Tim Newton Today - Nov 30: Thai weed roll-out FAIL, Chinese triad raids, face-masks on BTS

webfact

image.jpeg

Three main topics today, the total failure of a proper roll out of new Cannabis legislation in Thailand, a 74 year old British man has been struck on a zebra crossing in Pattaya, debate about people 'urged' to wear masks on the Bangkok BTS, and the latest in the roads on Chinese 'kingpins' and triads operating in Thailand.

Tim Newton Today is a daily, independent look at Thai and south East Asian regional news.

Thanks to our sponsor 5 Star Marine...
https://5starmarinephuket.com

The rules are what they are, medicinal use not recreational. It is unfortunate but it was truly blown out of proportion when rolled out and many totally invested themselves in it believing there were no rules. Go back and read the law.

8 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

The rules are what they are, medicinal use not recreational. It is unfortunate but it was truly blown out of proportion when rolled out and many totally invested themselves in it believing there were no rules. Go back and read the law.

i am talking about the guy in the video not the law. thanks for clearing that up though.

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Many foreigners are forsaking the face masks finally. In Bangkok I would say 90% are without masks. Closer to 95% of Thais still wear them. Could be many years before they are able to shake the indoctrination. And they seem disinclined to be the first ones without them. That takes a bit of boldness. 

Thais were wearing face masks before covid.  There is the belief that it will stop you from getting the cold or spreading germs.  They were also worn against the dust and <deleted> i the air when it was high.

Thais have gotten comfortable wearing them and feel safer (rightly or wrongly it is how they feel)  It has very little to do with the government.  

Thai parents still have their kids wearing masks because covid is still in the school system.

As to people being punished for not wearing a mask that is crazy Thais understand that some people have decided that they do not need the ask and it is their choice.

Once covid gets to a point that it is not in the news and is not as prevalent in society then you may see people taking masks off but it will not be for awhile and will probably start with the young people.

• Thumbs Up 2

Disagree with wearing face masks on BTS, there are not even announcements anymore in the trains reminding passengers to please wear them.

If a local is paranoid and blames foreigners for Covid, well chances are high he has some Chinese ancestors, the race which might be at the heart of the disease. Not saying, just saying.

Of course I wouldn't get intimidated by someone scolding at me for not wearing the mask. 

So this commentator Tim Newton seems to be more Catholic than the Pope by suggesting people not wearing the mask now are anti-Thai.

Saw his Youtube roundup for the first time now, and it will be the last time.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, heiri007 said:

Disagree with wearing face masks on BTS, there are not even announcements anymore in the trains reminding passengers to please wear them.

If a local is paranoid and blames foreigners for Covid, well chances are high he has some Chinese ancestors, the race which might be at the heart of the disease. Not saying, just saying.

Of course I wouldn't get intimidated by someone scolding at me for not wearing the mask. 

So this commentator Tim Newton seems to be more Catholic than the Pope by suggesting people not wearing the mask now are anti-Thai.

in the BTS they still announce to wear a mask. It's not mandatory anymore it's only a recommendation.

About the older Thay guy who complain a foreigner this week not to wear a mask inside BTS... most of the comments complain the Thai, that it's not mandatory anymore. and it on the person if they want wear or not!

Edited by HampiK
  • Like 1

Listen when getting on the BTS: there is the announcement. But why is it a problem for you to wear a mask for 10 mins? Hard to respect that others prefer not to breath in what you exhale? Or do you feel superior being a foreigner?

• Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Letseng said:

Listen when getting on the BTS: there is the announcement. But why is it a problem for you to wear a mask for 10 mins? Hard to respect that others prefer not to breath in what you exhale? Or do you feel superior being a foreigner?

What a racist comment. First off, am a local. Second: Just been traveling many countries, you won't see anymore masks. So why should I adapt to the local herd mentality? When more people are dying from regular flu, but no one reports it and baseless fear is upheld?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, heiri007 said:

If not wearing a mask means anti conformist, than I guess it is anti Thai, in a sense. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Thais were wearing face masks before covid.  There is the belief that it will stop you from getting the cold or spreading germs.  They were also worn against the dust and <deleted> i the air when it was high.

Thais have gotten comfortable wearing them and feel safer (rightly or wrongly it is how they feel)  It has very little to do with the government.  

Thai parents still have their kids wearing masks because covid is still in the school system.

As to people being punished for not wearing a mask that is crazy Thais understand that some people have decided that they do not need the ask and it is their choice.

Once covid gets to a point that it is not in the news and is not as prevalent in society then you may see people taking masks off but it will not be for awhile and will probably start with the young people.

@kingstonkid  I don't know why posts on here keep this myth going that Thais were wearing masks before.   Nonsense!  a small percentage maybe 5 % were, 10% absolute maximum (and that was only in Bangkok) but not the 99% now.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, paulikens said:

@kingstonkid  I don't know why posts on here keep this myth going that Thais were wearing masks before.   Nonsense!  a small percentage maybe 5 % were, 10% absolute maximum (and that was only in Bangkok) but not the 99% now.

