... 

I already presented my thoughts - This was someone going for a swim.. could have had cramp for all we know.

i.e. we don’t know what happened...   but your post stating that ’The Thai’s are laughing at us’... is just downright strange.... as if you really have some issues comprehending the world around you and make these extremely bizarre, strange, weird and outlandish assumptions... 

... Do you really think all the Thai’s are laughing at us ???...  And not too busy getting on with their own lives not to really give even so much as a passing thought ?

Perhaps you think the Thai’s laugh at us so much because you think they laugh at you ??

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

As usual, it is your comment which is distorted and weird which is why its been so easy to flag it with further comment... 

I already presented my thoughts - This was someone going for a swim.. could have had cramp for all we know.

i.e. we don’t know what happened...   but your post stating that ’The Thai’s are laughing at us’... is just downright strange.... as if you really have some issues comprehending the world around you and make these extremely bizarre, strange, weird and outlandish assumptions... 

... Do you really think all the Thai’s are laughing at us ???...  And not too busy getting on with their own lives not to really give even so much as a passing thought ?

Perhaps you think the Thai’s laugh at us so much because you think they laugh at you ??

Yeah Richard. They not laugh at you. Now pinch yourself.

29 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:
2 hours ago, JayClay said:

He was swimming... Not bearfist bear fighting.

Most of whom can't swim??

Yeah, swimming in unruly waters and can´t handle it. What do you call that. Stupid or not knowing your limits?

Oh dear...   going for a swim and having a cramp, getting caught out by a wave etc can happen to anyone...   even lifeguards can get into trouble in open water.... 

Its clear there is a lot you do not understand with your ridiculous sweeping statements which only serve to highlight your aim to ‘blame the foreigner’ no matter how innocent they are of any wrongdoing. 

You’v made no comment of the foreigners who helped out... why is that ?...  because you can’t find a negative angle against them too ??? 

29 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Being able to swim is not a necessity for having the capability to laugh.

You’re weird...  your comments are so non-sensical... 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Oh dear...   going for a swim and having a cramp, getting caught out by a wave etc can happen to anyone...   even lifeguards can get into trouble in open water.... 

Its clear there is a lot you do not understand with your ridiculous sweeping statements which only serve to highlight your aim to ‘blame the foreigner’ no matter how innocent they are of any wrongdoing. 

You’v made no comment of the foreigners who helped out... why is that ?...  because you can’t find a negative angle against them too ??? 

You’re weird...  your comments are so non-sensical... 

Or it might be you that don´t understand. However, I let that argument sleep, as you would be on it as a rabbit on another rabbit.

The foreigner that helped out should have a medal. See, no negative angle, and I could post it. Just mean you were wrong again.

You, know, the weird part, I leave to you and the rabbits. ????