Point system to curb traffic violations to be enforced from January 9th

snoop1130

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

''Points will be automatically returned after one year. If only six points are left, the driver can attend a training course, arranged by the Land Transport Department, to restore points. If all the points are deducted, the driver will have their license suspended for 90 days''.

Basically totally worthless. 

Lose half points for driving about peshes, go watch a video, get all points back and repeat. 

Thailand needs a strong deterrent, which none of these inadequate and incompetent feardies are able enough to implement. Probably because they are all getting peshed up themselves and driving home in expensive cars. 

Edited by Mr Meeseeks

4 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

If on IDP, then this is a tourist on some kind of visa, so while they could not cancel person's national license, they could probably invalidate visa, for example.

Would presumably require some cooperation between immigration and regular police. I just don't see it happening, nor have heard of it. I have heard of police threatening to take those convicted of DUI to immigration to get their Visa/Permission of Stay cancelled, but it is usually to get some money off you.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Hammerite said:

Anyone seen the movie DEATH RACE 2000. 

The Thai boy racers will treat this as  a competition to see who can get the most points!!! So someone gets killed , do a runner abroad and the cops don't care.

Not to see who can get the most points but lose the most points......

5 hours ago, actonion said:

Another big waste of time , paper, and print....... when are they going to do something about pedestrians being  hurt  or killed on pedestran crossings?............ Nothing   as  we well know

No! Not nothing. One point will be deducted from a guilty driver's licence. Ooh.....the shame.....????

What a joke. You can stand on any sidewalk in Thailand and watch the traffic amd you see regular law breaking. I did a trial run on one road in the Dusit area and the longest I could count to without seeing a traffic violation was 40 seconds. That was just me passing the time one day while I was walking. 

The RTP are generally lazy and corrupt and turn a blind eye to any violations that occur unless there is the potential for personal economic gain or unless the bosses set up a media circus police blitz event. There may be exceptions to my statement but I believe it to be largely correct. This is borne out by the regular media exposure of "dirty cops".

• Haha 1

"Enforced" is a pretty key word here. They don't improve 'enforcement', they simply put in more rules which could be enforced in an imaginary land where there would be traffic police and proper driving instruction.

I saw a while ago how they are bringing in AI to help with crossings too. My local crossing has no AI, or lights - but they did put some plastic pipes with red cloth attached (not so useful at night)... this despite the fact that both sides of the road has 4 lanes.

So does this mean that, next time I go to pick up my wife and start to cross at the crossing, as the cars flash their lights and continue driving past (often accelerating) there will suddenly be some kind of enforcement?

Would it also imply that the three scooters who crashed trying to stop last week would be able to sue the local authority for placing a pedestrian crossing without sufficiently clear signage or lighting?

Would there suddenly be a special camera which will start issuing fines for cars based on their close proximity at any speed on normal roads?

Or will this only apply to the few cameras that they put up to collect money?

2 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Basically totally worthless. 

Lose half points for driving about peshes, go watch a video, get all points back and repeat. 

Thailand needs a strong deterrent, which none of these inadequate and incompetent feardies are able enough to implement. Probably because they are all getting peshed up themselves and driving home in expensive cars. 

To be quite frank, this new system is unlikely to have any impact on my life whatsoever. I was simply providing some information to two guys that seemed unable to find for themselves.

Back in Feb when I visited Hua Hin at the night market there was a family... Husband, wife, 2 kids and the family dog sitting on drivers lap and front paws stretched out to handlebars all on one motorcycle, not a helmet in sight, lights not on, 1 of the kids was actually a baby. Pulling that lot over should blow right through the 11 points allowed with some to spare.

And about motorcycle taxis; very few passengers are wearing a helmet, but driver doesn't get the ticket, the passenger does. Both should be given a ticket; also who "potential passengers" carries a helmet around with them, just for the off chance they might take a motorcycle taxi. To me licensed motorcycle taxis should be required to:

1. carry an extra helmet  "probably some sanitary issues there to deal with"

2. not be allowed to pickup a passenger, if there is not a "available" helmet

or the licensed driver is ticketed.

that in itself should go a long way to reduce the annual death rate/serious injuries totals.

On 12/2/2022 at 9:19 AM, topt said:

I am struggleing with what builders have to do with foreigners in the above sentence..........

Let alone the following numbers :ermm:

Thais do not work on building sites - they do not like hard work, the workers are generally foreigners - Burmese, Cambodian, Lao.  There are several million with work permits but they or the contractor who houses them are still "fined" by the police

On 12/1/2022 at 5:33 PM, snoop1130 said:

Each driving license holder will be given 12 points and they will be deducted for each violation they are caught committing.

I think it would get violators off the roads sooner if the guy who hits the motorists driving the wrong way on a road got to add the 2 points that the wrong driver lost to his points giving him more points.

• Thanks 1

On 12/1/2022 at 2:54 AM, engamann said:

And when them get to much points and lose the right to drive them will just keep driving like nothing happen.

I doubt it. You'll get arrested. Just like in the western nanny police states. I sure dont like it when Thailand adopts this bs from the west

On the discussion of driving ...

What is the law regarding making a L turn at a red light?

I'm sure some corners are marked (in Thai) about no L turn on red light, but I would think most are not.  Scooters seem to just go with no slowing or stopping ...

On 12/4/2022 at 6:28 AM, Harsh Jones said:

I doubt it. You'll get arrested. Just like in the western nanny police states. I sure dont like it when Thailand adopts this bs from the west

Hey most Thais don't have a driving licence in the first place so how will this system change anything , and if you have lived in Thailand for awhile you will know that most of the new rules and regulations them come up whit never do anything since the police are to lazy to do police work.

On 12/2/2022 at 12:51 AM, MadMuhammad said:

3 points for DUI. Great! I can get busted 3 times in 12 months driving on the turps before losing my ticket. What a time to be alive 

Actually as long as you only kill 2 separate children each year by drunk driving "Points will be automatically returned after one year."

On 12/4/2022 at 9:49 PM, engamann said:

Hey most Thais don't have a driving licence in the first place so how will this system change anything , and if you have lived in Thailand for awhile you will know that most of the new rules and regulations them come up whit never do anything since the police are to lazy to do police work.

That's ecouraging. I like Thailand the way it is. 

On 12/9/2022 at 9:36 PM, Geordieabroad said:

You can get done for drink driving 3 times in a year before you get a 90 day ban and then get your points back on January 1st, then start all over again, what a joke

Wouldn't want the whole economy to sieze up because half of the working age male population is in jail bc of drunk driving