Koi pond pressure filter

itsari

I believe that the pump can create about 30 psi which is around 2 bar 

I therefore need a pressure filter that can operate at 3 bar minimum .

There are many swimming pool sand filters that can withstand 4 bar , but not it seems with fishpond filters 

1 hour ago, itsari said:

I believe that the pump can create about 30 psi which is around 2 bar 

I therefore need a pressure filter that can operate at 3 bar minimum .

There are many swimming pool sand filters that can withstand 4 bar , but not it seems with fishpond filters 

You can buy in GH a (swimming pool) filter with 6-way valve for 7,000 Baht. Or any steel pressure vessel filter (with backwashing valves) as it's used for general use house water system in villages after the storage tank.

The backwashing will be surely needed, the waste from the fish is enormous - especially if you feed them generously.

The other - less powerful - system is to have the outlet water flown (with the shi t) by gravitation into another sedimentation tank(s) (with a cascade partitions) where from the cleaner water is pumped back into the fish pond once the level switch "high" in the last cascade section will switch ON.   The flow rate control by hand valve - from fully open to 50%, to fully closed (at night when the fish sleep ????) . No need to run 24/7.  So I have it working for years with 25 pcs.     

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Saanim said:

You can buy in GH a (swimming pool) filter with 6-way valve for 7,000 Baht. Or any steel pressure vessel filter (with backwashing valves) as it's used for general use house water system in villages after the storage tank.

The backwashing will be surely needed, the waste from the fish is enormous - especially if you feed them generously.

The other - less powerful - system is to have the outlet water flown (with the shi t) by gravitation into another sedimentation tank(s) (with a cascade partitions) where from the cleaner water is pumped back into the fish pond once the level switch "high" in the last cascade section will switch ON.   The flow rate control by hand valve - from fully open to 50%, to fully closed (at night when the fish sleep ????) . No need to run 24/7.  So I have it working for years with 25 pcs.     

I thank you for your reply.

I ask if it is possible to send a link to the GH filter you quoted .

Thanks again 

26 minutes ago, itsari said:

I thank you for your reply.

I ask if it is possible to send a link to the GH filter you quoted .

Thanks again 

I am not up to date, will show you my picture, you have to ask in your local GH. The stores throughout Thailand do not have always the same assortment. And perhaps they have now one smaller one. 

Sand Filter.jpg

• Thanks 1

better use high flow low head type pump for pond filter

possible pressure filter not design for pressure from this centrifugal type pump

problem worse if filter begin blockage

can move 6000 liters/hour from 100 watt low head pump

pondfun-com.jpg.6b2cbe1b6fe7d496c046f1df0bfcc509.jpg

I am using this high head pump 0.5HP for the fish pond (also for re-pumping other rain harvesting), it's cheap and easy.  The steel pressure vessel filters (or the one made from glasfiber I showed for swimming pool) will easily withstand the high pressure. And easy to clean by backwashing. Obviously, not the same is true for the small plastic filters sold by fish shops, not possible to backwash (as the picture above shows).

But you are right, when the inlet water is quite dirty while direct sucking the fish dirt (not sedimented and partly filtered as I have it), the dirt lumps will block the tiny gap in-between the two centrifugal disks. That what I was often clearing at such pump years before while using it for swimming pool (incl. floor vacuum sucking) - before I discovered Global House with the available low head, high flow pumps, not so expensive as at special pool shops.

Edited by Saanim
  • Thanks 1

On 11/28/2022 at 12:50 PM, Saanim said:

Thank you for your help.

I saw these two filters on lazada . Would they be ok for the job?

They will take 4bar

Screenshot_20221129_125601.jpg

Screenshot_20221129_125159.jpg

54 minutes ago, itsari said:

Thank you for your help.

I saw these two filters on lazada . Would they be ok for the job?

They will take 4bar

What you are showing is not the filter, but just the 6-way valve that is attached on the top of the filter. And it is overpriced. I bought it once as a spare part for replacement of my valve leaking after years, and it was some 1,500 in GH. See the picture of the filter top opening where the valve is to be attached to by bolts.

If you cannot find it on GH web, you should drive and visit a Global House in your vicinity and buy the filter complete with the valve for some 7,500 as on my previous picture).

Perhaps there are now more sizes available, you can get a smaller one for your fish pond.  And around stores of Global House (or in other gardening areas)  there are usually specialized shops where they have a good choice of various filtration systems suitable for fish ponds.

IMG_20200103.jpg

10 minutes ago, Saanim said:

What you are showing is not the filter, but just the 6-way valve that is attached on the top of the filter. And it is overpriced. I bought it once as a spare part for replacement of my valve leaking after years, and it was some 1,500 in GH. See the picture of the filter top opening where the valve is to be attached to by bolts.

If you cannot find it on GH web, you should drive and visit a Global House in your vicinity and buy the filter complete with the valve for some 7,500 as on my previous picture).

Perhaps there are now more sizes available, you can get a smaller one for your fish pond.  And around stores of Global House (or in other gardening areas)  there are usually specialized shops where they have a good choice of various filtration systems suitable for fish ponds.

IMG_20200103.jpg

I will take a trip to global house .

Thank you