Easy question for you, "We're they wearing masks before Covid or not". You folks try to discount this truth anyway you can.  Gotta love anti-maskers....not.

2 hours ago, Letseng said:

It is actually impossible not to breathe other people's air. But anyone who is worried about breathing in particulate matter that contains viruses can simply wear a close fitting n95 mask. No need to be fretting about what other people are wearing.

Edited by edwardandtubs

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Easy question for you, "We're they wearing masks before Covid or not". You folks try to discount this truth anyway you can.  Gotta love anti-maskers....not.

They weren't wearing masks before. I used to wear a mask long before covid due to the low air quality and I was usually the only person on the BTS carriage wearing one. Occasionally there were one or two others and the percentage increased when the media scare stories about pm2.5 increased.

51 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

They weren't wearing masks before. I used to wear a mask long before covid due to the low air quality and I was usually the only person on the BTS carriage wearing one. Occasionally there were one or two others and the percentage increased when the media scare stories about pm2.5 increased.

Keep on believing that. Many including myself wore them prior to covid, poor air quality, worn if feeling ill etc... Riding the motorbike I always wore a face gaiter with a KN 95 mask due to the exhaust.

10 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Keep on believing that. Many including myself wore them prior to covid, poor air quality, worn if feeling ill etc... Riding the motorbike I always wore a face gaiter with a KN 95 mask due to the exhaust.

Nothing you just said contradicts what I said. Many yes but it was always a minority. Let's look at a video taken shortly before 2019 of the BTS. How many masks can you spot?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sfWAMvbZlHc

21 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I have a couple of friends who have delayed or cancelled coming to Thailand until they can be sure they won't be abused for not wearing a mask. Almost everywhere in the world is now mask-free. I wonder what makes Thailand so open to Covid when other countries are not.

I think Tim summarizes the situation quite well in the above report and find his personal comments reasonable. 

At a funeral the other day I was a bit bored and took a tally of mask wearing....(yes open air). None of the farangs, only a few there, wore masks. All of the monks did. About 75% of the Thais did.... which made me feel a bit guilty for not having one on, or with me. 

14 hours ago, heiri007 said:

What a racist comment. First off, am a local. Second: Just been traveling many countries, you won't see anymore masks. So why should I adapt to the local herd mentality? When more people are dying from regular flu, but no one reports it and baseless fear is upheld?

And your comment is too. If you travel to another country, it is behooves  you to follow their laws and respect their culture. What happens in other countries is not the point.... I notice you did not consider China. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

And your comment is too. If you travel to another country, it is behooves  you to follow their laws and respect their culture. What happens in other countries is not the point.... I notice you did not consider China. 

You are correct there, been traveling to a dozen countries recently and did not consider China. Do they even let in biz people and tourists without long quarantine? So you are spot on, I did not consider China, and am accused of a racist comment now? Beware dimwits.

What comes around, goes around. Others might call it karma. Remember in January 2020, Hua Hin was sprawling with Chinese - and then the whole mayhem took its course. 

So are we to repeat the official Chinese propaganda in here that Covid was brought upon to the world by the West a.k.a. foreigners, as the elderly Thai accused a farang in the Skytrain?

It's probably safe to say, but of course not proven, that the virus somehow originated in Wuhan. Even though strains were found months before in Italy and few other places, according to wastewater analyses. 

In regards to China I don't even mind to be called a racist. Look what they do to their own people and the planet, just to mention their complete disgregard for personal freedoms, wildlife, etc. I wish China could be a source of inspiration. It is not.

As to Thais wearing masks before Covid: a few, but certainly not more than 5-10 percent. And then only when PM 2.5 count was very high.

I am a firm believer in the self-healing properties of the body, and the immune system can and has to be challenged and trained. At this stage it is likely better for the whole population to face the (weaker) strains than trying to remain uninfected, at the cost of having a non-responsive immune system that's not trained.

That doesn't mean I'm an antivaxxer. Recently got my second booster, all fine over here.

Edited by heiri007

19 hours ago, heiri007 said:

I can't stand this guy and only watched his diatribe (at 2x speed LOL) to see if you were being too hard on him or not. It turns out you were being rather polite ????

I stopped wearing a mask, including the BTS. I'm not making a political statement, I just got tired of the damn things. And if they want me to respect their rules so badly then they should hurry up and start enforcing them starting with the drivers that don't stop at pedestrian crossings. 

Oh wait, maybe I am making a political statement ????????????

14 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

Nothing you just said contradicts what I said. Many yes but it was always a minority. Let's look at a video taken shortly before 2019 of the BTS. How many masks can you spot?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sfWAMvbZlHc

Yet masks were worn so stop with the false diatribe.

It's probably safe to say, but of course not proven, that the virus somehow originated in Wuhan. Even though strains were found months before in Italy and few other places, according to wastewater analyses. 

Wuhan had strong links to parts of Italy, and many Chinese went there to work in the luxury leather goods industry. Hence Northern Italy being the initial Covid starting point in Europe. 

I too once got berated by an elderly Thai man as I had forgotten my mask, this was in a village hardware shop, early Covid days, He was correct, my behaviour was ignorant....

• Like 1