Bangkok public transport is going electric

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Bangkok will have 1,250 electric buses made by a Thai company

Thanks Thailand, I'm sure Chinese BYD will appreciate the competition (and betrayal?).

March 20, 2015

BYD Enters Thai Market With K9 Electric Buses and e6 EVs

https://electriccarsreport.com/2015/03/byd-enters-thai-market-with-k9-electric-buses-and-e6-evs/

• The two models to be launched simultaneously are: K9 electric bus with the length of 12 meters, 250 horsepower, and a single charge of 5 hours yielding the driving range of 250 km

Sept. 8, 2022

China’s BYD Signs Deal to Build First EV Plant in Thailand

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-09-08/china-s-byd-signs-land-deal-to-build-first-ev-plant-in-thailand

• Thai plant will be Chinese EV maker’s first in Southeast Asia

• Like 1

You can burn diesel or you can use electric buses that get their electricity from coal fired plants. There is a lot of natural gas, which of course maybe better than coal, BUT in November 2021, during the COP26 climate summit in Glasgow, the Thai delegation announced ambitious plans to achieve carbon neutrality by 2050 and net-zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2065. Five months later, the country is adding four new coal-fired power generators to its grid (to power those electric buses I presume). The cabinet has approved the first two plants, that will have an installed capacity of 660 megawatts. They are scheduled to  operate from 2026 to 2050, and will form part of a series of coal-powered generators in the Mae Moh power plant, probably the dirtiest plant in Thailand. As the world increasingly recognizes the need to phase out coal, Thailand looks to be moving toward the fossil fuel. That should make Thailand the hub of CO2

When we read about these electric vehicles being introduced, the first thought should be, where is the electricity coming from?

The largest coal power plant.

• Thumbs Up 1

I doubt the satellite tracking will show the number of passengers aboard. The app would indicate by colour the density of passengers. The range looks impressive but will only be achieved with AC off and windows open to PM 2.5 et al. Full charge in 15 minutes? Surrounding properties will need to evaluate their fire insurance.....

It's a start from the point of reducing city emissions but let's see an honest performance report after 12 months operation. Fare increases on the way.

On 11/28/2022 at 9:04 AM, it is what it is said:

I know. I know all the arguments against these great old beasts, but similar to the routemaster in london, i've ridden these iconic buses for years, they're part of my history and, for me, part of bangkok. i'll miss the wooden floored, fume spouting old girls...

DSCF0566.JPG

These buses will still be around for a number of years even though the BMTA is attempting to replace much of the fleet. The BMTA has asked the govt to provide funds to update the fleet for around 12 years now Including a request for 5000 new aircon and non aircon buses after the junta came to power. At any given time around 800 buses are out of action due to age & maintenence issues) All that has been funded was the 490 NGV Bestlin buses a few years ago, but there is obviously a push to electrify the fleet.

As fares are charged according to the quality of the bus, the non-aircon buses are the cheapest (8 baht) for the poor,  min half the fare of a new NGV Bestlin bus (15-20-25 baht).

It is one of the crazy and confusing aspects of BKK buses for tourists. You can have 4 different types of buses with the same route number (BMTA non-Aircon, BMTA aircon, private operator non-aircon, private operator aircon) all with completely different fare structures. 

• Like 1