Over 130 cars sold illegally by “car for cash” dealer seized by police

webfact

image.jpeg

Crime Suppression Division police have impounded more than 130 cars, which had been pawned by their owners at a used car dealership in Chon Buri Province and which the dealer then re-sold without consent. Two suspects were taken into custody

CSD police said today (Saturday) that police searched seven locations in Chon Buri, Nonthaburi and Chachoengsao provinces after they received complaints from car owners, who claimed that they could not redeem cars which had been pawned with a car dealer in Chon Buri, allegedly linked to the “Jae Ploy Chon Buri” network.

One of the owners said that when he went back to settle the debt and get his car back, he was told that the car had already been sold.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/over-130-cars-sold-illegally-by-car-for-cash-dealer-seized-by-police/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-11-28

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, dpcjsr said:

The government is desperate for cash. Recent stories include seizing cars, yachts, airplanes, and drugs. Fines have been increased across the board. 

What has that got to do with some private pawn broker/ car dealer selling off vehicles?

• Like 2

I know someone who’s car was borrowed then pawned all with out documents, she never got car back because police wasn’t interested and conec.     I couldn’t close an internet contract at my home without lots of documents because ex wife took it out but sell a vehicle that’s not yours is easy

10 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Not a new concept, what countries can you NOT pawn your car ?

Uk if it has any outstanding finance on it. Refinancing but stricked financial regulation apply. If a bank lends you money to buy a car/anything and you are not in a financial position to pay back the loan then its the banks fault however if you lie on the application that's fraud and big trouble......

7 hours ago, BritScot said:

Uk if it has any outstanding finance on it. Refinancing but stricked financial regulation apply. If a bank lends you money to buy a car/anything and you are not in a financial position to pay back the loan then its the banks fault however if you lie on the application that's fraud and big trouble......

Right, so if the vehicle has no outstanding finance the owner can pawn it.

Thanks for the long winded reply.

On 11/28/2022 at 9:45 PM, Ralf001 said:

Only if they have the V5C document and in the uk anyone can check if there is finance on a vehicle. It is not straightforward and something that is very uncommon in the uk, infact I've never heard of it!

On 11/28/2022 at 9:45 PM, Ralf001 said:

Maybe but I've never heard of it. The storage would prohibit it as you can't exactly park it in the shop. I just had a look and pawning vehicles I've just found are for luxury/sports/prestigious vehicles not bobs pickup. You can however refinance.

14 hours ago, BritScot said:

Maybe but I've never heard of it. The storage would prohibit it as you can't exactly park it in the shop. I just had a look and pawning vehicles I've just found are for luxury/sports/prestigious vehicles not bobs pickup. You can however refinance.

No, that is not the case... I had a neighbour used to pawn his and it was just a reasonable condition pick up. Got short of cash sometimes and work was hard to find, he could do without transport for a week or so.