External hdd with sata connector inside!

wildpuppet72

Seagate 2.5" external USB 3 hard disk has a standard SATA drive inside and then SATA to USB converter. WD has USB connector on the drive itself so it can't be used internally connected to SATA.

Learned about that when Seagate drive failed, took it apart and found out disk inside is still working, so I just put it in another enclosure. No such luck with WD that failed shortly after.

EDIT: Seagate was 2TB Backup Plus Slim. WD was 2TB My Passport.

Seagate: https://www.jib.co.th/web/index.php/product/readProduct/34175/

WD: https://www.jib.co.th/web/product/readProduct/39817/298/2-TB-PORTABLE-HDD--ฮาร์ดดิสก์พกพา--WD-MY-PASSPORT--WHITE---WDBYVG0020BWT-

Edited by tomazbodner
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tomazbodner said:

Now I see Toshiba is similar in design to WD. That's what a WD external drive would look like, as well.

Can you recommend me a hdd where I can remove the usb pcb board and use it for sata hdd in my ps4 it have to be slim and have to be removable for me to use it 

1 hour ago, JayClay said:

Can't you use an internal drive with a USB enclosure?

No need a 2tb that I can install in a ps4 so a USB enclosure won't do me anything good .that's why I asked which external hdd still uses sata connector inside the enclosure so I can use that external hdd way cheaper than internal hdd that's why I wanted to use that look at the picture I posted already 

18 hours ago, wildpuppet72 said:

No need a 2tb that I can install in a ps4 so a USB enclosure won't do me anything good .that's why I asked which external hdd still uses sata connector inside the enclosure so I can use that external hdd way cheaper than internal hdd that's why I wanted to use that look at the picture I posted already 

If it's way cheaper then it's probably a scam and you'll loose all your data. If it's a little cheaper then okay, but anything you dismantle will possibly be a one-way process (you may not be able to put the hard disk back in the box).

However I'm pretty sure the WD drives don't have a SATA interface; I think they use a custom usb controller soldered to the board... maybe that's why they're a bit cheaper.

• Thanks 1